It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC man’s ‘NO TAGS’ vanity plate earns him $20,000 in tickets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
A man living in Washington D.C. has special vanity licence plates that say "NO-TAGS".

Well it seems the words trigger some kind of alert on the system, and ends up issuing tickets.

The man has recieved over $20,000 worth.

All he does is keep going to court for dismissals.

He called the local channel 4 iTeam for help.

The DMV of course is spending more time and money on excuses than actually fixing the problem

Washington, D.C. driver Danny White thought he had a really good idea for a joke. But the joke's on him--to the tune of $20,000, reports local affiliate NBC4.

White's prank started 25 years ago when he got a vanity license plate reading, "NO TAGS." He told NBC4 that he was "Just having fun!" and that "D.C. don't get the joke. They don't get it."

After hearing about White's story, NBC4 launched an investigation with the Washington, D.C. DMV. And while the DMV has yet to "fix" the problem, DMV Director Lucinda Babers told the station that she's considering simply revoking White's vanity tags, along with other "confusing" plates, to avoid any future mishaps.

In the meantime, Babers said ticket writers must collect the last six digits of a vehicle's VIN instead of "NO TAGS."

Always an excuse for failure ! (story and news video)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Ha! That's funny. So he is legitimately getting pulled over but when the ticket comes in it has No-Tags written where the tag should be so he is getting fined for it.... Pretty funny I think....gotta love the creativity some come up with to mess with the system.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Notice their idea to fix it is to revoke the plates.

Think about that.

When government bureaucracy is shown to have a flaw its corrective action is not to repair the flaw but to remove the variable that triggers the flaw.

If that doesnt make you piss your pants you arent paying attention.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

S&F

I wonder if anyone has the license plate...."Felon".

I feel sorry for the poor schmo with the initials " D.O.A.".

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Notice their idea to fix it is to revoke the plates.

Think about that.

When government bureaucracy is shown to have a flaw its corrective action is not to repair the flaw but to remove the variable that triggers the flaw.

If that doesnt make you piss your pants you arent paying attention.

My thoughts exactly! I've got to go change clothes now.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This must be an American thing because i dont know what he means by "NO TAGS."

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
what about:

HAS-WEED

DRNK-DRVR

ARMED

NO-LICNC

edit on 17-2-2012 by lonewolf10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Tag's are license plates.

By having a license plate that is the same as what the LEO's enter for persons with no license plates is confusing the system.

Pretty freaking funny.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by peck420

lol thanks , that would be pretty clever if it wasnt getting the guy tickets all the time.

edit on 17-2-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

What you said here is extremely profound. Would you mind if I borrow the quote?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So instead of the idiot going to the court multiple times, why didn't he go to the dmv to have the plates changed?

That is his own fault, and he should of nipped this in the bud properly from the getgo.
edit on 17-2-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Because, none of this is his fault!

The DMV issued him a 100% legal license plate.

The DMV is not correcting the issue in the DMV system.

If anything, this man has an excellent case for restitution, if he could prove monetary loss from sorting this out regularly.

The problem is the DMV, not the citizen.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

So he gets a vanity plate that says No Tags and he didn't expect trouble? That is like people who put super dark tint on their cars who get mad when they get pulled over.

Fact is, you can't repeat license plates, so instead of expecting an entire DMV system to be worked out, which will take months of logistics, he could of saved a lot of civil money by simply changing his tags.

So instead of finding a solution, he continues to go to court, he lets 20,000 in tickets be set up, and he wastes taxpayers money when the solution was simple, ditch the tags. I have no sympathy for him.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

He had the plates long before the DMV changed whatever they changed that made it a problem.

Like some whiny nut moving next door to a rifle range that's been there for 50 years and complaining about the noise.

In this case the guy with the plates is the rifle range and the DMV is the whiny nut.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Personally, I like focusing on real instances of government corruption and ineptitude; which there are plenty of examples, and don't really focus on minor and silly stuff, like this story, but seeing many of the comments on the yahoo story last night and similar ones on here today, I will say something real quick about it.

Actually, it is the guys fault. He thought he was being a comedian, but was only being a facetious fool; it's a condition that unfortunately a great many people in the world suffer from and usually more so on the internet. The fact is he thought he was being funny and being cute and the universe slapped him down for being an idiot.

And the thing I find amazing, is how many people want the DMV to change the system, which will take time, computer techs and probably a good amount of tax payer dollars, instead of doing what they should have done already and that is, revoke his plate and send him a letter saying that, they are sorry but in order to protect him and the taxpaying public from his own stupidity they are revoking his plates.

And the fact is, it's a vanity plate, ie a privilege and the thing about privileges is, as long as they don't cause problems go for it, but if they do begin to cause a problem, then just take the privilege away. You don't have to spend tax payer dollars to change the system, just so this vain moron can keep his VANITY plate.

Frankly, vanity plates should be done away with anyway the whole idea is vain and stupid and really if people keep abusing the vanity plates, the privilege to look like a vain fool on your license plate will probably be taken away anyway.

And really who cares if he had the plates before the problem, the fact is most people other then him probably don't even look at or care about his stupid plates and it's not really going to affect his day if they revoke them and give him some regular plates to replace them, actually I take that back, he at least would no longer have to collect tickets that are not his own in the mailbox.

The whole thing is a non issue and people defending this guy and claiming that the DMV should spend tax payer dollars just so one guy can keep some VANITY plates, is rather vain and silly.

Edit* Oh and since I overlooked the fact that people pay extra money for vanity plates, the DMV should refund his money along with revoking his plates and then the problem will be solved, and far more cheaply then changing the system I wager.

edit on 17-2-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typos

edit on 17-2-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: Addition

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by prisoneronashipoffools

[Please read in monotone robot voice]: "MUST-OBEY-SYSTEM, SYSTEM-DOES-NOT-COMPUTE-SENSE-OF-HUMOUR"
If vanity tags exist and if they can be obtained and if he has obtained a valid tag, then the guy can have whatever he likes on it. Do your US number plates [as we call them here] not have a sign to show that they are official? In Germany for example the tax and MOT [yearly check] are little plastic discs that are fixed on the number plates and can't be faked, so theoretically you could have anything on there and they could still ascertain that the plate is official and valid. Shame on your stupid US system if they don't have that, not the man's fault.

top topics

join