It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A possible solution for bad cops and bad policing.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
(I wasn't sure what forum this would properly fit in. Feel free to move if necessary.)

I can't help but notice the virtual flood of stories here lately about bad cops and bad behavior within law enforcement in general. It's a crying shame that this number of stories exist to share in the first place. It's gotten me to thinking....and I think I have an idea to help with this particular problem of our society. Dirty cops sure won't like it, but they aren't supposed to.

First, lets start from the premise that as cops, they should be held to a higher standard of behavior and personal integrity than anyone else in society. What they chose as a career and the responsibilities they freely chose to assume in their position make that a reality. As such, it seems to me, we need to hold them to at LEAST the same level of punishment, if not more so.

So... How do we handle bad cops so it might make a difference? Well, how about this for a start:

1. Absolutely no protective custody arrangements for former cops in prison.
  2. No consideration in sentencing for their careers or their 'good works' for the community
  3. Absolutely no more tolerance for this 'thin blue line' crap in or out of a courtroom.
  4. Mandatory civilian sections to EVERY police review board on shootings and conduct, nation-wide

Now, I'm very strong about the Protective Custody issue. This is total crap. It's one thing if a Cop is in jail for a bit over a contempt charge.... fine fine...you don't drop THAT man into general population. I get that. Prison though? If a former cop gets that far, he's not a cop. He's a criminal that happened to get into police work and SOMEHOW wound up bluffing his way into a badge! So *NO* more kid gloves.

^^ I have ONE exception...and here is where the system changes dramatically, to my thinking. If the dirty cops we bust in society would like that comfy P.C. status in prison..and would like better than even odds of coming out alive...they have a choice. They have the SAME choice THEY spent years offering OTHERS. They can:

1. Turn Informant and burn his fellow bad cops...so he may LIVE and someday get out of prison
  2. He can "be a man" and go down without telling...and likely die very brutally at the hands of prisoners he helped put there

It's just that simple. Once busted and convicted, they can turn rat or they can die hard. I don't suggest society hurt a bad cop. No No..... Prison is the sentence...but the inmates will do the rest. It's up to that dirty cop just HOW much that 'thin blue line' REALLY means to them.

Until we stop playing with these badge carrying criminals that hide among the rest of the police force, we won't even start to get a handle on the problem, in my humble opinion.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I think that is a wonderful idea too bad nobody in power will go for it, if you think about it the police don't really work for the people anymore

I think they work for the lobbyists/corporate interests.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think you have a few wonderful ideas!
Question is will anyone push to enforce such things on these cops..
With all the videos I have seen go viral on here and other sites in the past few months of these bad cops, it has gotten to the point we are going to have to stand up for ourselves or they will kick us down. They are trained to use force against us, because they know our potential, we have to stand up, I believe and police ourselves, and weed out those bad apples.
However your ideas are very reasonable and soon one day I hope we all see some justice to these cops..knowing the reason they are like that is because who is above them makes me realize we might have to take it into our own hands, question is, Are you ready to stand up? Or are you going to let them keep doing this to us.
Thank you for your thread, we need as much awareness of these bad cops and more solutions like yours!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
A lot of these videos need context to understand them.

Personally, once a person resists arrest, all bets are off, and I could care less if they get beat black and blue, or tazed, or even shot. Don't do it. Simple as that.

Or, do so, and suffer the consequences.

Rodney King is a good example. He was intoxicated (nearly twice the legal limit while driving and traces of marijuana), then fled during a high speed chase exceeding 100mph, and a parolee. When stopped, his other two passengers surrendered, and were taken into custody fine.

Not King though. He acted like a loon, and then made a move like he was going for a gun. He's lucky they didn't shoot him. Instead, the officers grabbed him, and he further resisted. He even shrugged off a Taser once, so they thought he was on PCP.

Yet, those seeing just the video without this context, instead cite police brutality. No, if anything, it was police restraint while trying to deal with a madman.

Even while being beaten, he tries to get back up (after they had ceased), so of course they continued until they could get him in position for cuffing.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by VerityPhantom
I think that is a wonderful idea too bad nobody in power will go for it, if you think about it the police don't really work for the people anymore

I think they work for the lobbyists/corporate interests.

Of course they do. They enforce laws passed by congress. Congress is bought by lobbyists and corporate interests. When you get down to it, cops are just pawns. Pawns that think they are knights or better. Poor fools.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You're right, resisting arrest is a very poor decision. That being said, if a person feels wrongly accused/arrested and feels a good percentage is at hand for getting away, I say go for it, resist to your freedom. It may be the last chance an innocent person has before they throw you in "the ovens".

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

it's either that or have fish and game declare open season on corrupt police. you know, tags, licenses, bounties

top topics

join