It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many Of You Will Not Believe Some Of The Things Americans Are Doing Just To Survive

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thinking about it, we as a society have evolved to a point where we think we can do nothing without spending money. My dad told me he never knew how much he helped his family out by hunting and fishing, something he just loved to do. Also many grew small gardens where they canned everything. They got all the fruits in season cheap or free and once again canned it all. Canning is a lost skill....

I have friends that live on very little money. They use a wood burning stove for heat and cooking, and grow/hunt/can their way to bountiful supplies with little money as part of the process. They make some money by working for a wage (sometimes) selling wood that they scrounge and other odds and ends, but one would not say they have a lifestyle of poverty, or lacking.

It's a culture thing now, but with my many travels around the world I have seen that much of our world's population survive satisfactory using very little money to do it. If I got to the point of living in a sewer eating rats I think I would go back to basics and survive that way before I ended up the other way until my life could change for the better, but that is no longer an option for most with how money dependant we all have become.

edit on 17-2-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Mumbo Jumbo....BIG TIME MUMBO JUMBO!!!!

Hey OP, You may be struggling to survive where ever you rest your head but speak for yourself and not the rest of the 330,000,000+ Americans ok?

You and this Youtube crazed generation are apparently not attempting to better yourself or your circumstances, but instead are posting nonsensical BS on ATS about how Americans are living. Here is some sage advice for you...GET REAL!

There was no "American dream" to begin with. The ONLY THING that comes to SLEEPERS are DREAMS nothing more!

Hey OP just keeping everything on the level here may I ask..

You must not have any passion to succeed in life as an American...are you an American?

Yes this has EVERYTHING to do with your success in America. You must gauge your success by people you see on the regular and not YOURSELF. I eat very well, I live very well and I DO AS I PLEASE. I speak from one perspective...MINE!...and not from the other 330,000,000 American perspectives.

So right there I know that you are not very intelligent or you would not have posted this BS on ATS. This thread goes hand in hand with another thread I read here on ATS about KOOKS POSTING ON ATS.

People do not believe everything you read or see be it Youtube or whatever. America will be just fine. You must be one of those disinfo agents. Hey OP, this is one sorry excuse of a thread filled with BS from ONE MAN's perspective.

People do not believe this OP's post. Every society including America has its share of indigent population. That will continue until man no longer exists as a species. Hey OP there is something that US ADULTS do called COPING...someone in your household should have taught you how to do this as you experience situations that you have no control over.

OP you are a LIER on this one...and you have bought every bit of this title!....EVERY BIT!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by maestromason

So what this guy wrote is a LIE?? How #ing pathetic are you, that your even defending this kind of #!! Ever heard of empathy..

Originally posted by wantsome
I would just like to add I'm from the Detroit area. I have friends that are pretty close to eating rats thierselves. My buddy thats 20 is supporting his mother with cancer and his younger brother on $8000 a year. He's pretty smart and graduated at the top of his class. He can't get a higher education he's to busy making ends meat. His mother has cancer and no insurance. They haven't had gas in over a year. They have no heat or hot water. Thankfully for him it was a mild winter. Do you know what it's like to take a shower in 38* water? Your borderline hypothermic by the time you get out.

My aunt lost her job 6 years ago she's 57. She couldn't find work after years of searching. She was diagnosed with cancer a year ago. The cancer she has was highly treatable but she couldn't get the medical treatment she needed so it's basically gonna cost her her life.

The only free people in this country are the ones that can afford to live here. And if you can't then it must be your own fault. That's the BS republicans want you to believe. To them I say UP YOURS!

edit on 17-2-2012 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind
reply to post by Xtrozero

Yeah obviously the job market has nothing to do with it. Neither does the loss of manufacturing jobs. Neither does the increase in the cost of living while wages remain flat ...

Isn't it obvious the only thing that has happened in the last 4 years is people have gotten lazier ...

Poverty line hasn't changed much...25% is about where it has always been, but let's take a look at Germany with three times our unemployment...I'm sure there are no rats left in that country, but then just maybe......

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Your idea of everyone who is jobless becoming an entrepreneur is great and all but last time I checked starting a business takes something called capital - you know money. Also does it really need to be pointed out to you how many start-up businesses fail in the first year? What about the first three years? What about all the established small businesses that are going out of business?

I have tried to start numerous businesses on a shoe string budget and failed - namely because I didn't have enough capital to get it off the ground - advertising being the most costly. Bottom line I finally got something going. But I had advantages many others don't - one being another source of income to rely on while I got things going.

Getting a small business going and becoming a successful entrepreneur is possibly one of the hardest things anyone can try to accomplish and is next to impossible if they have no money.

And while the message of hanging tough, thinking out side the box, never giving up, etc are valid and good points you can't ignore the circumstances people find themselves in. How are you going to start a business when you are spending all your time just trying to find a warm place to stay and put food in your belly.

I would bet if you were stripped of everything you had, all your possessions, degrees, personal contacts, money - everything - and tossed out on the street and told to survive - Then you might begin to possess some understanding of the problems some people face. When you have done that and rebuilt your life to some modicum of success come back and tell everyone the ways in which you did it.

