It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any advice on how to be less socially awkward?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Yes. In a courteous and professional way of course, but I definitely think you should speak your opinion, even when it differs from hers.

She can't fail you on a whim, you have appeals processes, the Dean's office, and procedures for handling things if your grade is not fair.

So, I would definitely speak my mind in class, keep the ATS rules in mind. As long as it isn't a personal attack, or something irrelevant and off-topic, and as long as it isn't profanity-laced or hateful in nature, then speak your mind openly and honestly.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by karismac

Knowing when to join in the activity at hand without attracting attention to yourself is rule one in being socially adept.

no it isn't :-)

you might as well tell him to wear plain clothes without buttons. We aren't all the same - I don't see any reason why we should be - do you?

Is the real goal in life to get from point A to point B without bothering anybody else? Is fitting in the best thing we can ever hope to achieve? Conform?

I realize the OP is here looking for advice - because he's worried he's doing something wrong - but I'm betting he will be worried less as he gets older - that's usually what happens. Social situations are so much more stressful when we're young - for everybody. Even the socially adept

you've given him plenty of advice on how to fit in - but all of it involves constantly monitoring every single thing he does and says - just so nobody will be bothered by him. Talk about a plan for creating a self-conscious, neurotic mess

ANOK gave you a good straight and honest response to your question and coped a lot of flack for it too - but your answer seems slightly argumentative and like you didn't really want an answer to your initial question but really want all the focus on you.

sounds like something someone who doesn't like nonconformists would say - someone who thinks nobody should ever draw attention to themselves

not a criticism - just an observation

we're all different - he needs to relax a little more, worry a little less, be honest - and just be who he is

eventually he'll learn learn that he can't please everybody

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Mossme; yes I would talk with your teacher as well.

Back in scool, I actually felt the same like you do. Just before graduation I got the feedback from my Math teacher "It s sad, you never talked to me....)

So, talk to her, best in a quite minute, explain her your ADHD, that you sometime have the dreamlike "stare" or look. But it's not confronted against her, its you thinking about something, and you did not pay attention, that you ve been "staring" at her.

In this way, you show, that you care about her feelings, and that you are not threatening.
It will make your relationship to her better.

Between us; for me, it's still difficult to think of a person who chooses to spend her daily job in front of students has issues with "being stared at". But that's her issue, and i am sure she has her own personal reason for that.

<< 9  10  11   >>

join