Canada's Other Justin: The Puerile One

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Canada's two Justins. One a youthful shining star on the international stage and the other carrying a political torch forward in his native land, a torch he inherited from his mother, who sometimes bridled at the strictures and formalism of the political life she shared with her husband, Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau.

The former Prime Minister is gone many years and there is no heir in sight for the mantle of grace that he once wore lightly and stylishly into Canadian political battles, particularly the battle for one Canada and for citizens with hearts big enough to embrace a big country.

Margaret's son Justin recently allowed his mind to plod into this difficult area of national concern when he quoted himself, saying,

www.thestar.com...

“And I always say that if I ever believed Canada was really the Canada of Stephen Harper and we were going against abortion and going against gay marriage, and we were going backward in 10,000 different ways, maybe I’d think of wanting to make Quebec a country.”

There's a fighter for you. Pouty boy makes a threat.

I wonder if similar considerations, on the personal scale went through the mind of Margaret Trudeau the night she "partied with the Stones". She certainly pulled the rug out from under her husband that night. So there!

Following the Liberal's decimation in the last general election, Justin Trudeau said that it was time to reorganize the "bagmen". It wasn't a poverty of ideas that sunk them, it was just poverty, according to Justin.

The Liberals lost because not enough influence was being peddled, I assume he meant. Undoubtedly he was right, but that's not the kind of talk we want from an apple that should have landed somewhere close to the family tree.

How about some fresh political ideas Justin and that doesn't mean blather that you absorbed as a teenager around the dinner table as your father tried to explain to your mother . . . ,uh, forget it.

The article in the Star tells us that:

Bloc Québécois MPs welcomed “with open arms” what they described as Trudeau’s realization that Quebec’s values are not shared by the federal government or the rest of the country.

This section should have been titled, Endangered Political Movement Pounces on Useful Idiot.

Justin must be a fabulous drama teacher. He has wonderful timing. Just as the final curtain is about to fall, he struts onto the stage with a comedy vignette from Act I.

He's a peach is Justin. Peaches don't fall far from the tree either, in this case his mother's tree.
edit on 16-2-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Don't discount Justin. He's smart. He knows damn well what he said. PET wasn't loved in the West. Well, with the exception of BC. Regionalism is now a fact of life in Canadian politics. He's setting himself up for a leadership run I think. He's got the pedigree and he's already shown that he'll balk at the party line. The Libs need someone and he's about the only light that they have right now.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I disagree. Justin is a political disaster. He is just the kind of politician that the Liberals do not need. He is perceived as a kind of "faint hope" by people who are still under the influence of his father's glitter and substance. Justin has neither. He's a poster boy for the entitlement generation and has the pedigree, if you want to put it that way, bequeathed to him by his mother.

Canada's enemies are embracing him. He's a useful idiot.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

So you have a problem with his father then. I get that. Many Canadians did/do. You have to look at the big picture though. Is he in the papers daily? Check. Is he in damn near every Maclean's issue? Check. He's up and coming and WILL be the Libs leader. Might even save his party. They DO need some saving. Hell, his own party can't stop him and they've tried.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
New ideas or old politics, it doesn't matter as much as you think. Elected leaders tend to be the most charismatic of the choices. I personnaly pay attention to the message and the acts of polititions but many do not. The past two liberal party leaders had little if no charisma or salesmanship. Like it or not it gets the lazy votes. Of all the available choices for the liberals Justin has the best chance, not only to be party leader, but to help win back many of the seats lost. That is not to say that he is nessiceraly the best person for the job, but would you prefer Bob Rae?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

So you have a problem with his father then. I get that.

I didn't agree with everything his father did but I don't have a "problem" with him. In some ways he was the best Prime Minister we ever had, certainly in terms of raising the national profile abroad and in being a cheerleader for the country at home. What have I said in this thread that would lead you to believe that I have a problem with Pierre Trudeau?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by halffinger4
...but would you prefer Bob Rae?

Impossible. You need votes in Ontario to win and Rae burned his bridges there as the leader of the provincial NDP.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

You do realize that politics in Canada, like anywhere else, is a total farce, right? It does not matter which arse we elect, we still get the same b llsh t. I read a book quite a while ago called "Who Killed the Canadian Military," expecting to find some revelations, but what I found instead was a list of every prime minister we have ever had and what they did to screw it up. They were all the same. They still are the same.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by halffinger4
New ideas or old politics, it doesn't matter as much as you think. Elected leaders tend to be the most charismatic of the choices. I personnaly pay attention to the message and the acts of polititions but many do not. The past two liberal party leaders had little if no charisma or salesmanship. Like it or not it gets the lazy votes. Of all the available choices for the liberals Justin has the best chance, not only to be party leader, but to help win back many of the seats lost. That is not to say that he is nessiceraly the best person for the job, but would you prefer Bob Rae?

You make a valid point. "Snake oil and baby kissing" wins elections.

