It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MaxGXL and the miracle of glutathione - Pyramid Scam or Legit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
One of my friends recently convinced me to watch a slideshow Webinar he prepared. It was about a vitamin supplement called MaxGXL. For some reason, the makers of MaxGXL have chosen the Multi-tiered-Marketing model aka Pyramid Scheme to market their product.

The main focus of the product is increasing bioavailability of an naturally occurring in your body tri-peptide called glutathione. Apparently this substance in our body functions mostly in the liver, to detoxify the body system. It has also been shown that as humans age, the levels of glutathione in our bodies decrease.

From Wikipedia:

Glutathione (GSH) is a tripeptide that contains an unusual peptide linkage between the amine group of cysteine (which is attached by normal peptide linkage to a glycine) and the carboxyl group of the glutamate side-chain. It is an antioxidant, preventing damage to important cellular components caused by reactive oxygen species such as free radicals and peroxides

^ Pompella, A; Visvikis, A; Paolicchi, A; De Tata, V; Casini, AF (2003). "The changing faces of glutathione, a cellular protagonist". Biochemical Pharmacology 66 (8): 1499–503. doi:10.1016/S0006-2952(03)00504-5. PMID 14555227.

The aim of the product is to increase the levels of glutathione in your body in an effort to function as you would have in your 20s.

Although the vitamin sounds really good I just can't get over the way they market it. Interestingly enough, they list some apparent reasons for choosing this path which seem logical,
....but I just can't shake the whole Pyramid Scheme aspect of it all.

They have a Double Blind Placebo Test that was apparently conducted under all the standard US testing codes and procedures....but honestly, is it normal to only do one test with 27 people only? I thought these sort of tests should be done over a lot larger sample size than just 9 men and 18 women.

This isn't the only company that uses this type of structure, there are also big ones like Amway and Avon which seem to still be running... I mean, if it really was just a Pyramid Scheme, it should have collapsed by now right?

I was wondering if any other ATSers have tried or researched this product.

I have been going through lots of medical reports, trying to verify the legitimacy of these doctors and stuff - it seems a bit "too good to be true" or maybe something along the lines like Big Pharma doesn't want the competing business so any sort of good media attention would be suppressed.

There was a time when I would often put anything into my body but I am quite careful nowadays....I mean, what if this "vitamin" is actually some sort of highly addictive substance....or what if it contained some sort of nanotechnology that would target certain brain functions to completely absorb you into the Pyramid Scheme?

After reading a lot about it, it just seems like a fancy way to sell known herbal remedies (their "Proprietary secret ingredient" is made up of Cordyceps and 80% Silymarin Extract).....is anyone here using Milk Thistle Extract or Cordyceps as a health supplement?
edit on 16-2-2012 by Nick_X because: corrected herbal ingredients

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

It is likely something that will neither harm nor help you, but will drain your wallet. I would be leary of any product promoted in this fashion. Just my 2 cents from my pretty long life experience. Take it or leave it.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Allight, fair enough will take your vote into account =) cheers!

1 - Fancy Way to sell traditional herbal medicine
0 - Pyramid Scam
0 - Legitimate modern miracle vitamin

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I have been going through lots of medical reports, trying to verify the legitimacy of these doctors and stuff - it seems a bit "too good to be true" or maybe something along the lines like Big Pharma doesn't want the competing business so any sort of good media attention would be suppressed.

Supposedly Suzanne Somers and Magic Johnson seem to think the IV version works!

What do Magic Johnson and Suzanne Somers have in common?

Intravenous glutathione, that's what!

They both get glutathione injections weekly for $900 an injection! That is $3,600 a month for IV glutathione!

Yes, Suzanne Somers receives IV glutathione once a week! In fact, she wrote about it in her book: Breakthrough: Eight Steps to Wellness
Magic Johnson also gets injectable glutathione.

Read more: www.amazing-glutathione.com...

From what I see though, in this article and others, diet affects your body's natural production of this stuff, and it's best to increase it through diet.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any supplements from a company like this, or others that spend more on packaging and marketing than they do on their base materials.

Buying in bulk is always the best in regards to vitamins/supplements.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the Info - I think what this product aims to do is bring it to the masses as most cannot afford $900/shot lol

Just looking at it some more....the supplement contains Cordyceps.....which if you recall - is that parasitic fungus that infects it's host insect, then mind controls them and grows out of their body!

...Ideas run wild of the possibility of nano-engineering this fungus into something which can affect the minds of humans...then setting up a Multi-tiered-Marketing company with all the mind-controlled subjects for maximum profit hahaha

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Well it's not a vitamin as far as I know. MLM isn't a Pyramid Scheme, as long as you can sell your product, you're fine. If not, you're done for. MLM or not, if you can't sell your product, you're done for. MLM works by reducing advertising costs and promotes early adopters that want to sell the product. Getting people to work at selling "Microsoft" in its early years would be difficult, nowadays not so much. Those early adopters get rewarded for helping the product/company take off.

It sounds like this supplement supplies the precursor to glutathione, boosting stores in the liver of glutathione. Glutathione already comes in supplements, although they may need to be enteric coated so the active ingredient doesn't break down in the stomach. If that's the case, this MaxWhatever might be unnecessary.

Highly addictive substance? Nanotechnology? Really?

edit on 16-2-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

Aww man don't kill all the fun - I was hoping some uber tinfoil hatter would come on and give us the lowdown on how every supplement made is a scam and how they live on a farm in Wyoming growing all their own food and never taking any medicine or vitamins ever.

I'm picking up my free sample next month and will make a followup post later on I reckon

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

MLM isn't a Pyramid Scheme, as long as you can sell your product, you're fine. If not, you're done for. MLM or not, if you can't sell your product, you're done for. MLM works by reducing advertising costs and promotes early adopters that want to sell the product.

MLM's main source of profit is through licensing fees, paid by the sad people who fall victim to the scheme. There is nothing worth buying through MLM that cannot be purchased in other places.

And in fact, the prices don't vary much at all. You are not receiving any cost cut from the reduced marketing costs. Look at Avon. The same products can be found in stores at competitive prices. Not to mention, you can purchase their stuff online as well.

Especially now that it is so easy to set up internet sales, there is no reason for anyone to be part of, or buy from any MLM schemes.

top topics

join