It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Erratically moving speck of light in Orion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
As a disclaimer, I believe in UFOs and life elsewhere but I don't think "UFO!" every time I see something in the sky and the only other time I ever felt as though I had seen one was almost forty years ago when I was younger. I've been a member here for awhile but don't post often and I don't even remember posting here in the UFO section before.

Anyway, I was just outside smoking a cigarette while looking at the sky when I saw a spot of light moving through the sky and thought "Wow, that plane is really up there". I watched it briefly then looked elsewhere and when I looked back where it had been, the light had changed course. I kept watching it and it turned back, then started going through short zigzag motions. It would go in one direction then another, back and forth, doing small "loops", all within one area in what I believe was Orion, going by three stars that looked like the belt to our southwest. I've seen my share of planes at night but I've never seen anything moving in the night sky like that.

I went inside to try and get a movie with my camera but wasn't able to focus on it. I went back and was going to try my wife's super zoom but some clouds had moved in. Just went out again before I posted this and the clouds are still there. I was going to try and pull out my old cheapie telescope and see if I could focus on it.

Weird.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Graybeard

That's cool. My boyfriend & I saw one with characteristics similar to the one you described. It'd be cool if you do manage to get it on camera though.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I've been outside a couple of times since and I thought I could see it when there was a break in the clouds but it was brief and I can't be sure. Clear sky most of the night and now some clouds roll in.

I don't know that I would be able to get it on video as it's literally just a dot of light although I could probably take some still shots in burst mode with my tripod if the clouds break and it's still around.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Graybeard because: Sp.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I seen a green light with a tail doing a figure eight motion for about 10 seconds in the night sky and litterally watch it vanish in thin air, this happened 3 months ago..

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It could be someone trying to move a satellite into a higher position after it's orbit decayed a little. It could be some country trying to position a new satellite in orbit also. Possibly could be something extraterrestrial but I don't think aliens would be moving like that unless someone's trying to teach their kid to fly. Or they're drinking.
edit on 16-2-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

What color was it? Did it change colors sort of like in a pulsating manner?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
In the fall of 2006, I was looking at a star for most of the night, up around Orion. We were at an outdoor birthday party. I was showing my husband the star as we were walking home - it was the brightest one in the sky.

Well, all of a sudden it grew bigger for just a fast moment, and completely disappeared. At the same time we both said WTF and looked at each other.

I looked and looked on the internet, trying to find any space event that could have caused it, and I couldn't find anything, anywhere. Not even anything that would give that type of effect.

It looked like when something in a sci-fi show, goes into hyperdrive and vanishes away.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Rickymouse, I don't know. At that altitude, almost instantaneous moves that look like a half inch to an inch or two from ground perspective are probably equivalent to miles and miles that far away. Dunno.

Kyred, there was no blinking, just a steady light and it wasn't terribly bright. Just a dot of light and if I were going to take a stab at color I would say very pale orange or red.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Meh just another alien playing around with one of their uber pointing devices in space, nothing new really. Seriously, I've seen this same kind of thing a few times, but I'm always looking up, especially on clear beautiful nights. While I don't like the boring town I reside in, one nice thing is that you can actually see the sky fairly well on nice nights. I'll go ahead and admit that while I feel that I do know for a fact that their is life out there and when I see things like this, I have no idea what it might be, I just don't know about them coming around these parts of the galaxy very often. I would guess that it was some kind of terrestrial ufo. I do however love to think that those things are alien dwi cases lol. Its just that if it was something that far out and you could see it at all, it would have to be awful freakin big, probably not something living beings would be controlling, not if it isn't within our atmosphere or fairly close to us.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I wish more ATSers paid attention to the sky. I sit out front when i smoke and have nothing to look at except apartments so I look up at the sky. Lately at night ALOT of stars appear to be moving, I use tops of 4 trees as markers and granted a wind can move branches, however the wind is not constant. I HAVE seen stars move around-not far from its original spot, but noticeable enough. During the day the last few months the contrails have been sporatic. Some days none. Days like today, about a dozen at any given time. And yesterday I saw one that was curved. I tried to ignore it, because skytrails made me loco a few months ago, but Dad stepped out and kept talking about it so I called the municipal airport and asked why a plane had turned around and was told no planes had done such a thing and when I said I see the curved trail he became aggravated, called it a cloud, then said good day sir, click. Been nauseaus ever since. The trails really bother me for whatever reason. The point is I BELIEVE YOU.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DoNotForgetMe

You speak of this happening and contrails present. If they are experimenting with deflecting energy or using water crystal structures to temporarily absorb excess energy could they be distorting what we see. I would like to know about when this contrail stuff started.

Ok if there are air currents in our atmosphere or even electrical currents is it possible that they could distort the positions of the stars so they appear to be moving. It's like the light going through a prism, it winds up changing direction. I'm sure volcanic activity or other natural things can make this occur also.

It has appeared that the sun has been rising and setting farther north around here but I think it may be an illusion also. If something either natural or manmade is causing an increased refraction than this explains it. I know that the sun has already set when you view the end of the sunset. Sometimes the sun hasn't risen yet when you see it. That is because of the round in the atmosphere. Adding a metalic refractive ice crystal to the mix can explain everything and the contrails or volcanic activity don't even have to be where you are.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I love what many call the moving starz
let us know how thing go and if you see its color. I have made threads in the past related to similar visuals. You may be a receptive

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Graybeard
I may have seen the same thing. where are you located? Around 11:00pm last night(Atlantic time) i went out for my last smoke of the night. What I saw I thought was a satellite. There is an airport not far from me, and it was WAY above the planes coming and going. It crossed the sky like a satellite normally would, but then stop dead in its tracks, for about two or three minutes, enough for me to finish my smoke. After those couple of minutes, it began to move again, but in the opposite direction, but became much less bright as it did. What I saw did not pulsate, but did change colour very slowly, from white to a orange type colour, but honestly, it was so small I cant really say what it was. At one point it looked like it may have split to two lights, but again, by this time I was focusing so hard, that may have been my eyes playing tricks. really not sure on this one, could have been anything I guess.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Graybeard
As a disclaimer, I believe in UFOs and life elsewhere but I don't think "UFO!" every time I see something in the sky and the only other time I ever felt as though I had seen one was almost forty years ago when I was younger. I've been a member here for awhile but don't post often and I don't even remember posting here in the UFO section before.

Anyway, I was just outside smoking a cigarette while looking at the sky when I saw a spot of light moving through the sky and thought "Wow, that plane is really up there". I watched it briefly then looked elsewhere and when I looked back where it had been, the light had changed course. I kept watching it and it turned back, then started going through short zigzag motions. It would go in one direction then another, back and forth, doing small "loops", all within one area in what I believe was Orion, going by three stars that looked like the belt to our southwest. I've seen my share of planes at night but I've never seen anything moving in the night sky like that.

I went inside to try and get a movie with my camera but wasn't able to focus on it. I went back and was going to try my wife's super zoom but some clouds had moved in. Just went out again before I posted this and the clouds are still there. I was going to try and pull out my old cheapie telescope and see if I could focus on it.

Weird.

You may want to visit this thread Is it a star, planet, aircraft lights, satellite or.........a UFO? Find out here!

More specifically use these resources to figure out what was up there...

Satellites/ISS
Heaven's Above
NASA - Human Space Flight
Orbitron - Satellite Tracking System

Stars, planets
Stellarium
American Meteor Soceity Thanks to member youallcrazy

top topics

join