It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Wooden Sarcophagus is Unearthed at Egyptian Necropolis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
An amazingly beautiful wooden sarcophagus has been discovered in Egypt at the Necropolis of Qubbet el-Hawa. Since January, they have also discovered 20 mummies, and uncovered a tomb dating from around 1830bc at the site. It's another important find for understanding Egyptian history.

Source

Encased in soil, this extraordinarily delicate face emerges into the sun for the first time in thousands of years.

The wooden sarcophagus was unearthed by archaeologists at the necropolis of Qubbet el-Hawa in Aswan, Egypt.

Believed to contain the body of a person of some rank, it boasts extraordinarily delicate features, well-preserved by the sands of time.

The piece was found by a team from the University of Jaen, in Spain, who have been carrying out digs at the site since 2008.

Since starting a fresh excavation in January, they have also discovered 20 mummies and uncovered a tomb dating from around 1830BC

Qubbet el-Hawa necropolis was in use from 2250BC and provided a last resting place for some of the country's most important officials.

A string of 40 tombs cut into a rocky cliff face, the burial ground also forms one of the best vantage points of the city of Aswan.

It's amazing how many artifacts that have been uncovered in Egypt over the years. I think we've only begun to scratch the surface to understanding the mysteries of the early Egyptian people. There are probably many more ancient sites still hidden beneath the sands, and new discoveries such as this wooden sacrophagus will keep people's attention focused on the mysteries of Egypt.
edit on 17-2-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Great find.

This is one of the reasons why I joined ATS in the first place.
It's a great place to catch all the latest finds. Thanks for posting the link and pic.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Nice find isyeye, I sometimes think when the elder/ancient bio finds come up the scientist should do dna and other bio oevaluations of the body tissue. Never know there may be some genetic help within some of those ancient bodies.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

isyeye,
This is an awesome post! I absolutley love Egypt and all of its mystery!! The topic of Egyptian Mummies and Kings and Queens, Pyramids has held my insterest since a child! This is an awesome thread and great find! I wonder who this person was thousands of years ago. I would love nothing more than to go over there and find these things for myself

Thank you isyeye for sharing this!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

100% Agreed.

Egypt has and always will fascinate me. For every year there seems to be something new it has to offer.
I cant wait to take a trip there, not this specific site but Egypt itself.

Thanks for the post ! and info.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
there has been many finds recently....i cant believe a significant site like this was only "just" found...

thanx op

top topics

join