It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do planes seem louder to you lately?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Not louder. Planes are definitely seeming quieter to me these days. But I grew up on military bases listening to f-100's, f106's, and f-105's taking off in full afterburner. Also you could hear C-130's being run up from miles away. Sometimes I will see a jet moving and will have to listen very carefully to hear it.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
There are so many factors here to consider.

- Proximity to an airport would be the number one factor.
- Approach/Departure patterns are not set-in-stone and are often tweaked.\
- What time of day, if any, do you notice planes being "louder"? Reason being is many airports typically have a noise abatement program in place and during late or early morning hours planes that are able to will take-off at reduced power.

- Weather can also play a role. There were rare times I could hear, faintly, the rush hour traffic from a highway 5 miles away during crisp cool mornings.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

OMG, yes I do. I have been hearing them for months. I tried to point it out to my husband but he thought I was crazy because we have a Air Force base. However my husband is not from here. I have lived here my whole life and never felt like i live by an airport and we dont even have an airport here lol. I hear them from 7 am to 11 pm. It seems like they always fly right over our area. They even are so low sometimes my house shakes. Glad I am not the only one!!

edit on 17-2-2012 by jaydensbreezy because: missed words

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I made that experience too, maybe since summer 2011. In the night I can hear each plane, I often thought are they flying lower now or what. I checked it with flightradar24.com, you can see each (civilian) plane there with height, type of plane and many more details. Most of them are crossing here at 30.000 ft or more, and I'm sure I didn't hear them so easy the years before. I must say I was really happy to find your thread.
But I never heard any "strange sky sound" here.
edit on 2012/2/17 by Ruebsal because: Forgot the strange sound thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Ruebsal

It's interesting you haven't heard the sky sounds but have the impression planes are louder. Have you been following the sky sound topic? Is that enough to maybe create this impression? Or maybe something really has changed in the composition of air fleets?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hi, it's funny but just a few days ago, I said to my husband that it sounds like they are amplifying the sound to ensure they are noticed! It's helicopters too.

They don't look any lower, I have always watched them go over and noticed so it isn't a case of them meaning more to me. The air pressure could be lower though we have had low pressure before but the thought that they are louder had never occurred to me before.

I did hear the earth sounds but it was early last year.

Strange.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Of course I heard of the sky sounds, I saw several videos of that lately. But I think I can rule this out to having created my impression of planes being louder. I have been using this room since 11 years, sitting next to the window, many many hours because my computer is here
And I definitely could not hear the planes so well before. It made me looking for online flight trackers to see which altitude they are flying.

I often looked in the sky since being a child, if the weather was clear you could see all the planes, but hardly hear them. Today I can hear every plane, at least at night. Of course, flight traffic in general has increased, and yes maybe something changed in the air fleets. I have really no explanation for that.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I have heard the sky sound but to me, in this area anyway, plane traffic hasn't changed and I haven't heard planes being louder. But the weather here (Montreal) is far from being normal right now. We are having mild spring weather when this should be dead cold and snowy winter. Even the broadcasters are starting to freak out over this climate.

Have you noticed any change in plane flying patterns? That could gear you towards a possible answer.

S&F.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

The frequency of nearby flights doesn't seem changed to me....just the intensity of their sound.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by WildWorld

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by WildWorld

And I should also mention that for me the duration of the intensity seems longer.

edit on 17-2-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

The planes have always been around but it was always sort of background noise...now when I hear it I stop and say WTF is that

Wow, same here (In the last couple of years maybe). The sound is just different. As if they appear out of nowhere - first you don't hear anything, then you suddenly hear it loud. Resembles a missile.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I live under several flight paths of planes coming to and going from Oakland International.

Have noticed in the past year that they have more of a rumbly echo sound to them. I can hear them coming from far away especially at night when it it quieter and sometimes, yes they are loud, almost to the point that I really think they are going to crash into me.

Have lived here 17 years and this rumbly echo sound is recent.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Where are all the aviation and weather guys?

Sure would like to see a rational explanation or two...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Different, louder, and last year under a strong high pressure system for most of the year - looooooonger (up to 20 minutes).

We all hear it.

I did encounter a NEW sound phenomenon the other day though.

My voice echoed off of the wall next to me. Spouse heard it as well. I was talking normal volume.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This is kind of crazy, but i live in Belgium, in the neighbor of Ghent, and last night, around 1AM there was a sound of a very loud plane.... But very very load i mean... It was so crazy i even walked outside just to make sure it was the sound of a plane... And yes it was... And i am a lot outside, since a am a amateur astronomer....

It just strikes me, because it really took my attention, even when i was gaming on my xbox live....
And now i see this topic!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I tried to start up a discussion but I am not on the "OMG ME TOO" train and in my experience, these types of threads are not to seek answers or discussion (not saying this one in particular; just generally), and are only seeking confirmation that the OP isn't alone in a perceived phenomenon.
edit on 17-2-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The most obvious extension of the OP's question is: are all mechanical-generated sounds/noise increasing in intensity?

I would say for many yes, and this would be due to increased awareness. There will be the rash of folks who contend there is no change, air is air, sound is sound, etc. but most of those folks are simply not evolving at the same rate as others. It requires a deep level of self reflection to notice things at a deeper level - including sounds.

The sounds were always there, at the same level, but for many their awareness has greatly increased of late, which has allowed them to perceive both more of the sound and it effects as well as the effect on them. Many may observe the alarm sounds - beeping, sirens, horns etc. are an assault on the ears. Many may be noticing the horrifying sounds that hide in the background of most thug-rap music. All the sounds, and the effects were always there.

An increase in awareness is the connection.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

How long have you noticed planes sounding louder?

Maybe it is because of the colder winter air, which is denser; thus it should carry sound-waves more efficiently...

Just a guess though.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm going with no,I haven't noticed.They're as loud as they've always been to me.I've noticed no difference.And I don't live that far away from a major airport either.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
I tried to start up a discussion but I am not on the "OMG ME TOO" train and in my experience, these types of threads are not to seek answers or discussion (not saying this one in particular; just generally), and are only seeking confirmation that the OP isn't alone in a perceived phenomenon.

Perfectly understandable.

In fact, you identify in part what was for me the purpose of this thread. It's helpful knowing it's not just me, even if the actual cause in my case *is* just me.

Personally, I think it has to do with the fact I've heard the 'sky sounds' everyone has been talking about. It's placed my attention to any similar sound into overdrive, I guess.

That seems the most likely explanation at this point.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Perfectly understandable.

In fact, you identify in part what was for me the purpose of this thread. It's helpful knowing it's not just me, even if the actual cause in my case *is* just me.

Personally, I think it has to do with the fact I've heard the 'sky sounds' everyone has been talking about. It's placed my attention to any similar sound into overdrive, I guess.

That seems the most likely explanation at this point.

But as Sherlock Holmes would paraphrase; are you making conclusions based on conceived notions or on facts of the matter?

Are you connecting the two because you have heard the "sky" sounds? Maybe planes have always been at the decibels you are perceiving, but only because you have become aware of the "sky" sounds have been noticing their increased nature?

You see, your experience, while intriguing and interesting, cannot be verified nor confirmed. I am not trying to discount your experiences. You truly could be experiencing a heightened awareness of sound because of the sky sounds you have experienced. --- Personally, after reading what I just wrote I would at least meditate on that very notion to understand fully what might be happening.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join