It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methods in choosing religion:Intuition vs Logical Deduction

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Are faiths chosen? or are we indoctrinated in the dogmas of our parents? Religion is almost implanted as an invasive species of thought when we're young.

Choosing faith—in any sense—is always contradictory to logic and reason. And intuition, or an educated guess, is still merely a guess, and it will always reside in the realm of faith and superstition.

If choosing a religion, logic would probably show you that you don't need one in the first place.

don't need one in the first place???What if mankind succumb to greed,hatred and delusion???Surely we need some guidance.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by QuantumSeeker

Neither. Ask God who He is and when He tells you follow Him.

Experience trumps either method.

You shouldn't follow a religion because it sounds good but only because you think it is true.
edit on 18-2-2012 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

You shouldn't follow a religion because it sounds good but only because you think it is true.

Ok,how "He tells you to follow Him"?????

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumSeeker

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Are faiths chosen? or are we indoctrinated in the dogmas of our parents? Religion is almost implanted as an invasive species of thought when we're young.

Choosing faith—in any sense—is always contradictory to logic and reason. And intuition, or an educated guess, is still merely a guess, and it will always reside in the realm of faith and superstition.

If choosing a religion, logic would probably show you that you don't need one in the first place.

don't need one in the first place???What if mankind succumb to greed,hatred and delusion???Surely we need some guidance.

Whats the bible guiding you to do?

Selling your daughter into slavery?
Incest?
Murder of the infidel?

Youre absolutely right I think. We should be teaching these morals to children. It would be better for them.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

I thought you were talking about something else, not evolution.

As in where the universe came from.

Where the universe came from is part of evolution.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38
I choose Jesus based upon truth which in many parts is logical deduction.

It is the only belief that actually explains how and why we got here and actually has a concrete never changing moral code that none of the other beliefs come close to.

If you believe that Christianity is the only religion that explains how and why we got here, then obviously you have never researched any other religion other than your own. I was raised as a Christian. At about the age of 17 I started wondering if there really was a God. Then, you could say, I became an Atheist, as I thought God was simply too good to be true. Then, later in life, after experiencing some personal things, I turned back to God again. My friend introduced me to Islam and I quickly fell in love with it. Islam explains how and why we got here and what our purpose is here on Earth. Also, it has moral code, such as giving charity to the less fortunate, living righteously, not sinning, etc. However, after being a Muslim for about 2 years of my life, I started doing some research on Hinduism, and, honestly, have never felt closer to God than I do when reading the Bhagavad Gita ( Hindu Story ). So, I can definitely say that I am a Hindu now, and proud of it. Hinduism explains in clear detail how we got here, what our purpose is, what the ultimate goal of mankind is, how you should focus on mastering your sense of ego and leaving it behind, and why you should live to become one with God ( Brahman ). I am a strong believer in Karma. If you're mad at the world, mean to people, don't respect people, etc, chances are people will act the same towards you. On the other hand, if you are an honest, loving, caring person who respects others, there's a really good chance you'll get the same in return from other people. Sure, maybe not all the time, but most of the time. From what I have learned about Hinduism from reading the Bhagavad Gita, is that it is really all about doing things out of the kindness of your Heart, which, in the end, will bring you closer to God. I'll post you a quote out of the Bhagavad Gita -

" I, Brahman, the Supreme Godhead, in My unmanifested ( invisible ) form, pervade everything and every creature in the Universe. I am the origin of everything that is and is not. All beings in all the worlds exist, in spirit, within Me and depend on Me. But I do not abide in them because that would limit Me. This is the Divine mystery of Me as the unmanifested Godhead. I am never confined, attached, changed, or in any way limited. As birds fly across the sky leaving no trace, I, like the sky, am ever Myself, unaffected by anything of the phenomenal world. "

That's just one of many that I could post. Also, that guy " BigToe " said something along the lines of " Only uneducated people believe in Religion because they have a limited knowledge of Science " I don't think that is true at all. I'll be the first to admit, I don't know all that much about Science, but I know some. I bought two books by Stephen Hawking, and am in the process of reading one right now ( The Universe in a Nutshell ). I have read more than once that, at least in this book, he doesn't rule out the possibility of a Creator. His opinion may have changed since then, but I am sure he knows way more about Science than you, and he still believed that it is possible for a Supreme Being to have willed the Universe into existence. I don't believe in God merely because I don't know all that much about Science - I choose to believe in God. Like most, I have my reasons for believing, such as I don't think us humans got here by some random chance... I have many other reasons, but don't feel the need to really spend all my time responding to such an ignorant comment such as that. I respect all peoples point of view, including yours, it's really too bad that you don't respect mine.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Start searching for Him. Pray that He reveals Himself to you. Change the way you live your life and keep searching with all your heart. You can't fake it with God.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Start searching for Him. Pray that He reveals Himself to you. Change the way you live your life and keep searching with all your heart. You can't fake it with God.

But how do you know the signs are really from the (real) God???Or is it planted by other beings????Or it is some really incredible coincidence???Notice I put Real God,yes I am thinking of gnostic stuffs.

Originally posted by Awful

I choose Jesus based upon truth which in many parts is logical deduction.

