It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A meme I found that described the Greek situation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Alda1981

All in all a great meme. This sure helps to rebut the myth of the lazy greek.

But if the idea here was to end the BS, then why would the author mix in another myth amongst the facts?

Germany owes to Greece 575 billion euros...

These accusations were already rejected and this damages the credibility of the rest of the meme a little IMO.

Good post anyways.

edit on 17-2-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

Germany still owes this money to Greece. It's a fact.
The reason we dont claim them is 1. Germany doesnt have this cash to give and it would collapse their economy and also all EU economy.

2. Cause politicians arranged between them not to claim this money without asking the people.

GERMANY OWES greece since ww2.They paid the other countries except Greece. That's a fact.

Debt of Germany to Greece

edit on 17-2-2012 by Alda1981 because: added link

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

First of all, Germany already paid Greece the equivalent of ~4.4 billion euros in formal war reparations and compensations, as agreed to by Greece in the 50´s. The 1950´s!
No word since then... but now all of a sudden this agreement is obsolete?

Second, Nazi-Germany never stole the greek gold treasure of 18.86 tons in 1941.
In fact, the greek gold was transported from Crete to Alexandria in Egypt, later transferred to Pretoria, and finally to London, where it was held with the Bank of England for the Greeks. After the war, the gold was returned to Athens.

Also, no other country was ever fully compensatet for Nazi occupation because it was purely mathematical impossible. Even if they stripped every last bit from Germany after WWII (which they pretty much did, although Germany was ruined anyways) the money would not have been enough to pay for all the atrocities committed under Nazi rule.

Last but not least... all said crimes were committed by a generation that doesn't exist anymore.
So please, send your bill to Reichstag Berlin, 3rd Reich, 1941.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Why do you still send money to Israel? Let me guess, because Nazis were not a race. They were Germans just like the ones today. Maybe most of them do not share the same ideas etc. But they're still Germans

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColCurious

First of all, Germany already paid Greece the equivalent of ~4.4 billion euros in formal war reparations and compensations, as agreed to by Greece in the 50´s. The 1950´s!
No word since then... but now all of a sudden this agreement is obsolete?

Second, Nazi-Germany never stole the greek gold treasure of 18.86 tons in 1941.
In fact, the greek gold was transported from Crete to Alexandria in Egypt, later transferred to Pretoria, and finally to London, where it was held with the Bank of England for the Greeks. After the war, the gold was returned to Athens.

Also, no other country was ever fully compensatet for Nazi occupation because it was purely mathematical impossible. Even if they stripped every last bit from Germany after WWII (which they pretty much did, although Germany was ruined anyways) the money would not have been enough to pay for all the atrocities committed under Nazi rule.

Last but not least... all said crimes were committed by a generation that doesn't exist anymore.
So please, send your bill to Reichstag Berlin, 3rd Reich, 1941.

and you send the bill to the years and years of pillaging of EU politicians making money on the back of Greeks for selling their weapons and tanks and submarines and planes to keep a war with Turks.

Remember when greece used to VETO Turks into EU and France and Germany were hiding behind us saying "If Greeks dont want we can't do anything about it.." When Greece said ok for Turks to enter EU suddenly Germans and French don't want Turks to enter... WHY?

Because who will lend money to greece so greeks can buy their defected equipment and weapons?

Make no mistake about it... we are in fault as much are Germans and 3rd reich...

It;s not OUR doing...

If Germans want to treat us like this we treat them the same.

And do your research more. In Spiegel it was recently said that should Greeks CLAIM those money Germans are done.
Its still on...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Hopefully Greeks also remember that governments = not the people. It's sad to read about hostility and attacks against tourists just because they happen to be from a AAA country...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shred
Hopefully Greeks also remember that governments = not the people. It's sad to read about hostility and attacks against tourists just because they happen to be from a AAA country...

You don't really believe that now do you??

Stop being so paranoid. Nobody's hurting any tourist. That's just plain stupid propaganda

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Don't worry pal, you are next on the list. The US is owned by the same people who own Greece. Your country too will burn, give it time... maybe then you'll understand... or you'll blame the poor, or the left or the right or the aliens...

Time to wake the hell up... the government is owned by the banks and they want to bankrupt you, they are working to bankrupt you.

Doesn't matter if you don't get crazy loans and crazy mortgages. Your job is gonna be sent to slave countries, like China... don't need a job? Well alright then, the city you live in will raise taxes until you can't pay them... if that's not the taxes that will kill ya, it's gonna be the inflation.

