It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do planes seem louder to you lately?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Possibly a combination of the cold winter air and high atmospheric pressure meaning the air will be a lot denser than it is during the summer,dense air will transmit sound waves a lot better with less loss than less dense air will.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imagewerx
Possibly a combination of the cold winter air and high atmospheric pressure meaning the air will be a lot denser than it is during the summer,dense air will transmit sound waves a lot better with less loss than less dense air will.

No no, do not intrude with science!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Hi, I'm in the north east of England and I'm sure planes have been flying lower lately (may be a cause for them also being louder) and also this morning, a lot seem to be flying in circles ???

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

No, but if you are on drugs they probably do. Typical ATS pot-head thread.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by flyingunknown
reply to post by loam

No, but if you are on drugs they probably do. Typical ATS pot-head thread.

While I do not agree with the OP on planes being louder your response is a joke. A product of the very perceived demographic you wish to paint of the OP.

Sadly, you are the reason that most intelligent persons do not engage in topics on ATS. Good job.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soulo
reply to post by loam

Hi, I'm in the north east of England and I'm sure planes have been flying lower lately (may be a cause for them also being louder) and also this morning, a lot seem to be flying in circles ???

Without being too specific (do not want to break T&Cs here), what area -- as in, is there an airport near by? What type of craft (jet engine, props, etc) are you seeing? Circles as in how?

Honest questions...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Also noise abatement procedures or a change in them could be the cause.If an aeroplane is lucky enough to be able to do a rolling take off (this means it taxis out and straight onto the runway without having to slow down at all) it's already got forward momentum so doesn't need to use more power (so more fuel and more noise) to get rolling again (the same as boiling water,it takes a lot of energy to bring it to boiling point from cold but nowhere near as much to keep it simmering just below boiling point).
An increase in air traffic or a runway closed for repairs will mean more aircraft having to wait to use a particular runway,hence too busy for rolling take offs so every aircraft will make more noise as it starts it's take off run.

(P.S. Sorry for the science bit,it's all I've got
)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I heard a strange plane not too long ago. it sounded like... a plane with weird engines, but the sound stayed in one place, like a helicopter.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I can confirm, for me at least, that the OP is correct. Not just planes in my experience, but trains as well. See, there are tracks about 2 miles to the west of my house, on the other side of some hills. Up until about a year and half ago, I could hear the train as it went by...but, it was very muffled and barely audible. Then, out of the blue, a little over a year ago, I started hearing the trains almost as if they were right outside my window, and this continues to this day. It is the same for all seasons, as I've experience it for a year and a half now.

Now, I know for certain that my house hasn't moved, and the tracks haven't moved. I also know for certain that the type of trains running hasn't changed. I can also say for sure that there hasn't been any significant environmental changes (clear cutting, hilltop leveling, etc) between the house and the tracks. So this leaves only 2 possibilities.

1. My hearing has gotten substantially more sensitive the older I get (I highly doubt this)
2. A change in air pressure/air density/something to do with the air causing the sounds to travel less impeded.

I have no idea beyond that speculation why it is happening. I have also noticed the airplanes, they are significantly louder than before, but that is harder to rule out multiple variables. So yes, I've experienced it, but I can only speculate why.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nwdogg1982

There is no way that geographically linked machinery of any kind (including internal combustion and jet engines) can all suddenly start generating a higher SPL (Sound Pressure Level),if they did the very strict rules on noise standards would have them taken out of service immediately.
The denser air theory I mentioned earlier was clutching at straws a bit as it's not something I'd thought about until this subject came up,but it is a sound scientific principle (see what I did there?:lol
that would have this effect.
I don't know the correct word for it,but it's more likely because one person for what ever reason perceives the sounds as getting louder when in fact commercial airliners are getting quieter,that a lot of other people will say "Now you come to mention it......"
I live 3 miles south of London Gatwick airport that is famous for having the worlds busiest single runway,but it is east-west so they never fly directly over me.It's got a lot quieter since the 1970s and the days of Boeing 707s,DC8s BAC 1-11s and a whole load of others with low bypass ratio turbofan engines which were a lot noisier than today's high bypass ratio engines,in fact to me it sounds quieter today than it did even 10 years ago.

Another thought is maybe the lifting of night flying curfews,even London Heathrow from memory is midnight to 6AM?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

You are completely mistaken.

Anyone old enough to remember the last years of the turbojet era will recall that horrible ripping-calico sound, about a hundred times louder than the smooth, artificially quieted turbofan engines used by modern jets.

Piston engines were almost as obtrusive, as was the high-pitched whistle of a turboprop.

Aircraft are more quiet now than they have ever been. That includes the A380, which somebody was saying earlier is especially loud. I don't suppose that person has ever actually heard one. People come on line here and say the first thing that comes into their heads.

It also is the quietest long-haul aircraft flying today, generating 50 per cent less noise on departure than the nearest competitor – as well as three to four times lower noise when landing, all while carrying 40 per cent more passengers. Inside the cabin, travellers have applauded the A380 for its extremely quiet cabin, which on average has half the sound energy of other aircraft. A380 Family Home Page at the Airbus Industrie web site

Since the 1970s, there has been a serious and successful effort to make commercial aircraft quieter. The Rolls-Royce RB211 turbofan, which powered some of the second generation of wide-bodied jets (such as the Lockheed TriStar), was specially designed to be quiet. There have been many advances since then, and aircraft are now so quiet that you can stand under the final approach to a major airport, a few metres from the runway, and have a conversation. I say this from personal experience of just such a situation.

Military aircraft, especially combat aircraft, tend to be a lot louder. Sometimes their sound can be disturbing and frightening. But then, it is meant to be, in non-stealth applications at least.

edit on 23/2/12 by Astyanax because: of a runaway runway.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

The Rolls Royce Spey engines as fitted to BAC 1-11s and others was one I couldn't think of the name of when I wrote my last post,now they were loud

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagewerx

They were incredibly loud. I remember the Hawker Siddley Trident, which had three of them. Eyewateringly loud.

You can listen to their sound on a download from this page. Warning: this is a really loud sound file, so listen with caution.

Have a listen, loam. Are the planes you hear nowadays louder than this?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Made an account just to post on this thread lol, but yeah i noticed planes have been sounding louder, i was woken up by the sound of a VERY loud plane flying over my house, well thats what it sounded like and it sounded like it was very low, scared the crap outta me i thought we were being bombed or something.The strange this is is that this has never ever happened to me before and i dont really live close to an airport or anything, kinda weird huh?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join