It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked files expose Heartland Institute

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Leaked files expose Heartland Institute

www.newscientist.com

The tables have been well and truly turned in "deniergate", the leak of documents from a key climate-sceptic think tank in the US

Environmental campaigners and climate scientists have been engaging in a merry bout of schadenfreude after the disclosure of sensitive internal documents from the Heartland Institute, a free-market think tank based in Chicago that has been at the forefront of lobbying against cuts in greenhouse-gas emissions.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blog.nj.com
www.livescience.com
www.whiotv.com

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The tables have been turned! The campaign to confuse the public about the reality of global warming has had some of its darkest secrets brought to light. Are we surprised that the donors include Big Pharma? Whether or not you believe that carbon emissions from human activities are the main culprit, you cannot afford to turn a blind eye to the phenomenon. There is big money trying to confuse the issue. Follow the money!

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

There may be criminal charges over this incident ...I guess some of the docs.are fradulent ..There is a good disscusion going on at WUWT ...The fat lady has not sung yet on this one ...peace

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

Of course the Heartland Institute will claim they're fake. It's not as if they are overly concerned with the truth. They are, by their very nature, corporate shills.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If the leaked docs are fake as they claim,

then lets see the real ones !!!

I bet that never happens.....

unless of course, they fake some new ones to be released

Caught RED Green Handed !!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It's already been nicked "fakegate". No dice, the docs are shown by OTHER people to be fake, not the institute itself.

WUWT

While i appreciate that this is all just hearsay, critical evidence that the files are genuine is missing. The onus is now on YOU to prove the validity of the files, based on the analyses at the above link, or any other that you can produce.

This is a HOAX e-mail release, and as has been pointed out, criminal charges are pending.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Record $6 Trillion of Fake U.S. Bonds Seized www.bloomberg.com... now that is a fake ...peace

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Not the least bit surprising .
"Free Market Think tanks",
should be called what they are.
"Absolutely Anything for a buck tanks" .
Earth, climate and people be damned.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Here's what Heartland says:

Apologies: The Heartland Institute apologizes to the donors whose identities were revealed by this theft. We promise anonymity to many of our donors, and we realize that the major reason these documents were stolen and faked was to make it more difficult for donors to support our work. We also apologize to Heartland staff, directors, and our allies in the fight to bring sound science to the global warming debate, who have had their privacy violated and their integrity impugned.

heartland.org...

This is an admission that the list of donors is accurate. As I said, "follow the money."

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Money money who has the money? this is a comment from WUWT ..now follow that money.. wattsupwiththat.com... What some of the (allegedly) true documents show is how little funding is given to skeptics/deniers/call them what you want, when you compare it to how much money is piled into the AGW side of the debate (I hope the links work okay):
Carbon Trading: In 2009 the global market for carbon credits was $144B (I kid you not) www.carbonflow.com...
Exxon: paid more than 20 times as much for a single renewables research project than it did to skeptics www.nytimes.com...
Since 1990, Dr Jones and CRU have endowments of at least 22.6 million. This includes money from organisations attempting to make money from ‘renewables’, such as the Carbon Trust, the Northern Energy Initiative, and the Energy Saving Trust www.americanthinker.com...
Greenpeace: total income of 58 million euros in 2010 www.greenpeace.org...
The US govt is spending millions of dollars a day on global warming ‘research’. dailybail.com...
As you can see, I haven’t been rude and I’ve just tried to provide what I believe are reasonably solid facts.
Why won’t you let my comments through? Surely you should allow at least a few comments through from the skeptic side of the debate, because if you don’t your blog will just turn into an echo-chamber of AGWers telling each other how wonderful they are.
Are you afraid of debate?
Regards,

Andy Wilkins”

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
there was actually a book written about the denying a couple of years ago, and in it they went into the Global-warming denialists, the Smoking is dangerous denialists, the DDT-campaign and others . In it they showed all the links between the front-companies paying for the denial campaigns. If I remember correctly, lots of the bigshot legal people involved were also payed by the tobacco-companies for their "Their is no proof that smoking is dangerous" and other campaigns.

the book is called "Merchants of Doubt", and is written by Erik M. Conway and Naomi Oreskes. I think some of you might find it highly interesting reading.
edit on 17/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

But it's not just AGW that's on the table. They take money from Big Pharma to encourage the FDA to streamline the drug approval process. They take money from Microsoft and Time-Warner, presumably to lobby for "intellectual property" legislation... like SOPA and PIPA. They are mercenaries.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

This is a HOAX e-mail release, and as has been pointed out, criminal charges are pending.