And if this has already happened then tell us your story so others may benefit. Until then ... your advice is really useless ....

edit on 17-2-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

You are so wrong...so I will keep this short and concentrated. Yes it takes capital but mainly it takes drive. Great ideas will find funding through various sources Venture Capitalist and Angel Investors so your whole argument is in the mud. I do not need anything other than my mind to survive here or anywhere else. The capital always finds and funds great ideas. If you depend on anything or anyone to support you be it money or family, friends you will soon become detritus in the ever revolving food chain.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Ive never understood why homeless people dont just move to the woods.. If I was homeless the first thing I would do is go to the woods and build a structure there.. sure its easier said then done but its not impossible, how did people live hundreds of years ago? matter of fact people still live like that today.. The problem with people today is they feel as if money is the only thing that keeps them afloat, without money everyone thinks they have nothing and can do nothing.

Im not poor, however im far from well off, I struggle with my bills every week and im behind on everything from electric,heating, to water. The only reason they havent shut these things off for me is because we have younger kids in the house, but you know what if the time ever comes that I need to hunt or start a garden I will gladly do so. If the time ever comes that I run out of money to pay for my family I will gladly hunt and scavenge to survive, Im no pushover, it takes a lot more then being broke to send me to the streets.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
I would just like to add I'm from the Detroit area. I have friends that are pretty close to eating rats thierselves. My buddy thats 20 is supporting his mother with cancer and his younger brother on $8000 a year. He's pretty smart and graduated at the top of his class. He can't get a higher education he's to busy making ends meat. His mother has cancer and no insurance. They haven't had gas in over a year. They have no heat or hot water. Thankfully for him it was a mild winter. Do you know what it's like to take a shower in 38* water? Your borderline hypothermic by the time you get out.

My aunt lost her job 6 years ago she's 57. She couldn't find work after years of searching. She was diagnosed with cancer a year ago. The cancer she has was highly treatable but she couldn't get the medical treatment she needed so it's basically gonna cost her her life.

The only free people in this country are the ones that can afford to live here. And if you can't then it must be your own fault. That's the BS republicans want you to believe. To them I say UP YOURS!

Well first... Detroit is about the worst place in America to live, and as you say it is unfortunate your buddy is stuck there with the support he needs to provide, but one must understand that this situation he is in will not get better, ever.

Being in a stiuation that will NEVER get better is what many people need to come realize and then understand they might need to do something drastic to change it...

For him, how about joining the Military? You say he is smart and once in he would get dependant care for his mother and brother with free medical and housing for all....not a bad way to start to get out of a never ending situation.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

And what happens when the middle class become the poor class and all that is left are the ultra wealthy?

What then? The middle class just made poor life choices?

There is a WAR on the American middle class! This country is being systematically destroyed by the power elite and all you can do is blame it on the poor.

Just wait time will prove me right .... and I don't want to be right!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

So let me get this straight a homeless person is gonna get a great idea and present it to venture capitalist who are gonna just love it and throw money at his idea.

You been around many people with money? I have ...

Yeah

Rags to riches stories happen all the time especially to 25% of the population ...

Good to know you live in the real world.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

And what happens when the middle class become the poor class and all that is left are the ultra wealthy?

What then? The middle class just made poor life choices?

There is a WAR on the American middle class! This country is being systematically destroyed by the power elite and all you can do is blame it on the poor.

Just wait time will prove me right .... and I don't want to be right!

"When" is also a BIG "if". I understand your point, and I blame no one, but we all live, or die, by our life choices do we not?

I will stand right next to you if that situation happens, trust me, but though I do see inflation affecting our lifestyle I also see life choices ruling one's life more than the smoke and mirror "elites".

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Well I agree with taking personal responsibility (and i do), but whether you see it yet or not we are in this together.

I can't prove to you the destruction of America is at hand - really I would think it was obvious - but it will happen and you will doubt no more.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Homeless man with family: "I need a job to feed my family."

ATSer #1: "Just get a unique idea that would make tons of money and present that idea to people with money."

ATSer #2: "Dude there are too many people in the world as it is. I've got to take care of my own. If you don't make it - oh well - life sucks."

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Shagga

Shagga, the "woods" as you call them are mostly owned, operated and maintained by city and state municipalities and are not maintained for human dwelling. I own 600 acres of raw forestry & timberland and you would not believe the red tape I am going through to have a small portion of MY LAND cleared, water wells audited, septic system installed, wildlife audits, ect, ect so that I can build my retreat in the forest.

Zoning issues arise when humans start to inhabit prime forestry near either water tables or viable rivers. Us humans seem to carry with us a rather HUGE footprint that consumes a lot of resources where ever we dwell.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Homeless man with family: "I need a job to feed my family."

Ok, what skills do you have?

Well I can screw a nut on a bolt that I did for 10 years with the Union making 76 bucks an hour on the assembly line....

Ok... what else can you do? Can you join the military or some other federal organization?

Well no, I got busted a couple of times back in the day....

Hmm ok, have you looked into all programs your state may offer?

What programs?

Well ok let's see, what other skills have you learned?

I told you I'm an expert nut screwer!!! Damnit can't you understand?

