It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eerie Picture of North Brother Island New York

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Hi Ya'll

(Just want to say here before you start reading my thread, I have shocking spelling, it was never my strong suit and still is not!. So please don't nit pick i get enough crap as it is from friends and family!. Thank you.)

This is my second thread i have made and i did use the search function and could not find this posted, so here it goes.

I came across this article on facebook actully and i got really stuck into it.

4yous.info...

Mary Mallon (above, right) was the most infamous patient at North Brother Island where she spent nearly three decades of her life.

I had never heard of North Brother Island before and the going on's there. It was a place which people with infectious and fatel diseases through out the 19th - 20th century. there is a interesting snip it of the famous Typhoid Mary who lived and worked on the Island.

People who have been here said it is ver ysimilar of that of the Black Hole of Calcutta, and by the sounds of it was not a very nice place to end up back in those times that is for sure

(Ok ive tried really hard to figure out how to copy the text from the article using the quote and Ex-Text button but can only seem to copy one sentance will keep it just incase it does work
..)

Anywhoo i made this thread about the Amazing Picture's that accompany the article. The Island has been left to rott, but it makes for amazing pictures, and how the people of this place just up and left. It blows my mind how nature can so quickly ruin which once was a really nice (well not so much the nature of the place with all the diseasesand such) island, with hospital, school, living quarters for the Doctors and Nurses and now some of the place are almost unreconizable

Picture of Typhoid Mary
[edit pictures were a fail i am so sorry! please follow link

Picture of spiral stair well in Hospital also Main staircase of the Nurse's Building

Please Visit link for the full article and pictures
4yous.info...

I hope this thread has turned out as well as i wanted it to, if now follow the link for quite and interesting story about American History also very interesting pictures.

I hope that someone here could help with posting some of the photo's from the link as i don't know if mine will work!. which they havn't so i would be very greatfull if an experienced ATS member could help me with linking the picture to my thread!

i am popping off now i am about to finish work and i am having my Birthday celebrations tonight so i won't be back still and interesting read none theless thank you again for you time

Thank you for your time and enjoy!

edit on 16-2-2012 by karmajayne because: failed links

edit on 16-2-2012 by karmajayne because: added message at end

edit on Fri Feb 17 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: added picture of Mary

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
S&F!

Thanks allot for posting.
Amazing pictures in there.

EDIT: Happy birthday! I missed that line. And I will Embed the pics if there not up when I get my coffee.

edit on 16-2-2012 by FejkNick because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FejkNick

Thank you! i myself was in awe it's just amazing how quick nature takes over and soon this will all be but a memory!

I am so sorry for the shocking thread layout i am compleetly hopeless at this! thank you for taking the time to read

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by karmajayne

Well done, thank you. I wonder who owns the land that it is on. Probably the state. Seems like a waste to just let the place rot.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I wont put every picture on here, just a "snippet" of the smörgåsbord.

Now tell me that our civilization will be standing for 1000 of years.

edit on 16-2-2012 by FejkNick because: Fixed the links.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Excellent pictures and story!

thankyou for sharing.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
There are thousand of sights like this across america. I live near Detroit and we have our fair share of old buildings slowly being consumed by the ravages of time. Its a shame no one has decided to purchase the island and redevelop it.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Hey, thanks for this! I had never heard of North Brother island. I had heard of Typhoid Mary, but that's it. Crazy to think that there's a whole island that's abandoned in New York, of all places! I've always liked looking at buildings that people just up and walked away from. I find it amazing how fast everything just goes back to nature. In another hundred years, by the looks of things, those buildings wont be much more than a few piles of brick.

S&F!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I recently watched CROPSY on Netflix about a rash of abductions that occurred on Staten Island in the 70's/80's that centers around an abandoned hospital (asylum) in a forest there. A Must See if you like creepy building images

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Anyone besides me find these 2 lines from the story peculiar?

Closed in 1963, it is now a haunting labyrinth of crumbling ruins.Protectedbirds are its only inhabitants and the waters around the island are patrolled by armed coastguards who ensure the sanctity of the former quarantine zone is never violated

Since the island is abandoned, why does the coast guard have ARMED men patrolling the island's perimeter? Why can't "the sanctity" of said island NEVER to be violated?

and

Despite being in the middle of New York, North Brother Island has remained sealed off from the world

SEALED from the world.

Wonder what in the hell they are hiding there....

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
S&F, thank you for posting this. Hauntingly beautiful. Reminds me of the movie Shutter Island. Thanks again.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
what an awesome location for Photography!!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

dont knock youself that is well put together imho
star and flag
i wish i knew how to word my efforts

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by greenovni

I caught that as well. I was also wondering what might be hidden there, due to the fact this is NEW YORK. You can't tell me some rich developer doesn't think that would be prime land to build some resort or something.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I am constantly amazed at all the empty buildings there are throughout america, and the huge amount of homeless people there are, why is it the two never get to-gether?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by greenovni

I'll tell you what.

Vampires.

Lots and lots of vampires.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I wonder how many patients are buried there. A lot of over growth even from google maps.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Great post! Awesome pictures and the article was interesting. I wonder why no one has decided to clean up the island though. Id think it'd be a cool place to visit anyway. Maybe have a museum or something.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
what an awesome location for Photography!!

I was thinking the same lol, there's something about decrepit buildings that just appeal to me. A sort of melancholy and abandon.

For some reason the outdoor pictures reminded me of the movie Shutter Island :p

Edit* That would make an awesome Taps episode, I wonder if there is any paranormal phenomenon occuring there...I wouldn't mind camping out there for a night, that would be intense!
edit on 17-2-2012 by jesiaha because: hasty post....fml

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I believe there was a thread on this about a month ago! Cool picks tho don't mind seeing them again! Also it is government owned was set as a bird sanctuary till the birds recently just left? The other thread had some goo info to! S&F

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join