It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Prison Labour 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

UK Prison Labour 2012

www.prisonlabour.org.uk

The battle by the prison service to keep contracts secret
The prison service has lost a three year battle to keep secret details on the contracts between private companies and prisons to employ inmates.
The Information Commissioner has ruled that the National Offender Management Service (NOMS) was wrong to withhold the information despite requests from companies that releasing it would put them at risk and affect their ability to take advantage of low wages.
The commissioner also found no evidence to back up any of the arguments made by the prison service to justify keeping information about contracts with a publicly funded body secret .
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 16-2-2012 by Droidinvoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
After seeing a fresh BBC news piece on private firms using UK prisoners 16 / 2 / 12 this has to be read to be believed . Graduate's are being put to work in Poundland and supermarket's stacking shelves , while the private sector is making a profit £££ from employing convicted people serving time . The BBC news item stated they were paid £ 30 pounds a week for a 40 hour week. Minimum wage does not apply to prisoners.
I used the ATS search regarding convict labour , found no UK info so please read it. We are going back to dickensian times , this is disturbing to say the least.

www.prisonlabour.org.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16-2-2012 by Droidinvoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
That happens in the US as well. Practicing their slave trade before they make it a massive citizen program probably! Paying them real wages will stop the practice though. The companies being under disclosure will pay citizens real wages before paying prisoners. Just my 2 cents.
edit on 16/2/12 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Occurs in australia as well. in fact the majority of the prison system was privatised a while back and it's ramifications have been less than beneficial. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Make up your mind people. Most people want prisoners to work whilst in prison. The fact is, that most prisoners want to work and are not allowed to as they 'undercut' firms that work outside of prisons and firms complain that they are not-competitive against them.

I know of a prison that used to have a farm that supplied nearly all of the milk to every jail in England - It got closed down due to be un-competitive. I know of a prison market garden that produces fresh salads but is not allowed to supply them to inmates. Do you see how ludicrous it all is?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
hmm...The british gulag camps are revealing their true nature.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I am all for convicted prisoners being put to work, but put them to work in the community, clearing up run down areas and doing work that our local councils say they don't have the money to do. At least that way they are doing something for society.
Using prisoners for the benefit of private "for profit" companies is not the way to go and in no way serves the community, who after all are the ones paying for their incarceration through taxation. We have seen how this has worked out in the US, with a privatised prison service using inmates for labour, hired out to private corporations, That beast needs feeding in order to make a profit, and so more and more people need to be fed into the prison system to keep the profits flowing. I am sure that is the reason the US has the highets prison population in the world. It's not about rehabilitation, but cheap labour and profits!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
hmm...The british gulag camps are revealing their true nature.

Come on, bring it on!!

If you have some ''facts'', I'll have the debate with you ................ Beware, I work in a UK Criminal Justice setting, so I DO KNOW what I am talking about, unlike you and your anti-British crap which you spout out at every opportunity. I really do not understand why you have not been banned from ATS.
edit on 16/2/12 by Wotan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I can't see the problem with this... Surely being kept occupied is better for the prisoners mental health and would mean that they'll be less likely to do drugs. Both of these factors would increase their chances of finding work when they leave prison and consequently they'd be less likely to re-offend. Also this is nothing new... Didn't prisoners used to sew mail bags?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac
I can't see the problem with this... Surely being kept occupied is better for the prisoners mental health and would mean that they'll be less likely to do drugs. Both of these factors would increase their chances of finding work when they leave prison and consequently they'd be less likely to re-offend. Also this is nothing new... Didn't prisoners used to sew mail bags?

You are correct. 97% of inmates who serve a reasonable amount of time, will have mental health problems of some sort. The drugs is a different issue altogether which I wont go into. I dont know if they still sew mail bags, but they certainly make park benches, dog/cat mats for the RSPCA. They also do the prison gardens and do cleaning jobs.

In UK prisons, work is a priveledge not a right. If they offend whilst inside, they can have their work priveledge taken away from them.

top topics

join