It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power Of Antimatter

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
hehe imagine an antimatter bomb... it would be 1000's of times more powerful then an atomic bomb. lol i hope we dont ever test an explosion on earth... if we ever make one.

www.edwardmuller.com...

hummm if aliens are scared of our atomic bomb, then what about an antimatter bomb muahahahahaaaaaaaa....

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Well, if I remember correctly, 1kg of Anti Matter would cost hundreds of trillions of dollars to manufacture and buy, so its not really practical atm...

Interesting site though...

Fraser

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
last i heard it was like $ 90 trillian lol.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
as if a nuke wasn't enough.. we need an anti matter weapon.. for what exactly.... who ever created the idea for such an item is a meglomaniac who needs a spanking from his mummy and sending to bed with no supper!

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
well id hate to think that ppl would even want to have 1 id agree with having the means to create such a weapon but not to implement it unless we had a threat from an offworld source ,and thinkin about it 1kg of anti set off as a bomb would blow the earth in tiny particals floating in space and i think if any nation on this planet thought of making such a weapon and it came to light i think thats a just cause for war to stop it

ud have to be crazy to build such a thing

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The question I have: how did they think of this.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
we could build it and test it on mars or another plant in our solar system. Like someone said our little gray friends wont mess with us if they know we can make big things go *boom*

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
They thought of it when they realized matter could be converted to energy when reacted with antimatter. It's like when they found out that you could do the same using fission and fusion. The thing is, antimatter is far more efficient. It's a scary thing, but we won't have to worry about it 'till they find a way to make antimatter cheaply.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rugoolian
well id hate to think that ppl would even want to have 1 id agree with having the means to create such a weapon but not to implement it unless we had a threat from an offworld source ,and thinkin about it 1kg of anti set off as a bomb would blow the earth in tiny particals floating in space and i think if any nation on this planet thought of making such a weapon and it came to light i think thats a just cause for war to stop it

ud have to be crazy to build such a thing

One kg of anti-matter annilating with one kg of matter is approximately equivalent to a 42 megaton explosion. Powerful but nothing close to destroying Earth. In fact the power need to break up Earth is somewhere in excess of 1 trillion megatons(probably several digits more).

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
yep you wound need at least 71,300,000,000,000,000 megatons just to slow the earth down to fall into the sun... and that wont even blow the earth up... so u seen u need a very BIG bang to blow up the earth.

www.lajzar.co.uk...

i dont think u have to worry bout some country with nukes saying its going to blow up the earth.

[edit on 17-9-2004 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
i can only think of one practical use for such a weapon. defending us from the wrath of the heavens, like a comet and or space invaders. yeah mostly a comet that is as big as texas would only be detstroyed by something with the magnitude of an anti matter blast.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
yep i agree with you, but if they grays start more crap, we can send em a antimatter bomb too
little gray bastards...

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I know it's slightelt off topic but still since it's all about anti-matter: it is said that anti-matter could be used for space travel. In theory a spacecraft inside an anti-matter bubble could bend the space-time fabric ( squeezing it in the front and enlarging it in the rear) and lead the craft into hyper-space without putting it to the stress of such speeds coz relatively speaking it's immobile. Just playing with the flow of time.....

Will search for a link.... forgot where i read it

[edit on 18-9-2004 by Bl00D_Th0rN]

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bl00D_Th0rN
I know it's slightelt off topic but still since it's all about anti-matter: it is said that anti-matter could be used for space travel. In theory a spacecraft inside an anti-matter bubble could bend the space-time fabric ( squeezing it in the front and enlarging it in the rear) and lead the craft into hyper-space without putting it to the stress of such speeds coz relatively speaking it's immobile. Just playing with the flow of time.....

Will search for a link.... forgot where i read it

Antimatter won't do that. It's essentially matter with opposite charges from normal matter. It also annihlates with matter to produce pions, gamma rays, etc. If it did that, we'd be using it for stuff, like making incredibly thin bubbles. It works with gravity just the same as normal matter.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DanD9
Antimatter won't do that. It's essentially matter with opposite charges from normal matter. It also annihlates with matter to produce pions, gamma rays, etc. If it did that, we'd be using it for stuff, like making incredibly thin bubbles. It works with gravity just the same as normal matter.

Well that's why the article got my attention.......
Didn't see how it's possible....

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
just found this link :
www.astro.cf.ac.uk...
but this isn't what i read... still searching.... but the exotic matter cited in this article could be antimatter....

P.S: if u want just google: Miguel Alcubierre

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84
i can only think of one practical use for such a weapon. defending us from the wrath of the heavens, like a comet and or space invaders. yeah mostly a comet that is as big as texas would only be detstroyed by something with the magnitude of an anti matter blast.
If we have problems with asteroids the size of Texas we probably just need to nuke the thing off course. What we need protection from is Ben Affleck.

As for all this stuff about lets blow up the grays lets consider this. They probably invented anti-matter bombs thousands of years ago or something. If humans could invent it I don't see why the grays can't invent it. Besides the only way to defend ourselves from aliens is probably hoping they invade instead of just nuking us untill all life is annilated, then we just pray that guerilla warfare works. Our only option would be to hope we put up enough of a fight to make them figure were not worth the effort.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I think research into it's manufacture could be useful to the future for planetary defence from asteroids or any kind of possible (though pretty much unlikely) invasion.

It would be insane to see the blast and effect from a 1000 ton antimatter bomb (not on Earth though)

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I 'm reading Angles and Demons, and while its not a non fiction book, much of the stuff is based on fact. In the book they make the point that anti matter is 100% effecient in creating energy compared with nuclear which they claim is only 1.5% effcient at creating energy, but then they also make the point for anti matter to really be useful it would have to be able to create more energy than it takes to make it in a super particle collider. It makes sense to me. If it take 1000kW or whatever of energy to create a nano graham that can only create 5000kW of enery then whats the point?

As far as weapons go I would think from a destructive point of view it would be easier and cheaper to go the old fashion nuke route?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hmm, an antimatter bomb would be incredibly hard to build, even if you could get all that antimatter. Then again, you wouldn't need ALL that much, thanks to our old friend e=mc^2. The problem would come in storing that much antimatter safley - you'd need a seamless magnetic bottle (impossible) in a perfect vacum (pretty close to impossible) - as any matter at all that comes into contact with it will spin off (usually) gamma rays, and regular baryonic matter - chain reaction.

Neat idea in theory, though. Who doesn't want to end all life in our corner of the universe.?

As to why they thought this up, well, there was a time when any physicsist who wanted govm't funds or published anything would be asked "Can this be weaponized?"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join