But will never be pursued. If the documents were stolen, they are authentic. If they are fake, the defense will subpoena Heartland's e-mails in an effort to prove they are real. Heartland wouldn't want that. Heartland wants the whole thing to just go away, so they can slip back beneath the floorboards.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

But it's not just AGW that's on the table. They take money from Big Pharma to encourage the FDA to streamline the drug approval process. They take money from Microsoft and Time-Warner, presumably to lobby for "intellectual property" legislation... like SOPA and PIPA. They are mercenaries.

I agree with you, but I don't want to spoil my weekend becoming involved in a heated debate, might be in another mood later, but it is so interesting, seeing the same (highly paid) names in the campaigns denying smoking is dangerours, denying global warming, denying DDT is dangerous, denying destruction of the Ozone layer, denying acid rain ....

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

New York Times climate blogger Andrew Revkin on Tuesday afternoon was one of the first to print fake documents attributed to The Heartland Institute. One of Heartland’s senior fellows for environmental policy exchanged some emails today with Revkin, pointing out there were “inaccuracies” in the documents that he posted online — without first verifying their authenticity with The Heartland Institute.

It appears Revkin’s journalistic ethics were reawakened upon his realization that he’s been “had” by lefitst alamarists. Here’s Revkin’s response to our senior fellow from this afternoon: From: Andrew Revkin [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:23 PM
To: Craig Idso
Subject: Re: the strategy doc

looking back, it could well be something that was created as a way to assemble the core points in the batch of related docs.

there are other errors that another reporter noticed. and of course heartland is now saying all the other docs are – at best – stolen and/or of uncertain provenance/accuracy til Bast gets on the ground..

wacky stuff, this end of the climate fight.blog.heartland.org...

I am not sure what they have put out and what might get distorted ..We know MSM is becoming a mockery ,all you have to do is look at some of the Ron Paul threads exposing this crap ..Now I am not saying they are innocent of anything only that the topic in this thread needs to be understood and looked at ..not from one side or the other ..seems some bad people doing bad things and convincing others to go along for the ride
peace

edit on 17-2-2012 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Follow the money indeed. The global warming scam has been profitable to many. This is merely a distraction.

I don't doubt that this institute has dubious moral standards, but this isn't the evidence for it.

We pay "carbon tax" on new cars, it's not "climate deniers" who have the controlling interest, or the money.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
reply to post by DJW001

Follow the money indeed. The global warming scam has been profitable to many. This is merely a distraction.

I don't doubt that this institute has dubious moral standards, but this isn't the evidence for it.

We pay "carbon tax" on new cars, it's not "climate deniers" who have the controlling interest, or the money.

Indeed, but I guess not too many people that believe in AGW looks rosely at the carbon taxes as well. I think a lot of us think that is just a way, as always, that some people want to make money out of everything, and those people that is all for the carbon taxes, don't really care about the issues behind it, they just see it as a way to make even more money .....
edit on 17/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
LOL

This farce of a 'leak' is so clumsy....

You really shouldn't let the media "play" on your sentiments:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Both camps need to be shamed over how they play stupid media games to make their politically expedient press releases.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I thought I would add this latest bit in the crazy saga called Global Warming , err I mean Climate Change, FEBRUARY 20, 2012: Earlier this evening, Peter Gleick, a prominent figure in the global warming movement, confessed to stealing electronic documents from The Heartland Institute in an attempt to discredit and embarrass a group that disagrees with his views. wattsupwiththat.com...-57134

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Yeah i didn't want to stir this pot, but since you have already

Peter Gleick, Pacific Institute, Oakland, California is the Chair of the ETHICS COMMITTEE!!!!

Let's be clear, he has lectured others on ethics in science, and he's nothing more than a common thief and fraud. His only redeeming quality is having the grace to admit, although only after his fingers were caught.

Does evidence get any more blatant than this?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join