It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many Of You Will Not Believe Some Of The Things Americans Are Doing Just To Survive

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is a very important topic and I thank you for bringing it to people's attention. This is one of many reasons I am against ilegal immigration. To see millions of our poor citizens go jobless while millions of illegals are employed and have all their needs met is insane!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
its not that the american people dont care,
when in tough times most keep clear of controversy to ensure they are not the ones thrown into the cold.
when it a family or ideals the family must take presedent.

the media does NOTHING to highlight the problem and keeps the populace in ignorence to the size and scale of the problem.

imagine this
outside large cities there are tent cities of the poor homeless the disposesed and the forclosed on,
inside the city people do the same thing and are arrested or evicted.

the media is intentionally blind to the dicotamy,

its not just the homeless and destitute that are effected, whole comunities are effected,

the illusion is crashing and the retoric used is now seen as HOLLOW.
there is a humanitarian crisis in america and countries around the world would like to help,
but there is an effort to not recognise the crisis,

but we just want to help the people, not comunisim, not capitalism, just HELP,
like our american big brothers have done countless times for our countries in the past.

to be able to help our big brother in his time of need

xploder

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

this will sound politically correct to most of you but

while millions of illegals

define an illegal human being.

it's a ridiculous thing someone can be deemed an illegal human being.

border patrol agent: Hey you Chavez, the second your cross this imaginairy line you're an illegal human being!

Chavez: que?

i can't put my mind around that concept.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Food banks in my area are empty. Unfortunately they are not allowed to take donations of home grown veggies. (Salmonella and other food borne illness risk) There are no jobs here. Just a lot of empty store fronts. Half of my neighborhood was foreclosed on and the illegals moved in by the hordes. Crime has skyrocketed, mostly theft.
We had 6,000 people apply during Mcdonalds big hiring day last year.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

illegal human: Tresspasser.
Close enough?
For instance, someone waking in your front door unwanted.
Or someone crossing your border illegally.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Rockpuck can speak for himself but the propaganda is pretty thick in this thread. Crap like this, for example:

the U.S. government is absolutely drowning in debt and cannot afford to be giving out so much money. My point here is to show the other side of the equation. There are millions upon millions of Americans that are barely hanging on and there are no jobs for them. The suffering that those families are going through is very real.

All one needs to do is open their eyes and look around to see there are plenty of jobs to do. Of course, these jobs that need to be done are not nicely packaged corporatized jobs that Americans feel so richly entitled to, they are the sort of jobs that require enterprising people to take on and even take the risk of not being profitable for a few years while taking on that job but confident in the vision that once the job is done the profits will begin to roll in.

What I am talking about are entrepreneurs who come in all shapes and sizes, all classes of wealth, and all types of creeds. The entrepreneur does not worry about how many employers are employing employees, instead the entrepreneur recognizes a problem that requires an answer and that entrepreneur -seeing a job that needs to be done - offers that answer.

There are plenty of jobs that need to be done on this planet. If a person wants to wait for someone to come along and do that job in hopes that once the job is getting done this might in turn create employment and this person might get hired to help do the job, this is any persons prerogative. The thing is, if people don't want to take their future into their own hands and carve their own path through the jungle, they don't have to, but if they are not taking their future then someone is handing it to them. It is of the utmost importance, if one hopes to survive the troubles of life, to successfully predict any given outcome. It is even more important to successfully predict outcomes when they are being handed to you by others.

Mainstream media did not mystically zap critical thinking skills out of people. People just have poorly developed skills in critical thought. The truth has not been hidden from anyone, it hides in plain sight. It is, as it has always been, simple. Jesus is recorded as saying: "The poor you have with you always...", and since time immemorial this reality has been true. If someone is poor, the truth is not recognizing that financial status as a caste system, lifestyle, or destiny, the truth is recognizing the transience of time and space and that every artist recreates what they see.

If someones vision of the world is bleak and dependent upon a power elite in order to make sense out of it, then under this vision it would make sense that reactions to certain stimuli would result in outrage and protest underscored by an assured understanding that we are helpless and can do nothing without the power elites approval. Maybe, if only maybe, enough of us were to show our genuine outrage and protest maybe the power elite will understand and give us our well deserved chocolate rivers, marshmallow clouds and tangerine skies.

If individuals are not willing to take their lives into their own hands it follows that these individuals would be squeamish about taking what they must in order to survive. The Pilgrims did not sail to the New World because they heard there were some really great jobs with lots of swag and benefits. The American expansion out West did not happen because a bunch of cowboys and cowgirls heard there were some really high paying jobs with paid vacations, paid sick leave, 410k and health insurance, and the expansion out in space will not happen because a bunch of people hear that there are high paying jobs out in space. The jobs will come just as they did, but those jobs, the one so many are so alarmed have been "shipped overseas", those jobs that would label you an employee, those jobs are handed to you.

