It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steriods. A Possible Explanation For Cop Brutality?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

What a good article and a possible answer. They are definitely on something.

Cops in 2 hour Standoff with Empty Car
www.fox5sandiego.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
While I am certain there is some steroid use among police forces, it isn't enough to explain the growing numbers of bad cops on our streets.

There are fewer and fewer good cops out there and the lax hiring practices are to blame. The type of people joining the force these days are too interested in gaining personal power, rather than serving the public. Losers who cant earn respect in other aspects of their lives expect it to be granted them with the gun and badge. When they discover they are the same loser they were before they put the uniform on, they get bitter and act out.

Clearly the same personality type may be drawn to steroids for a quick fix, but I think it is the basic personality flaws at the base of the problem.

(and a cop who covers for 'bad cops" is a bad cop himself, there is no honor in protecting a corrupt cop, coworker or not)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
There are alot of myths surrounding roid use. Having been in the body building and prize fighting scene ive known people who taken roids and are contrary to the alarmist propaganda, are not turning into the incredible hulk and rampaging around town.

Sure side affects to taking it vary but i think suggesting this as a solution to police brutality is a biiiiiiiiiiiiig stretch.

Further its not like dirtbag cops are a new thing: that just popped up lol

also as the poster previously noted weigh these incidents with all the good the other cops are doing, Of course if all you search for is reports of abuse its going to look like the cops have gone mad.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

Steroid use for cosmetic and athletic enhancement, unless used for hormome replacement therapy in extreme cases of low testosterone levels, is illegal. Why should cops be further above law?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Leonidas

"(and a cop who covers for 'bad cops" is a bad cop himself, there is no honor in protecting a corrupt cop, coworker or not)"

Very well said! This quote should be an automatic response to all authoritarians that relentlessly defend corrupt police on ats and other forums!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Steroid problems among police isnt new and has been an admitted problem within the profession for quite a while now. Though hard-core police apologists will still deny it or downplay it despite the professions own research and publications.

Agencies will argue about the statistics but it's at least common enough for the DEA to tackle police specific AAS use:Steriod Abuse by Law Enforcement Personnel

Despite the illegality of taking steroids without a prescription and the known dangers of steroid abuse the problem continues to grow in the law enforcement community. In Minneapolis, a police sergeant was charged for possession of steroids. He admitted to being a user of steroids. In Miami, a police officer was arrested for the purchasing human growth hormone kits (HGH) from a dealer. The dealer had also informed Federal officials that the police officer had purchased anabolic steroids from him on four other occasions. In Tampa, a police officer was sentenced to 70 months in jail for exchanging 1,000 ecstasy tablets from police custody for steroids.

What makes it worse is many of the abusers think they're doing for righteous reasons:

There are certainly officers in law enforcement who abuse anabolic-androgen steroids. Most of these officers do so for what they perceive as all the right reasons; to provide them a physical and psychological advantage while performing their jobs. These drugs allow the officer to increase muscle strength and size quickly and easily while increasing physical endurance.
Never Too Buff / Officer.com

A quick search of cop forums will open some eyes: "site:forums.officer.com officer.com steroids"

Other info:
Police Chief Magazine
NJ Doc supplied hundreds of cops/firefighters
Police juice up to get "edge"
Cops use of steroids a "Big Problem"

There is no question outside of or within law enforcement that it is a big problem. Nor is it a new problem.

It's at the point where very little can be done about it because so many are doing it. The issue barring any hugely obvious scandal such as the Jersey doctor is for all intents and purposes "under the rug."

It's one of those things that has become passe as simply the cost of doing business. I dont think this is acceptable. Most of you dont. But most of everyone else in the world does so it will remain a problem for the foreseeable future. Just like SWAT over-use, "Stop and Frisk", non-knock warrants, the purchasing of tanks and hover crafts, etc....

The only way to fix it now is to bring it all down and start over. Reform isnt an option.
edit on 17-2-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Probably already been mentioned but:
Stanford prison experiment

While steroids are probably a factor in some cases, it’s the power that is the problem; because power will almost always corrupt in the hands of humans.
This is my theory as to why police brutality has got so out of hand:
Victimless crime. See when cops arrest people for victimless crime they are enforcing on that individual rather than protecting another person like if they arrested a murderer. Drugs are the cause for most arrests and this focus on victimless crime is creating a mentality of enforcement rather than protection, just like the prison guards in the experiment who are enforcing rather than protecting.
If we stopped the war on victimless crime I believe we would see police behave a lot better.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
taking steroids won't make you an asshole, being an asshole makes you an asshole

CX

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I spent 9 years in the military police...we had regular impromptu drugs tests.

I'm glad too, not just as a non-drug user, but as someone who has had to deal with with the negative sides of steroid use.

Gym work used to help my job a lot, but a police officer doesn't need drugs, good training will see you through most of the time without pumping that rubbish into you. You can train for aggressive situations, but increasing the possiblity of your temper flying through the roof will only lead to bad things.

CX.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Sure it is. Steroids in of themselves may not cause cop's to lose it and become more violent, their wives leaving them because of genitalia inadequacies(due to the steroids), probably plays a larger role.

The divorce rate among cop's is fairly high, and that will mess with anyone's head.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Sure it is. Steroids in of themselves may not cause cop's to lose it and become more violent, their wives leaving them because of genitalia inadequacies(due to the steroids), probably plays a larger role.

The divorce rate among cop's is fairly high, and that will mess with anyone's head.

Steroids dont shrink the penis, and they boost the libido. So, no.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I've worked out in gyms regularly for over a decade, have known cops at each of the gyms I've been a member, and yes I'd say about half I came across juice on a semi-regular basis. I have a problem with the attitudes of cops in general, their superiority complex, but don't really have a problem with the actual use of steroids.

What I do have a problem with though, is that unless it's under a doctors supervision, they are engaging in an illegal activity. So from a cops standpoint, don't use the excuse of they're illegal, but just because they're misunderstood, when many laws have no business being laws in the first place, yet cops constantly enforce those.

So it's not the steroid use per se I have a problem with, it's cops engaging in an illegal activity and then turning around and arresting someone for smoking a joint. That's where their "I'm above the law" attitude comes into play.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Rukas

Korathin
Clears Throat

You are right about one thing. Steroids in of themselves do not cause "roidrage". And neither does the super duper amount of testosterone being produced cause roid-rage either.

It is the fact that the male body converts surplus testosterone into ESTROGEN that causes psychosis/roidrage.

Have a nice day.

edit on 18-2-2012 by korathin because: added "And" to the start of third sentence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join