It is the only belief that actually explains how and why we got here and actually has a concrete never changing moral code that none of the other beliefs come close to.

If you believe that Christianity is the only religion that explains how and why we got here, then obviously you have never researched any other religion other than your own. I was raised as a Christian. At about the age of 17 I started wondering if there really was a God. Then, you could say, I became an Atheist, as I thought God was simply too good to be true. Then, later in life, after experiencing some personal things, I turned back to God again. My friend introduced me to Islam and I quickly fell in love with it. Islam explains how and why we got here and what our purpose is here on Earth. Also, it has moral code, such as giving charity to the less fortunate, living righteously, not sinning, etc. However, after being a Muslim for about 2 years of my life, I started doing some research on Hinduism, and, honestly, have never felt closer to God than I do when reading the Bhagavad Gita ( Hindu Story ). So, I can definitely say that I am a Hindu now, and proud of it. Hinduism explains in clear detail how we got here, what our purpose is, what the ultimate goal of mankind is, how you should focus on mastering your sense of ego and leaving it behind, and why you should live to become one with God ( Brahman ). I am a strong believer in Karma. If you're mad at the world, mean to people, don't respect people, etc, chances are people will act the same towards you. On the other hand, if you are an honest, loving, caring person who respects others, there's a really good chance you'll get the same in return from other people. Sure, maybe not all the time, but most of the time. From what I have learned about Hinduism from reading the Bhagavad Gita, is that it is really all about doing things out of the kindness of your Heart, which, in the end, will bring you closer to God. I'll post you a quote out of the Bhagavad Gita -

" I, Brahman, the Supreme Godhead, in My unmanifested ( invisible ) form, pervade everything and every creature in the Universe. I am the origin of everything that is and is not. All beings in all the worlds exist, in spirit, within Me and depend on Me. But I do not abide in them because that would limit Me. This is the Divine mystery of Me as the unmanifested Godhead. I am never confined, attached, changed, or in any way limited. As birds fly across the sky leaving no trace, I, like the sky, am ever Myself, unaffected by anything of the phenomenal world. "

That's just one of many that I could post. Also, that guy " BigToe " said something along the lines of " Only uneducated people believe in Religion because they have a limited knowledge of Science " I don't think that is true at all. I'll be the first to admit, I don't know all that much about Science, but I know some. I bought two books by Stephen Hawking, and am in the process of reading one right now ( The Universe in a Nutshell ). I have read more than once that, at least in this book, he doesn't rule out the possibility of a Creator. His opinion may have changed since then, but I am sure he knows way more about Science than you, and he still believed that it is possible for a Supreme Being to have willed the Universe into existence. I don't believe in God merely because I don't know all that much about Science - I choose to believe in God. Like most, I have my reasons for believing, such as I don't think us humans got here by some random chance... I have many other reasons, but don't feel the need to really spend all my time responding to such an ignorant comment such as that. I respect all peoples point of view, including yours, it's really too bad that you don't respect mine.

If you mean God that create our world ,in my opinion Allah is more likely to be real ,
www.al-imam.net...

Islamic miracles are way too impressive especially the last one in my link.

edit on 21-2-2012 by QuantumSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

That's just one of many that I could post. Also, that guy " BigToe " said something along the lines of " Only uneducated people believe in Religion because they have a limited knowledge of Science "
reply to post by Awful

That is a typical statement of those who have no information to bring to the debate.

It is the number one thing of ignorance or bias to attack ones intelligence.

First off I have a good library of both secular belief and creation belief in origins.

And I will state that secular science in the area of origins is so much more a faith based system then my belief in a All Powerful God who did it all as stated in the Bible.

There may be many other false beliefs of god yet they never explain many of the visible evidences we see in the world today.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

That's just one of many that I could post. Also, that guy " BigToe " said something along the lines of " Only uneducated people believe in Religion because they have a limited knowledge of Science "
reply to post by Awful

That is a typical statement of those who have no information to bring to the debate.

It is the number one thing of ignorance or bias to attack ones intelligence.

First off I have a good library of both secular belief and creation belief in origins.

And I will state that secular science in the area of origins is so much more a faith based system then my belief in a All Powerful God who did it all as stated in the Bible.

There may be many other false beliefs of god yet they never explain many of the visible evidences we see in the world today.

What visible evidences are you referring to???

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Sedimentary rock is a product of water, fossils are hard to make they require rapid burial, both of which are evidence of a global flood.

Spring of the deep talked about in Job

Job.38 [16] Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?

were not discovered until the 1970's

The fabric of time and space stated by Einstein was stated in the Bible long before

Pss.104 [2] Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:

When est or eth is used in the Bible it means continually happening which we know from modern science that the universe is expanding.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Sedimentary rock is a product of water, fossils are hard to make they require rapid burial, both of which are evidence of a global flood.

Spring of the deep talked about in Job

Job.38 [16] Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?

were not discovered until the 1970's

The fabric of time and space stated by Einstein was stated in the Bible long before

Pss.104 [2] Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:

When est or eth is used in the Bible it means continually happening which we know from modern science that the universe is expanding.

Hmmmm....there a lot of other evidences in other religions.For example: quranicverse99.tripod.com...

Food for thought.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join