Dare to view the world differently. Dare to see the vast sea of opportunities out there and dare to find a job that needs to be done but no paying a salary to get it done. Dare to find a job that needs to get done that you are passionate about getting done. Dare to decide what your destiny demands. Dare to create your own wealth by taking on the responsibility of a job that needs to get done but no one had yet got that job done. These jobs are everywhere. Indeed, you've posted a thread submitting a problem that needs solutions that hopefully lead to answers. There is a job that no one seems to know how to get done, easing the suffering for the poor. If this is your passion, then ease the suffering of the poor. Mother Teresa did and lived a full, fruitful and happy life.

Whatever job you do, don't surrender to those who think all you can have is only what they give.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

furthermore could you expend a little more on the propaganda part?

Absolutely I could. And did. As did many other Americans in the thread I linked to that is about the SAME VIDEO.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Why are these people eating rats? Why aren't they collecting food stamps and welfare and unemployment and section 8 housing free cell phone service mega tax credits (child tax credits, EIC) TANF Medicaid, too many to list.

List of US Government Funding programs

Thats culturaly specific these days.. You know how hard it is to get that these days? Of course... If you lie on the application, you are a shoe in... But for those who are actually putting real information on those applications, Sorry.. No Go!

I promice you, most of the people on wellfare lie on their applications just to get it, making it harder for those who tell the truth to get it. The standards are higher now. They have to know every single detail about you. I've seen the ap. It's large! The app alone is a deterent from making you fill it out. The information they ask on the app is also difficult for many to understand.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Why are these people eating rats? Why aren't they collecting food stamps and welfare and unemployment and section 8 housing free cell phone service mega tax credits (child tax credits, EIC) TANF Medicaid, too many to list.

List of US Government Funding programs

Great question. It's called propaganda. Or the people in the video are exemplary ignoramuses. For instance the fat kid who ate a rat.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Absolutely I could. And did. As did many other Americans in the thread I linked to that is about the SAME VIDEO.

it's not.

how on earth you can proclaim a 3 minute vid is the same as a 35 minute vid is beyond me.

i'll go and read the other thread now.

but the intent, information, nor the video in that thread were the same as the info i provided.
edit on 16-2-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
this makes me sick! The american dream is total BS.
I have to say i don't see any change at all and right now we are going down the wrong road.
We've been going down this road for a long time and all these wars are not making this situation better.
if we spent all that money on our own people america could be shining like a star.
I say we take care of our people and our problems first before we try to solve other countrys and world problems.
politicians that think that if a person can't afford to go to a doc he shouldn't be treated are freakin insane. we need leaders that care about people and life and not care about money and power.
i was just in the middle of eating a apple when i started watching this vid and i stoped eating cuz i felt sad seeing those children having to suffer like that.
i know how it is to come home from school and all i got to eat was peanutbutter sandwiches for like a week or eating ketchup on my bread cuz there was no food in the house. so i know how these children feel.
and it makes me sick!
thx for making this thread cuz it reminds us how good we actually have it.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

All one needs to do is open their eyes and look around to see there are plenty of jobs to do. Of course, these jobs that need to be done are not nicely packaged corporatized jobs that Americans feel so richly entitled to, they are the sort of jobs that require enterprising people to take on and even take the risk of not being profitable for a few years while taking on that job but confident in the vision that once the job is done the profits will begin to roll in.

yeah all those millions of people out of work must be real bums.

they'd rather eat rats then work @ McDonalds.

is that the message you're trying to convey here?

There are plenty of jobs that need to be done on this planet.

sure, doesn't mean they're in the USA though.

The thing is, if people don't want to take their future into their own hands and carve their own path through the jungle, they don't have to, but if they are not taking their future then someone is handing it to them. It is of the utmost importance, if one hopes to survive the troubles of life, to successfully predict any given outcome.

wow beautifu and i wholeheartly agree

Mainstream media did not mystically zap critical thinking skills out of people.

well a lot of people would have me believe otherwise

Maybe, if only maybe, enough of us were to show our genuine outrage and protest maybe the power elite will understand and give us our well deserved chocolate rivers, marshmallow clouds and tangerine skies.

chocolate river?

count me in!

Dare to view the world differently. Dare to see the vast sea of opportunities out there and dare to find a job that needs to be done but no paying a salary to get it done.

ok sure.

but how will i pay for my expenses then?

ETA:

could you also explain why you think the following statement is 'crap'

the U.S. government is absolutely drowning in debt and cannot afford to be giving out so much money. My point here is to show the other side of the equation. There are millions upon millions of Americans that are barely hanging on and there are no jobs for them. The suffering that those families are going through is very real.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by samaria

Blame the wars, blame the president(s), blame the banks..... blame YOUR SELF.