The media love Justin but to me he is operating on a very low mental level as a politician. It is after all, the country that is at stake. After winning the election one has to run the country. I would take Bob Rae for that job any day over Justin Trudeau.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

You do realize that politics in Canada, like anywhere else, is a total farce, right? It does not matter which arse we elect, we still get the same b llsh t.

That is true to a large extent, but it is hard to imagine how it could be otherwise without putting a lot of people in jail.

I think Justin Trudeau is simply not qualified to be more than a George W. Bush-like puppet in office.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
I think Justin Trudeau is simply not qualified to be more than a George W. Bush-like puppet in office.

You mean like Harper?
Well he's got the job... for now. He better keep an eye on Justin though. He IS a maverick. And Canadians love that. PET flipping the bird at the media. Chretien grabbing a protester by the throat. That equals reelection in Canada. Right or wrong, I'm not saying but Justin will lead the Libs and will probably be PM within 8 years.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Right or wrong, I'm not saying but Justin will lead the Libs and will probably be PM within 8 years.

I don't think so myself. I think politics will be very different in eight years. By that time it will be very much an "adults only" occupation. Justin will have moved back to teaching.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I have to disagree. His father's party told him to sit down, shut up and do what we say. Justin flipped them the bird and said, "I'm doing it my own way." Then he did successfully. That's a dangerous politician.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I have to disagree. His father's party told him to sit down, shut up and do what we say. Justin flipped them the bird and said, "I'm doing it my own way." Then he did successfully. That's a dangerous politician.

If that's what happened, then he must be successful from now on. That conception, "doing it my own way" is an adolescent's view of how to operate in politics. His father was very collegial. A Prime Minister has to be. Not that one can't have internal enemies.

Bottom line. I continue to be underwhelmed by Justin Trudeau.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Bottom line. I continue to be underwhelmed by Justin Trudeau.

I'm not. He has his fathers balls. I hope he has half of PET's sense.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Congratulations to Justin Trudeau on his boxing victory over Conservative Senator Patrick Brazeau. I just watched the fight and since I am a fan of MMA, boxing, wrestling and the traditional martial arts and street fighting and have watched a lot of it over the years and am the veteran of an incident (as an adult) on the Toronto subway system, where somebody got a little surprise they weren't expecting, I have to say that I was looking forward to this fight and hoping to see Trudeau flat on the canvas at the end of it.

I have to give him his props. Between boxing lessons from his father and rough housing from his brothers, I have to say, the kid is alright.

Obviously this was amateur hour, but it was a fight, and they were taking it seriously. Brazeau launched a good onslaught on Trudeau from the opening bell, but Trudeau managed to hold his ground against a guy who didn't have a serious punch and didn't have a boxing strategy.

Part way through the first round, one could visibly see Trudeau get serious and start to use what daddy taught him. The only real weapon in the fight, Trudeau's jab, started to make itself felt.

By the end of round three, both fighters were tired and not very effective, but Trudeau dominated Brazeau and basically got a well earned victory.

My opinion of Trudeau has improved. He's no pushover and better yet, when pushed, he gets serious and gives the pusher some serious trouble. He showed me something.

Commentary is in French, but the action speaks for itself.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

That fight raised $230,000 for cancer research

I just saw Conservative Senator Patrick Brazeau getting his haircut on the news, while wearing a Liberal jersey. I think he has to wear the jersey for a couple of weeks

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Trudeau and Brazeau have both handled the whole thing with class. The fund raising success is a victory for both men. Brazeau asked for a rematch but Trudeau, wisely I think, said that his boxing days are over.

Sheila "Nobody's Baby" Copps and John Crosbie, now that's a fight I would really have loved to see.

edit on 3-4-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

reply to post by snowspirit

Trudeau and Brazeau have both handled the whole thing with class. The fund raising success is a victory for both men. Brazeau asked for a rematch but Trudeau, wisely I think, said that his boxing days are over.

Actually I think his quote mentioned that he had bigger things to focus on. The media is jumping on that as a run at the Liberal leadership. His party doesn't support him but talk to the everyday person. He'd win and, well, who else is there?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Nobody has a higher profile than he has in the party, that's for sure. It is an interesting situation.

With Mulcair in as new NDP leader, it will be very interesting to see if there are changes in direction developing for that party.

The Liberals have a real opportunity to make a political attempt to bring Canada back into its natural personality as global peacemaker and "honest broker". Harper, particularly in endorsing this multi-nation coalition that intends to start funding and arming the Syrian rebels has taken Canada to the antipodes of a kind of national dissociative disorder.

First Libya and now Syria. What are we becoming?

Layton was fine with Libya. Mulcair may be fine with Syria. There is a golden opportunity for a Liberal, and why not Trudeau, to say, "Hey, wait a minute. This kind of adventurism is not us."

What I would like to see is Trudeau being impelled by political ideas and aims, not press fluff and dynastic expectations emanating from people who aren't interested in policy.
edit on 3-4-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join