It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Trained Gang Members Worry FBI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Military Trained Gang Members Worry FBI

...[T]here is a problem that's become so serious; the FBI calls it a threat to our national security.

The FBI has identified 53 different gangs in the military. They are in every branch, although it's worse in the Army, Army Reserves and National Guard.

...the average person has no idea how big a problem it is.

As the war ends, gang member soldiers come home and are tougher to take down because of their weapons and combat training--training we paid for.

Gang members in the military are tagging their gang affiliation on Humvees and walls overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan.

While I hadn't learned of this before now, it's apparently something that has been watched for several years...

See also:

Gang Members Get Trained in the Army

Report: Afghan, Iraq wars teaching US gang members military combat

The FBI Announces Gangs Have Infiltrated Every Branch Of The Military

What a mess... :shk:

FBI Says Gangs Infiltrating the US Military

The U.S. military is facing a "significant criminal threat" from gangs, including prison and biker gangs, whose members have found their way into the ranks, according to an FBI-led investigation.

Some gang members get into the military to escape the streets, but then end up reconnecting once in, while others target the services specifically for the combat and weapons training, the National Gang Intelligence Center says in a just-released 2011 National Gang Threat Assessment/Emerging Trends.

Whatever the reasons, it's a bad mix.

""Gang members with military training pose a unique threat to law enforcement personnel because of their distinctive weapons and combat training skills and their ability to transfer these skills to fellow gang members," the report states. Gang members have been reported in every branch of the armed forces, though a large proportion of them have been affiliated with the Army, the Army Reserves or Army National Guard, it says.

The latest report devotes four pages to the problem and lists about 50 gangs with members with military backgrounds.

In the past three years, it states, law enforcement officials in more than 100 jurisdictions have encountered, detained or arrested a gang member who was on active-duty or a former servicemember.

edit on 17-2-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I remember in early 2000's when military officials started to shift from the "there is no evidence of this" position to the "we have some indication but it isnt widespread" position.

I guess now, a decade later, it's a forgone conclusion.

I wonder how many will work their way into law enforcement positions since that's basically the "gimmie" job for military personnel when they leave.

In the end it's all just one gang or another. The branches of service all have their slogans, colors, rituals, perspectives and rivalries.

An army guy punching a Navy really any different from a Crip punching a Blood or a cop punching a non-cop?

The FBI isnt worried about gangs per se. It's worried about gangs that arent on its side.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Fasinating read!

I haddnt given it a thought before, that really sounds like a recipy for disaster.

The goverment is right to be worried about it.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Greaaaat. So we move in to an area, rustle it up, kill the locals, blow up buildings and houses, crap a few Starbucks and McD's, tag em with gang signs. Move on.

Why the world doesn't still idolize us is a thing of mystery.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I wonder how many will work their way into law enforcement positions since that's basically the "gimmie" job for military personnel when they leave.

My thought exactly...

Things just seem to get worse.

I guess we have to learn the hard way...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Maybe that's what we need, the right incentives and these members act against the cartels...

The Govts' of the US and Mexico have done a bang up job so far.

I mean it can't get any worse right?

/s

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Not new at all. Several OMG's (Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs) have deep roots in the military being formed by veterans from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. I'm old enough to remember the faux outrage from the first Gulf War when service members were showing gang signs when on TV. The military is made up of a pretty fair mix from our population and our population includes gang members. I don't think it's as widespread as the FBI makes it out to be although I've been out of the service completely for 8 years now. If it's any worse than the historical norm, it's because of the lowering of recruiting standards from '01--the start of the recession.

Did I know people who had gang ties while I was in the Army? Yup, Outlaws OMG, Crips, Bloods, Gangster Disciples, Bandidos OMG, and probably others. Those unable to meet the military's rules and participated in criminal activity(usually drugs) were kicked out when caught. I don't think this is anywhere as big of an issue as the FBI is making it out to be. Can you imagine being a Cop in 1946-50 when millions of combat experienced vets were re-integrating into society?

IMHO the FBI is releasing this as a cry for more funding for themselves and or monitoring of veterans. Which from a conspiratorial view makes sense. We currently live in a nation that's legislative and executive bodies have dismal approval ratings. There are many, who currently believe that our leaders no longer have "consent of the governed". It makes sense that the FBI would try to use any reason it could to get better monitoring of those with the skills and knowledge to someday challenge the current status quo.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Theres an episode of Gangland on this very topic.Maybe someone can find it as i'm not able to.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TransplantedArkansan

Isn't that the video posted at the top?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Cant access it on my phone so i'm not sure.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I mean really who cares, the local police decided long ago to turn barnie fife into a paramilitary unit, so the local gangs have evolved. So what, thats life folks evolution and it dosnt just work for the apes. Police take it up a notch gangs take it up two.

i wouldnt worry too many are still in service, and im willing to bet they will use their new found skills to rob big banks rather than take over who gives a crap town.

i would be more worried about the P.D. than them, Realize it or not at least their human.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This being ATS I'm suprised that no-one has put up the idea that this could be government propaganda. Bring to light the so called problem now, so if the SHTF occurs then the authorities have reason to take out the best equipped people to rebel against them.

It was the first thing that came into my mind and I'm not any type of rebel. Not saying I beleive this is whats happeneing, just suprised it hasn't come up as a responce.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pot8er

The feds have already been advertising returning veterans as "threats" for quite a number of years now.

Going so far as to fund and train local PD's for dealing with "disgruntled" veterans.

The gang-member vet certainly adds to this theme while creating several of its own.

Something else to add, when people hear "gang" the focus on minorities more than anything. Hispanics and blacks.

So fear the black veteran. Or the hispanic veteran.

This is a golden cause. It perpetuates fear of mental instability, guns, military training, and injects a healthy dose of racism.

And the FBI? Well, they're the mentally unstable gun-wielding military trained white people who are fighting the good fight.

Everything a tyrannical corprotocracy wants to feed to a paranoid moron mass.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Don't be so shocked. IN the old day in the UK, this was known as "The Kings Hard Bargain"

Any criminal brought in front of a judge, would be given a choice. Go to Goal of join the Army. In a time when the US military is at it busiest for year. I say its better to have them on the front line than on the streets!

Ex

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
They also become cops!
( second line)

top topics

join