I have the American dream. It's not a rosey dream by any means, there have been months where I've had to decide which bills to pay and which to not. But I own a house, my wife has 2 jobs and works her ass off. I was laid off a while ago, but I do odd jobs, design websites, I've done financial consulting, different types of labor.. I don't sit on my ass and collect a government paycheck in other words. There are all kinds of jobs out there, not all are glamorous or pay well, hell I've done a lot of jobs and got paid nothing, I do them for connections. In fact I start a "free" job next week, for a week I'll work my ass off just in the hopes of meeting new people to connect with. People seem to forget.. the American Dream was never to be handed to you.. it was supposed to be earned by hard work, sweat and blood. People like you, bitching and moaning about how unfair # is, or how the Government is holding you back by their inept policies is pathetic.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Use the search function.. this propaganda has already been posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have to differ with you. Propaganda, you say? Not happening in America, you says? Yes, it is happening, and has been going on for some time now. With all the jobs lost, the homes taken away by the Banking Cartel, the prices going always up, people are hungry in America right now, while Fat Cats ride to their cushy office in Town Cars to sit at a desk that cost more that a working man's pay for a month. I have seen the homeless, first hand, I myself was a homeless person for over a year. It is not pretty, my friend, and to call if propaganda is an insult to those who cannot afford a meal tonight for their kids.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

yeah all those millions of people out of work must be real bums. they'd rather eat rats then work @ McDonalds. is that the message you're trying to convey here?

Nope, that is your message. This is your world view. In your world view people have only two choices; either to eat rats or work at McDonald's, and both of these choices are not of their own making these choices were made for them by the so called "power elite". You are so caught up in your own smug self righteousness that you cannot even see that it is you who not only used the word "bum" but you who necessarily view people in this way. Surely these people could not ever - in your world view - rise up and seize the day!

sure, doesn't mean they're in the USA though.

This you respond to because I say there are plenty of jobs to be done on this planet, and necessarily ignoring my point that these jobs are not the employment kind of jobs, they are the jobs that no one is doing but need to be done kind of jobs. Of course, you don't want to discuss those kind of jobs. You certainly don't want to discuss the idea that the unemployed simply just change their focus and become entrepreneurs working for themselves instead of being employees for others. This is not your concern, your concern is where the jobs that can be given to you are. Apparently for you, in the U.S.A. there are not enough jobs being given to you. This is all that matters to you, this is all you want to discuss, but then you will post in wide eyed innocence: "What propaganda?"

wow beautifu and i wholeheartly agree

I knew inside that avatar was an individual just bursting to break free of all the nonsense. You are searching for the truth and only you can figure out what the truth is, but the more willing you are to discuss the matters that we disagree upon the more clearly the both of us will see the truth. Successfully predicting outcomes requires much awareness of much reality. It is a tough gig to be sure.

ok sure. but how will i pay for my expenses then?

For some of us, as it has been for myself, the short answer would be very carefully. When I walked away from my job of more than 15 years I had very little capital to sustain myself while I broke free from the chains of employment and began forging my own businesses. I have seen plenty of hard times since I have made this decision, but here's the deal: I am far happier today than I had been for over 20 years. I got fat and unhealthy working that stupid job for as long as I did, so when I struggle through days where there is no cash to eat, I don't suffer hunger, I fast. Sometimes, especially for dudes who got too fat to begin with, you have to feed to spirit not the body. I was surprised at how much energy comes with fasting and how that energy translates into production that pays.

Successful prediction is always important in this matter. It is not enough to do something you always wanted to do, or a job you know needs to get done, you have to be able to successfully predict the outcome and know your effort will generate wealth so that you may flourish and prosper. Successful prediction does not, however, mean eliminating suffering. Everyone suffers regardless of their station in life.

Let that last sentence be in answer to your question of why I think the paragraph I quoted from your link is crap. Everybody suffers, this is true. It is not the suffering that matters, it is the importance we place upon it that matters. If suffering is important to someone, that someone will insist on suffering no matter what the circumstances. So, when a talking head informs us of the suffering of the poor, and presents it as if it is breaking news that would alarm the comfortably wealthy if only they knew, this crap is operating on so many assumptions at once it boggles the mind.

One has to assume, in order to buy this crap, that only the poor know suffering as it was intended to be and all other suffering is secondary to the suffering of the poor. It is clearly assumed that most Americans have no idea or notion of how much suffering poverty causes, yet inexplicably hopes to present this suffering as rampant throughout American society. It is - either tacitly or expressly - assumed that the only available option for the poor is employment with corporate society, thus jobs means high paying middle class entry employment and no mention made what-so-ever of free markets and free market principles that would instruct people they can simply just start competing in the market place and make their own business out of meeting some demand with whatever supply you can muster.

