It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop posting clueless MSM garbage about Anonymous

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Someone just posted a thread with the headline that "Anonymous," are threatening to shut down the Internet. The short answer to this is, no, they aren't.

I can only assume that this sort of crap shows up as headlines here, because some of you are clueless as to what Anonymous are about. One of the primary things that they are about, is the freedom of the Internet.

Unfortunately, some people in Anonymous are themselves sufficiently clueless, that they think that DDoS attacks against specific, individual sites, are a form of protest which corporations care about. I've tried in the past to argue on this site, that that is not the case; mainly because said attacks are always temporary, so the only thing that any government or corporation has to do, is wait. In the meantime, they can also focus on harvesting the IP addresses and therefore arresting the Anons who are behind the attacks, as well; so Anonymous end up being hurt far more than the government itself does, by them.

They are not, however, going to try and shut down the entire Internet, even if they could. (Which they can't)

These sorts of headlines are false flag statements. There are governmental demoniacs such as Rudolph Giuliani, who are slavering over the prospect of literally any excuse or rationale they can get, for creating fascist legislation to bind up the Internet. In furtherance of that goal, the one thing they want where Anonymous are concerned, is for everyone who doesn't know better, to think of Anon as a terrorist organisation. If they can convince enough people to think of Anon as the online answer to Al Qaeda, then they can use that as an excuse to at least get the legal basis for the "Internet kill switch," and the various other evil things that they dream of doing.

Anonymous are not terrorists. Most of them admittedly are anarchic, somewhat sociopathic 15-25 year old boys, but their motivation generally stems from the fact that they've been raised on a steady diet of American Libertarian propaganda (about the founding fathers, etc) and have made the catastrophic mistake of literally believing what they were taught, rather than recognising it as doublethink. Some of them have also combined Thomas Jefferson with Bakunin and Kropotkin, for even more messy ideological results.

I am not necessarily Anon's biggest supporter, irrespective of how this post might look. Generally speaking, I agree with their aims, but I usually don't agree with their methods of obtaining them. This is a scenario which is almost exactly like Batman or Spiderman; you've got an organisation that are deeply misunderstood, and because they genuinely *are* mentally ill, tend to do things that have admirable objectives, but use sociopathic methods. So people end up disliking them and confusing them with terrorists as a result. It's the whole Chaotic Good bordering on Chaotic Neutral thing.

Just keep in mind; the main thing they care about is keeping the Internet going in an unobstructed manner, so that they can be as obscene, vindictive, and socially unacceptable on 4chan (or the other chans) as they want to be, without the government or anyone else doing anything about it. The fact that 4chan itself exists, is not something that the rest of us should consider a blessing, no; but the fact that Anonymous are willing to fight to maintain its' existence, is something that can be a blessing to those of us who want to maintain Internet freedom, for less aberrant reasons.
edit on 16-2-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think Anon has been hijacked. It's very easy to pretend to be an Anon so how simple could an Anon false flag be?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I will if you will!!! Anonymous is anonymous. Which means they could
be anyone. Or groups of 'ANYONE".

Maybe it's time YOU wake up. ANONYMOUS CAN BE ANYONE ..maybe they are
who they say they are OR.the CIA, the FBI, DHS, Pakistani or Iranian or Israeli Intel.
Anonymous can be ANYONE. And everyone. All at the same time. No one knows.
Do you know? I doubt it. Your heart might be in the right place but I doubt you are
technologically capable of keeping track.

Could we all just forget for a moment that we "know" what the intent of Anonymous
is? There's just too many people and agenda's involved to pretend like anyone
know's WTF is going on.

Dear Anonymous, if you are a male between 18 and 25...boy do I have a job for you.

edit on 16-2-2012 by orbitbaby because: cuz I felt like it

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
We have a lot of teenagers here now-a-days. We never really knows who's posting what.

PS I gave up defending positions like you did here because I realized by the tone and "oh yeah?"-type of attitudes...that I was agruing with youth...not experience. Hard to tell anymore. This site has really changed.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Again, there is no one "internet"...

There are various forms of internets out there that can be accessed through various DNS servers.

If the government were to take down the IEEE's internet... it would be replaced within a month.

And the governments would not be able to control the replacements.

As such, the internet is a necessary evil. Something they at least have superficial control over.

The last thing they want is for the internet to go 100% rogue.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Was that suppose to add something to this discussion? Your accusing the poster's
here of being "teenagers' for what? Because you don't agree?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Teenagers are the ones that know about anonymous... I don't get your point

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

See? You proved my point. Thats what I added. As good as yours.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Im glad you as well dont get it. Thats my point. Proven again.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Teenagers are the ones that know about anonymous... I don't get your point

i absolutley disagree with your statement man, i apologise but i do...

i will however explain.... Teenagers think they know what Anon want because they think they are down with the reasons for fighting the man and they know a friend thats a "hacker"

Anon was founded from the 4chan boards, mid 20's It guys and gamers who knew systems better than the genral public and could exploit terrible (but well known) holes in programs making them seem like IT gods,

as there Ego inflated so did there ranks.. with younger and younger "hackers" these are easily convinced to do things to "fight the man" because at 15/16/17 its easy to miss the bigger picture, to not understand how a five year jail sentence will destroy your life and how Digital attacks are seen in th public (msm) as a terrible thing.. to thm its a fame thing.. to be Anon is a way to have praise from lots of people but know one knows its you... to be a real life Anti-hero

like it really grinds at me when the MSM talk about the abilities of Anon.. there are a few guys out there, certainley guys who were there 8 years ago on the 4chan boards who are good at "hacking" but i 90% of the guys (and gals) involved in any attacks are just in way over there head.. teenagers have no idea about Anon, just like they have know idea about IT security and the have no idea of what its really like having a job and paying tax and providing for mouths to feed etc. etc.

they just think they do, they just think they know better because they are teenagers...

