It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should it be legal to kill pet cats roaming around the neighbourhood?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
You people are a bunch of idiots. Tell me how in the hell you are supposed to keep a cat confined? Cats arent dogs, they dont take commands.

You put them in a cage or bring them in your house at night, it’s pretty simple.
Native species shouldn’t suffer because of a cat owner’s incompetence.

That's ridiculous. I have a cat and it would be cruel to keep him in. He has a cat flap and comes and goes as he pleases. He is a part of the family and if someone killed him, I would hunt them down and teach them a lesson. Cats do not cause enough harm to justify killing them. They kill mainly mice and birds of which there are plenty and in fact without cats, mouse and rat populations would probably be higher.

Just because you don't like cats, doesn't give you the right to kill them.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Once again
you all agree that dogs should be able to roam free and that it doesnt matter if they kill a few pet cats right?

If a dog were wandering around loose they wouldn't live long enough to kill a cat as they invariably run out in front of cars. Dogs are dumb that way.

But if it happened then what can the cat owner say? They took the risk of letting the cat out and the result was it was killed by a dog. That's nature. You always take a risk letting a cat out that it will get killed in an accident or by a larger predator. Where I live there are owls and hawks large enough to take down a cat, coyotes, and of course dogs as you have mentioned. A neighbour purposely killing the cats is not nature though. Would you be ok with a neighbour killing your dogs if they happen to get loose?

Cats also keep rabbits from digging up peoples' vegetable gardens, keep skunks away, as well as the mice and rats that have been previously mentioned.

edit on 17-2-2012 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
There is a reason that they don't want dogs wandering around loose. Dogs will pack up ,it's natural for them. Then they will start attacking people.
Near where I live there is a large and historic cemetery. There are two large packs of dogs running around there and they come into surrounding neighborhoods. They tear up garbage and have attacked people, although the local news doesn't report on it. I know people at the city shelter and the SPCA and they say it's a real problem.

It's rare when a house cat will attack a person.Even then a cat is so small they would be easy to fight off.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Keeping a cat confined indoors all the time is animal abuse. It goes against a cats nature and can lead to depression in cats.My cat spends most of her time indoors but spends part of the day outside. Cats need to be outdoors regularly. If I ever tried to keep her indoors she would squirm beneath my legs any time the door was open.. I would be trapped indoors. Cats don't hurt anyone when they are out doors, in fact they will run, where as a dog is likely to attack, get into garbage ect.

I disagree especially if the house has plenty of space to roam around. I have four indoor cats and they havent expressed interest in going out and they seem very happy. Theres also foxes lurking around the neighborhood so letting them out isnt a good idea

Plus giving the responses in this thread i dont want to let them lose and have some sick # gets a hold of them
edit on 17-2-2012 by paganini because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The problem in my neighborhood is stray dogs. They are a much bigger threat than cats, we've had two pet deaths on my street in the last year because of stray dogs. I've seen packs of dogs roaming my neighborhood, now that in my opinion is much more dangerous than a cat, for native species and people alike.

I guess I'm one of these monsters that lets their cat out...but he hates it in the house and I've never seen him go past my neighbor's house if he even leaves the yard. In my area there really aren't any native species that would be threatened by a cat except for mice or maybe the occasional rabbit. In fact just the other day I found a dead mouse that my cat left as a warning to all the other rodents in the backyard so I say bravo! He's finally earning his keep!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Keeping a cat confined indoors all the time is animal abuse. It goes against a cats nature and can lead to depression in cats.My cat spends most of her time indoors but spends part of the day outside. Cats need to be outdoors regularly. If I ever tried to keep her indoors she would squirm beneath my legs any time the door was open.. I would be trapped indoors. Cats don't hurt anyone when they are out doors, in fact they will run, where as a dog is likely to attack, get into garbage ect.

Yeah dogs are always likely to attack - they certainly haven't been domesticated yet. You ever seen a weiner dog out in public? Likely to tear your face off if it gets close enough to the ground!!

And a cat would never get in to the neighbors' trash, course not..

Can you give me directions to this fantasy world you live in? Might make a good spring break road trip

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I wouldn't care what logic someone used to justify hurting my cats. I would find them and quite simply just hurt them, a lot.

Anyone remember what happened last time that cats were wiped out by the public ? You got it.......The Plague........... it killed millions of people.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Isn’t it the same logic?

Its not like I want this to be the case tho, I would much rather cat owners take responsibility and lock up their cats so to not damage their environment and threaten the extinction of native animals.

There is no reason for cats to be wandering the streets, the argument that ‘they are wild and use to wander around before humans’ is bunk because so did dogs but we can’t let them out can we?

Logic you say? Nothing you say is logical. Cats do not damage the environment or threaten the extinction of native animals.