Everybody suffers, the only way out of suffering is by going through it while placing as little as importance on it as possible.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Poverty happens. Many children in the USA are poor.. mostly because poor people on average have twice as many kids as middle class families. Which only exasperates poverty...

But the video is blatant propaganda in that it's saying that kids are some how left behind. Even while mentioning the vast amount of resources we pour into feeding poor homeless brats, the orator still says we starve them? Then focuses on a fat kid who ate rats? Really? Yes it's propaganda because the whole point of the video is to say that the USA is not Socialist enough to "care for it's people" and that somehow the way our society is structured is to purposefully keep people down.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Yeah, and if the native Americans had had better border security back in 1492.....

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Let me clarify something here very quickly... unless it has happened to you, then you have no IDEA what you're talking about friends.

Three years ago, my wife was dx'd with MS... unable to work and lost her high paying job at a major company dealing internationally in air plane engines and the like...
Oh well, not to worry, we were owners in a lucrative construction company and even part owners of a nice pub on the side...

Ahhhhhhh... then came the crash of the housing market which obliterated all financing which in turn destroyed the commercial construction market

I have been an executive business owner in the highway and building construction business for more than 40 years. Very successful I might add.

However, banks defaulted on payments to our construction company for more than $500k... just told the borrowers and us to piss off... and the business of our little pub spirled downwards rapidly due so many not having a job and it crashed.

I will add here:

First - you may think you know what you are talking about, but again, just be quiet as you don't... my wife and I learned the hard way... BOOM... in losing our house and paying off debts more than $350k saved for retirement went flying out the window never to be seen again... moved in with our daughter and her family and lived there for three years... YES, three years...

More than 300 resumes, being on every employment service on the net, contacting and networking with everyone I knew, I got 0 interviews and 17 no thank you, we've chosen someone else... and btw... most of my friends and many owners of major construction firms either no longer had companies and or had jobs.

Now, before you attempt to blow smoke, I applied for every job available, right down to a janitor position at the school where our middle daughter teaches... even a door greeter at Wal Mart... Home Depot... Kmart... sackers and stock boy at groceries where I was told there were lists of hundreds trying to find work... convenience marts where I heard the same story... sorry, we have at least a hundred ahead of you...

And... to correct those who believe... I don't care who you are or who you think you are... social services for honest folks is worthless and should be totally abandoned... and unemployment is worthless are I defy you to live on $240 a week and pay your rent, utilities and buy groceries, go to the doctor, buy your medication and ocassionally have a burger at McDonalds in celebration of having $5 in your pocket.

I finally, like hundreds I have met which extrapolates to millions nationwide gave up and did the only thing left. I took a huge rippin in my SS and applied early... now, here is my favorite part.... with me drawing SS retirement along with my wife's SS disability causes us to MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY and we don't qualify for food stamps, medicaid or any other social service programs.

Everything you read about social programs protecting anyone is likely a huge pile of BS... and as I have family and friends all over the country... although my state is worse than some.... American has lost it employment base by shipping everything over seas to cheap labor.

NOW... I ask for nor expect sympathy as my sister is renting us one of her rental houses for a riduclously low rate and with my wife disability and my SS we do somehow make ends meet.

But anyone saying there are jobs even poor people can live on needs to remove their head A from their Arse B as it with very few exceptions is a bald face LIE...

And I'm not interested in the propoganda built around the few who use social services illegally as the number and value is a HUGE lie by our government like many other of their statistics...

Americas one chance is to turn its back to this world economy BS and rebuild it industry base even if it means become an isolationist.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCurmudgeon

Let me add, from 7+ years working the homeless field, that it isn't as easy to get back on one's feet as some might think. Imagine being told you aren't qualified for benefits - because you and the mother of children are married. Imagine being told that no, losing a foot isn't enough cause for disability. or, so sorry you lost everything when you came home from Afghanistan - but this housing is for people who have NEEDS. Truly, the are times when modern America enrages me.

Let's stop b******* and start thinking of actual SOLUTIONS. Not that you're bi***ing, sir, just a general comment to the board.
edit on 16/2/12 by Kyprian because: clarification

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Good thread but disheartening to say the least here. From what I have read here and watched also I believe that nobody is arguing that things are really really bad.

We feel for you all and we too here in Canada are feeling the pinch but nowhere near your level of pain.

S&F
We have room for two here if they feel the need to escape this undesirable situation.
We are about 60 miles or so north of Detroit but reside in Canada.
Regards, Iwinder

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join