I understand, but there just isn't a whole lot of openings for expert nut screwers, you need to do something else.

That is the problem with America it is going to Hell I tell ya!!! I was making 76 bucks an hour and now I don't have a job!! It all Bush's fault I tell ya!!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by lordnightstalker

Ok didnt want to go there. But people do get old ya know. High blood pressure & COPD.

I need a car & truck because I dont live in the city and Iam self employed for 30 years now.

I have a mortgage because it was cheaper than a four bedroom apartment (house) to rent so I could raise my kids. True mortgages do last longer than 18 years, but real estate used to be the best investment you could make before the banksters screwed us all just a few years back. Oh yeah less than a thousand bucks a month including school and local taxes that have surged in the past couple of years.

Ive never been one to visit the doctor unless I thought I might die so antibiotics ...hardly ever vacinations only the one that were forced on me like in childhood and the army. Never needed more excercise because I worked hard.

Not sure what you meen by wanting NOW. How about, Ive paid in since I was a working kid in 1970's and now I could use some back.

You sound kinda young how old are you? Do you have a family to raise in you $500 apartment with no car ?

Have you seen what happened to people who had investments since 2001?

Or did you mean I should invest in CD's at 1% intrest?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I can't prove to you the destruction of America is at hand - really I would think it was obvious - but it will happen and you will doubt no more.

Could be, but things were worst in the 70s than they are today. I would love to see many changes for the better, but I don't see any drastic failures in our lifetime, but this doesn't mean I'm not prepared if it does happen...I'm more focused on something like a major power grid failure than a economic collapse, but in either case me and my family will not go hungry.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve

And out of curiosity what do YOU do? Do you offer your home to homeless people? Do you set up food drives and go out and try and feed people? Obviously you do more than I do so what is that exactly that makes you less callous and cold than I am?

Do I do food drives?

Do I help people that can't help themselves? Yes

Do I take care of my family? Yes

I understand your point about taking care of your family first, but this world is a big place just very mismanaged by greed, corruption and not enough compassion for their follow human being.

One day your family/offspring will be those nameless people in the world. We are all connected.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunchmanstan

I need a car & truck because I dont live in the city and Iam self employed for 30 years now.

Self employed is tough way to live. It's kind of live or die by the sword scenario, and when it is a year to year thing with no real investments, or passing on to future generations as a way to sustain oneself in later years you really have nothing when the day comes that you cannot work anymore, but it is also the avenue where people get rich too.

I took the safety side and did 28 years in the military followed by a second career that pays well from my military expertise, but I do understand your dilemma. Back when you were 30 though how did you think to live in your 60 and beyond? Just wondering about that and how if failed to happen.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Could be, but things were worst in the 70s than they are today. I would love to see many changes for the better, but I don't see any drastic failures in our lifetime, but this doesn't mean I'm not prepared if it does happen...I'm more focused on something like a major power grid failure than a economic collapse, but in either case me and my family will not go hungry.

I'm glad you have considered the possibilities and have taken measures. Hope you and yours do well.

I have done similar but not as much as I wish I could ...

I really feel this country and our society is in serious decline and I can't help thinking that a greedy mindset by everyone - not just the power elite - is really to blame. Compassion is being lost.

I don't mean that people with means should be handing over money to people who refuse to work.

I mean in the way the mechanic on the corner gets a little extra money from his customers by not being totally honest. They way a chicken food conglomerate works to make their farmers indebted to them. The way a credit card company has the website payment system go down right before the deadline making thousands or tens of thousands late on their payment and incur penalties. A small business owner that tries to get a little extra work from someone off the clock. Its countless the ways in which people and companies are trying to screw other people out of money. Just look at how dishonest nearly all advertising is ...

Greed - Its a disease, like cancer eating out the heart and soul of this country.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

So let me get this straight a homeless person is gonna get a great idea and present it to venture capitalist who are gonna just love it and throw money at his idea.

You been around many people with money? I have ...

Yeah

Rags to riches stories happen all the time especially to 25% of the population ...

Good to know you live in the real world.

You missed the whole point. You must not comprehend very well what you read there is a classification for people like yourself and they are called .....Functional Illiterates. I never mentioned anything about the homeless so once again you are in the mud. Now if you would like to know about the homeless...that is those who are truly homeless without family, friends to look to I can tell you this... NO ONE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA HAS TO EAT RATS AND LIVE IN A SEWER.

The U.S. has MANY philanthropic organizations set up to feed the hungry, shelter the homeless as well as to clothe and shod them. I own and operate one, and so do many of my multimillionaire clients.

FALSE PRIDE can kill and a closed mouth never gets fed. Indigent people in the US do not have to live like they are in a 2nd or 3rd world country. Hell even our poorest of people live like kings compared to other parts of the world. Have you traveled the world? I have. I have seen and lived the lifestyles of other parts of the world and guess what? NO COUNTRY'S INDIGENT POPULATION IN THE WORLD LIVES BETTER THAN OUR INDIGENT.

So when you are sick and tired of having your face in the mud and would like to talk factual information I am here.

btw...your avatar does not do you justice!...try Forrest Gump instead youngman.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join