Show me just One instance where this is proven true. You cannot because your hate for cats apparently caused to make it all up.

I love my Cat and keep her inside for her safety but on occasion I bug bomb the condo and Kitty goes outside with me and the wife for 5 hours at a time. If you killed my cat during one of those times I would 1st kick your ass then 2 have you arrested. Killing animals is against the law for a reason.

There are feral cats all over this world, most of them are not anyone's pets. Most of the time they cause little or no problems in our society. They like to live around docks and keep rats down for the boaters. They clean up the scraps of fish the fishermen leave behind. They don't have problems with cats attacking and harming people like dogs do from rabies. Why then don't you want to kill the dogs? See how silly you are?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Who the frick's giving the cat murderer stars!?!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

That's You and Your cat.

You cannot make such statements apply to all cats and cat owners. My cat hates the outside and as I said above must go out a few times a year for the bug bomb. The cat claws at the door the whole time trying to get back in. I can leave the door open on regular days and the cat will not go near it. The outside scars her. Kitty likes being in her home where she knows she is loved and is safe.

We keep a clean obstacle free house where the cat has plenty of room to run around and play. Domesticated cats do have instincts but they are not as driven by instinct as are wild cats. To say it goes against a cats nature to keep them inside and is abuse is ignorant on your cat education. Cats learn most of their behavior from an early age. If you have a big safe yard and from a kitten taught the cat that it's o.k. to go out and play then that is what the cat will want to do and expect from you.

In the city, that may not be wise ( unless you have a fence the cat can't climb in a big back yard). The city can be a dangerous place and in this case I'd say letting the cat go outside is irresponsible and borders on abuse. Cat owners who love their cats do everything to keep them safe. I had an ex-wife once who was from the country. She let our kitten go out and play against my wishes. We lived closer to a busy street than me and my current wife does now. The first time she let the kitten out to play it was hit by a car. So now she's my ex-wife and I hope she learned her lesson for the rest of her life. You cannot apply some things people can do safely in the country to the big city.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Should it be legal to kill cat murderers roaming around the neighbourhood

Here is my reasoning, especially in a nation like the UK.
It is ok for the parents of cat murders to let their kids go out and kill native people so why is it wrong to kill a cat murderer to prevent them killing native cats?

Isn’t it the same logic?

Its not like I want this to be the case tho, I would much rather cat murderers parents take responsibility and lock up their kids so to not damage their environment and threaten the extinction of native cats.

There is no reason for cat murderers to be wandering the streets, the argument that ‘they are animals and use to wander around before humans’ is bunk because so did dogs but we can’t let them out can we?

But if cat murderers parents will not take responsibility why can I not use the same logic they do and stop their cat murdering children from killing other cats.
edit on 17-2-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

I think you need a hunting license to kill anything but if it is the same in Australia I do not know.
Cats kill mice and rats but only if their owners let them outside to do so. Is that the sort of native creature you want to see flourishing in the area? If so by all means get rid of their only natural predator.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
People like you shouldn't be allowed to roam around the neighborhood. What is wrong with you.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skizoid
Yes, it should be legal to kill cats !
Where I live it's illegal but I kills all cats in my garden.
Cats does not belong in our nature (Denmark)
It's not cool, but that's how I'm !
Have a nice weekend !

Then you should be very careful not to move to Australia.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I assume you practice catch and release with every rodent or other creature that decides to come into your home and live there, or destroy your property?

I'm cat person, but I keep mine indoors, they live longer that way, anytime we take them outside they are in a harness and are not allowed to roam, but that's more about not wanting them wandering aimlessly and being worried than anything.

So no, I think it's pure insanity to think it should be legal to just up and kill someones pet because YOU might consider it a problem. Domesticated cats are NOT bringing ANYTHING to the brink of extinction.

I have no idea how it works in Australia, but we have animal control here in Canada, and if a stray or someones pet it causing problems, you call them, THEY deal with it.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

No worries at all!!!

AM with you.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I HAVE THREE, INDOOR KEPT CATS!
No one is going to hunt,kill and eat my cats as long
as I'm alive
I am a very protective mama!

To answer your question,the answer is no!
edit on 17-2-2012 by mamabeth because: added

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a question for the people making the claim " cats control mice / rat populations " how many do TAME regularly fed pets actually kill ???

a cat in your house might make rodents avoid your house - but thats it

farm cats are different - try picking one up - the farm i used to do work for had over 30 - and only preagnant ones got fed - the rest had to hunt or starve

the cat in your house just moves the problem into your foundations and down the street

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Human thinking, kill what bothers KILL!!!
Silly talking monkeys, given thumbs he makes a club and beats a brother down. How we survive so misguided is a mystery.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join