Greece is just more down the road as the US is... don't you worry, your time is coming.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Stop being so paranoid. Nobody's hurting any tourist. That's just plain stupid propaganda

I do believe it, yes. There's no reason to lie about such things. You're the one being paranoid.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

I do believe it, yes. There's no reason to lie about such things. You're the one being paranoid.

ummm... i am greek mate... never saw any greek being hostile.... on top of that i am a lifeguard, this summer i worked in Paros island. All the people were finnish or french or german or brittish... not once there was any HINT of hostility... violence? thats just funny...

Greece is still one of the safest countries in the world...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

If the greek and the german people could agree that we are not enemies but share the same enemy, we would be on the right way.

Oh and don't put too much trust in everything der Spiegel writes. Just saying.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
To clarify the ANGER of Greeks towards German MEDIA and POLITICIANS...

Here is an example:

And to explain to those who don't speak Greek or German she says

"To understand greeks we have to travel back in a long time. They are the ones who paved the way for western civilization. They created anal intercourse."

"Their famous philosopher Diogenes living inside a barel"
"The greeks saved europe in a military way as well. They saved us from Iran"
"For 2000 years they didn't do anything else" (she mentions one greek guy who had said something aginst RTL)
"Greece lied to enter in Euro and their people suckd all the money they could"
"Greeks need to move on and do better if they cant we will send them this man" (shows Otto Rehagel the coach of national greek team that won Euro 2004)
"If things dont go good they can become one with the Turks and move on from there"

This kind of stuff is the GERMAN approach?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Funnily enough I tried googling your assertion that Germany already paid reparations to Greece in the 50ies. All I got page upon page stating that Germany still owes Greece reparations. Here's one of them: What-Germany-Owes-Greece

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WalterRatlos

It's indeed not easy to find reliable information about this on the web.

I found german newspaper articles (like this one) about the the german-greek reparation agreement and the reparations conference 1945/46 in Paris, and of course Mr Peschke's statement for the German Foreign Ministry, but I couldn't find the original text of the agreement.
Maybe it's not in public domain or just not on the web.

However, I did find the official 98th Cabinet meeting transcript of march 2nd 1960, about the German-Greek negotiations on restitution in the Bundesarchives, which confirms Peschke's statement (unfortunately only in german).

The Cabinet decided to meet the Greek demands on the basis of an amount of DM 100 million (up to DM 115 million) in three annual installments.
The agreement was signed on march 18th 1960 by the German Federal Rebuplic and the Kingdom of Greece.
(My translation)

I'm sorry it's only in german. All I can do is offer to help translate or comprehend if you have any questions.
edit on 17-2-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It's nice to see that the propaganda machines on both sides are in full swing.

I do have to say, though, the corps propaganda machine does much better graphics.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel

Originally posted by Blaine91555
It was on a news report a couple of days ago that one in four people in Greece work for the government and their benefits and insane retirement packages is what destroyed them. Too much candy for the kids.

I have to wonder how illiterate they are if they are rioting for money that does not exist? Certainly they have an education system there?

LOL talk about illiterate. I see that you don't read anything by yourself, you have things read to you ...by a FOX anchor.

Unbelievable, the nerves on some of these ignorant folk. Go read into a subject before patronizing an entire country? The retardedness is just insane with this one...

Ha, and the anchors rarely know what they are reading (which become s evident when they hit new, strange words that are difficult fr them to pronounce.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Τhe agreement of 1961 as ratified by the Greek government (ΝΔ 4178/1961) concerned only reparations towards individual victims of the Nazi regime. It did not cover the damages to the Greek economy, infrastructure etc and it did not cover the interest free war loan imposed on Greece and it did not cover looted archaeological treasure. In 1964 and 1965, the then government under G. Papandreou (grandfather of the present Greek politician with the same name) sent representatives to Bonn to discuss those demands that stemmed from the war. The then German chancellor Ludwig Erhard stated that such demands could only be met after the German question, meaning the reunification, was solved.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
The economy isn't the Greeks' problem. Debt is not money, it is the lack of money. Is there enough currency in circulation for each citizen to pay off their fair share of the debt? No! Is it legal to print off and make their own currency in their own house? NO, counterfeiting is illegal. So, legally, there is nothing the Greeks can do! Time to be illegal, it's the only logical course of action.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

[size=38]★ & F , btw

thanks for sharing

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WalterRatlos

Yes, this is true, and when the German reunification was finally achieved in 1990, all victorious powers of WWII agreed to the "Two Plus Four Agreement", which replaced an official peace treaty and officially ended the postwar period. This agreement settled the remaining demands of reparations. Greece accepted this agreement too.
At that time and after decades of peaceful partnership it was seen as politically impossible anyways to explain further demands of reparations.
edit on 18-2-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join