It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MI5 files: Was Chaplin really a Frenchman and called Thornstein?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Intelligence officers could find no trace of the actor's birth in Britain despite Chaplin always claiming he was born in London in 1889.
The mystery surrounding his origins emerged when the US authorities asked MI5 to look into the comic actor's background after he left America in 1952 under a cloud of suspicion over his communist links.

One possible answer to the mystery emerged last year when Chaplin’s family found a letter in a locked drawer suggesting he had been born on a gipsy camp in Smethwick, near Birmingham.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 16-2-2012 by Droidinvoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
There may or may not be some truth in this, but in view of the fact that no documentary proof has been obtained that Chaplin was born in the United Kingdom, it may well be that he was in fact born in France."
It is curious that they can find no record of Chaplin's birth, so the plot thickens , much like the Douglas Bader files at Kew under lock and key for 100 years a D notice in effect.

Smethwick is about 10 miles from my location , if he was born there ............that's a shocker

edit on 16-2-2012 by Droidinvoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I just cannot believe the things he was conveying they are still applicable today which is kinda depressing. As for his birth I would not know but considering the period it is such a confusing time so much so it is difficult to ascertain any truth without some falsehoods.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Star and Flag.

I love Charlie Chaplin stories. And this one was a very interesting read. Thank you!!

Not sure if it matters if he was born in France or not in the long run. But it can be the foundation of so many weird he said she said stories about the man.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
What, you mean Hollywood let Charlie Chaplin act in movies without showing his birth certificate? Let me guess... he was really born in Kenya?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Droidinvoid

It is curious that they can find no record of Chaplin's birth, so the plot thickens , much like the Douglas Bader files at Kew under lock and key for 100 years a D notice in effect.

Not necessarily. Given that he was a Music Hall performer, it is possible he was "born in a trunk." In any event, "Charlie Chaplin" is a stage name; we may never know what his real name was.

new topics

top topics

join