It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do planes seem louder to you lately?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I couldn't help but post this thread- mostly because I think the answer is........yes!

Well, for me, at least.

Now don't get me wrong. I am completely prepared to assign this new found perception of mine to a heightened awareness surely caused by my previous experience of hearing twice the 'around-the-world-strange-noise' everyone has been talking about lately.

So my brain is just waiting to say, "There it is again!!!" I guess...

But honestly, planes do seem louder to me....and that just blows my mind.

Am I really this impressionable?

So just for kicks, I ask some of you... Have you noticed this for yourself? Do planes seem louder to you?

For those who say yes, did you also experience at anytime one of the (for lack of a better term) 'around-the-world-strange-noise' events?

It will be real interesting to see what some of you say.

edit on 16-2-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Yes. I've noticed this a lot. At first I thought it was something strange but now I just think it's the weather/atmosphere. Is that possible?

No strange noise events here.
edit on 16-2-2012 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

heh.. act I been hearing planes more often in my town here in Denmark for some reason
air is getting thinner.. ?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WildWorld

Originally posted by WildWorld
Yes. I've noticed this a lot. At first I thought it was something strange but now I just think it's the weather/atmosphere. Is that possible?

Yes. It is.

In fact, I researched this. But I'm not sure I fully understand the possibilities... And I haven't felt like this in previous years. So why do I have this perception now? (I've been around a while...
)

Very odd to me.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

For some years now, aircraft companies have been trying to invent quieter and less environmentally damaging aircraft.

I think that perhaps you are just noticing planes more now because a plane in the sky means more to you than it did previously.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Well, I've always noticed the planes before... What I think has changed is my perception of the intensity of their sound...and frankly I'm feeling the vibrations of their rumble much more than I have ever before.

That seems like an odd thing to suddenly notice after all my years. (I grew up around planes.)

ETA: I completely accept the possibility this is JUST me. But it's interesting to point out. I usually have excellent command of my perceptions.

I learn something new about myself almost every day.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Planes got bigger, thus heavier, and they carry more people. They need more powerful engines to fly and that can get really noisy sometimes.

edit on 16-2-2012 by paulorf86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by paulorf86

Not a bad explanation. Maybe this year there are more of something new in the fleets.

I grew up around planes, but I don't know crap about them.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by loam

For some years now, aircraft companies have been trying to invent quieter and less environmentally damaging aircraft.

I think that perhaps you are just noticing planes more now because a plane in the sky means more to you than it did previously.

Absolutely perfect! Really nice answer

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
No strange noise occurrences, but I have noticed that the train behind my house is louder, because the tracks are further away; and that the planes are louder. Even though they aren't flying inches above my house, it sure does feel like it sometimes. Maybe they just got corvette engines or something.
edit on 17-2-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Hi loam,

just to contribute: yes, one more in the affirmative.

I have been attributing it to heightened awareness due to 'the strange sky sounds', but there was one today that just made me gape. It was right there, I could see it, same type of plane on the usual route, but seriously loud as hell.

X.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by chr0naut

Well, I've always noticed the planes before... What I think has changed is my perception of the intensity of their sound...and frankly I'm feeling the vibrations of their rumble much more than I have ever before.
That seems like an odd thing to suddenly notice after all my years. (I grew up around planes.)
ETA: I completely accept the possibility this is JUST me. But it's interesting to point out. I usually have excellent command of my perceptions.
I learn something new about myself almost every day.

I definitely have noticed a rumble in the house from the planes that was not there before.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Wow, what a fascinating thread. Thanks for posting

I too have noticed that planes seem to be getting louder, and only fairly recently. I thought I was just imagining it, but now having read this thread, maybe not....

I live in the approach path for an international airport and yes, some planes are louder than others and some weather makes them louder while some makes them quieter. But only very recently I have noticed that the low freqency sound is so strong that it is actually able to rattle windows and furniture inside the house. There are also low rumbling sounds in the hills around my city that was never there before when they approach too.

I don't know if this is a coincidence or a change in my perception, but I live in Adelaide Australia and we had a minor quake here about 10 months ago now. After that for about 6 months we actually did have rumblings in the hills for quite some time after the quake. This was quite scary as it would happen at random day and night and the sound was such a strong and low frequency that you could physically feel it. Sound has carried very differently ever since that quake - Things seem to echo and sound carries further now, but it is a phenomena that comes and goes.

I would love to know more about it.....

edit on 17-2-2012 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

And I should also mention that for me the duration of the intensity seems longer.

edit on 17-2-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by paulorf86
reply to post by loam

Planes got bigger, thus heavier, and they carry more people. They need more powerful engines to fly and that can get really noisy sometimes.

edit on 16-2-2012 by paulorf86 because: (no reason given)

Agreed, the Airbus A380 is a ginormous beast for instance and yes it is very, very loud. I have been a travel agent and while I am no expert in planes, I do know that in the city I live in anyways, it is the same make and model of planes flying in now that has been for at least the last 2 years. So in my case anyway that variable can be ruled out.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

And I should also mention that for me the duration of the intensity seems longer.

I haven't noticed if it was longer or not. I'm not sure how long it was to begin with since I barely noticed the noise before. The planes have always been around but it was always sort of background noise...now when I hear it I stop and say WTF is that lol
I'm in the north east USA. Are you somewhere similar with temperature right now?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I usually cant hear the planes that fly overhead since they are so far way. So no, but I supposed if someone worked as air traffic control they might be able to verify this.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

I don't think there are many of those flying around me either. But who knows?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Can I ask you a weather related question then...

I know that here in South Australia, it has been anything but a normal summer. We have had several cold polar blasts and every time it starts to get hot, we get a rain front come through. This weather is so unusual that we recevied the usual average rainfall for February in the first couple of days for instance.

So what I have been noticing is that we get a real calm patch of weather - no wind, just perfectly still and fairly clear skies. It almost feels like everything has come to a standstill in the cosmos, if that is a valid way to put it. During these times sound carries very differently ,which is probably when the planes are sounding louder.

Knowing a few basics of meteorology I know that sound carries better under low (?) air pressure than high(?) Correct me of I have these the wrong way around, but I know the principle is true. So is it possible that this is something to do with either solar flares or the disturbance in the jetstream that I have read about here in ATS and elsewhere causing as yet unidentified localised pockets of air pressure? i.e is this a sign of whatever it is that regulates our weather starting to break down?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Yes, I totally. Once the plane is gone, then noise sure does seem to linger out a bit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join