Alas... i have gotten old before my time... became the angry internet guy...

i will say as a disclaimer to the above, i see some things Anon do and i think they are right...

however i feel if you really had faith in your IT skills, and you really wanted to attack the corrupt government, the officials getting back handers, the secret societies and the military complex you would...

in IT there is always a way to exploit if your good enough, as you grow up you see the corruptions where they lie, you dont attack front line troops, you dont attack Sony technology users, you dont steal silly data or hack second rate systems...

if Anon want backing off the general public, they need to do somthing worth while, as i have said before... where are the under the table deals, the black opps bills, the UFO files, where are the NWO plans where are the secret bunkers, where are the paper trails leading to cover ups... these things all exsist (if we are to believe in NWO, UFO,Black ops conspiracies) and if they exsist they can be proven...

And that is why teenagers know nothing about Anon, and the teenagers who are Anon no nothing about the real world, because if they were... they could be seen as saviours of modern times....

Stock exchange runs with technology...
banking systems...
oil purchases...
military hardware..
military development...
Politicians wages...
Government secrets.

there is where to attack

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
We have a lot of teenagers here now-a-days. We never really knows who's posting what.

PS I gave up defending positions like you did here because I realized by the tone and "oh yeah?"-type of attitudes...that I was agruing with youth...not experience. Hard to tell anymore. This site has really changed.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

I'm not always going to defend them.

I'm also not somebody who self-identifies as Anonymous. I have a mask, and I've used it in public. I'm also one of a very small demographic of the human population, who is a hard left anarchist on a truly instinctive basis; not because I hope it will make me look cool.

Anonymous at times can be useful; but as someone else has said in this thread, their major weakness is that they are primarily populated by juveniles, who not only have trouble seeing the bigger picture, but who are also too trusting, and don't tend to ask questions about who's really organising things, or who's paying the bills. You might be an oldfag yourself, but if you are, you're not among the majority.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

"Oldfag"? Laugh! I find that incredibly....juvenile. Hence, my position. Certainly no offense and I understand your points.

And the OWNER of this site? Just how old do you think him and his majority of moderators ARE anyway?

I dont think you should classify them as the minority as you infer, sir.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
And the OWNER of this site? Just how old do you think him and his majority of moderators ARE anyway?

I have no idea. Some painful practical experience has taught me, that speculation about any element of either the identity or general existence, of the administrative staff of literally any forum, is likely to be hazardous to my social wellbeing, as a user of said forum.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

HA! Touche my friend! Touche! I must say...from time to time Ive enjoyed your responses here and there. Quite well written.

Take care friend. I look forward to your future postings!

Peace

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Personally, I used to think they were some kind of heroes. Now I don't.
I think the media have put them on some kind of pedestal to be feared, over-estimating their abilities.
I don't think their capable of taking down the internet.
Anyone can take down a website with a couple of DDOS programs, it's just that most people don't know how, and don't see the point.
All these different 'Operations' they claim will be carried out... It's mostly bull#
There are X amount of these people who are claiming to be part of Anon. But most of them are just part of it to be part of a name. Undisciplined, uneducated in the way of extreme hacking, some don't even know about proxy browsers etc. These are the majority, the ones who set up false operations for fun. These are the ones who get caught.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
There are X amount of these people who are claiming to be part of Anon. But most of them are just part of it to be part of a name. Undisciplined, uneducated in the way of extreme hacking, some don't even know about proxy browsers etc. These are the majority, the ones who set up false operations for fun. These are the ones who get caught.

In other words, said majority perform an extremely valuable purpose. They are decoys.

The police and legal system waste its' time chasing after (and catching) relatively harmless script kiddies, while those Anons who truly have the ability to cause problems, are able to continue in safety.

I suspect that would put a broad grin on the proverbial mask's face.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dadank
I think Anon has been hijacked. It's very easy to pretend to be an Anon so how simple could an Anon false flag be?

Whether hijacked or not, we do not need a faceless--very true description--group attempting to impose its morality (to use a broad term) onto the internet. That is no better than what is feared coming from TPTB.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by dadank

Whether hijacked or not, we do not need a faceless--very true description--group attempting to impose its morality (to use a broad term) onto the internet. That is no better than what is feared coming from TPTB.

As far as the specific value system that the archetypical Anon (although some will, of course, debate the existence of such a thing) holds is concerned, it is infinitely more desirable than what Guiliani and his ilk want to impose on us.

The core, archetypical /b/tards are almost completely anarchic; to the point of being genuinely entropic, which is a level that even most of us who truly do want freedom, are not willing to go to, because entropy is concerned with the reduction of life down to its' most base, discordant elements. Life itself is a form of order, so chaos can only be taken to a certain extent, if life is to survive.

Because of this, although their goal is the opposite, Anonymous have a tragic tendency to in fact support the geriatric fascists' cause; because the majority of the public fear chaos, and so when Anon behave in a chaotic manner, this provides superficially plausible justification for the passage of oppressive laws.

Anonymous' DDoSing of web sites is not engaged in because it is a truly effective form of protest. It is not, in the slightest. DDoSing is engaged in because the people who participate in such, are usually both angry and juvenile, and want to smash things. They want to feel as though they can have an immediately destructive impact on the individuals or corporations who are responsible for these repressive laws. As it has been discussed, there are numerous forms of computer-based strategies that could be vastly more effective than DDoSing, (and to be fair, Anon have occasionally taken part in these as well) but these are nowhere near as popular among Anonymous members, as they do not have a superficially satisfying form of immediate gratification, for the people engaging in said attacks.

top topics

join