It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light weight, custom mini-survival manuals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'm going to mine you all for ideas. Since I can't remember everything and survial books can be heavy I thought of putting together some specialized, light weight mini-survival manuals. I picture these about 4x4 inches and maybe 20 pages. Something you could easily include in a bugout bag or even for a bugout belt. These would be customized for the area you expect to be.

My question is two fold. First, what information should I include and second, what should I use to make them?

Some preliminary ideas for content are.
1. Safe food sources in the area.
2. Plants to avoid.
3. Basic area map(s).
4. Common spanish phrases (or whatever unfamilar language you are likly to come across)
5. Diagrams of useful knots.
6. Something inspirational or entertaining for morale
What else could I include?

I plan to print this off the compter, so...
1. How could I bind the pages together?
2. How could I make it durable and/or waterproof it?

I was thinking of regular lamination and then stitching it together with fishing line.

At the very least I'd have extra fishing line and something to wipe with in an emergency...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

I really like this idea. Any Kinkos can bind these for you in as tight a way as you want. The binding wont be a problem but to get as much information as possible into a small form would be very helpful.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Hi there. You can look into Amazon's Createspace. This allows anyone to publish a book. You can download templates in Word, and put your info right into them. You have to make a cover, this can be done in GIMP (free) if you don't have Photoshop. Or you can use Amazon's Cover Builder tool which has basic designs and just type your title over them.

You set the price and get a discount when ordering for yourself, no quantity limits. The price for you is based on page numbers, and whether you are doing black and white or color on the inside. Very cheap. I have 2 books ranging between 120-144 pages and each of them only costs ME about $3 a copy. They are for sale on Amazon for $9.99 each and I make $3.78 when someone buys one.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I've been thinking about this for a long, long time now. I agree there is a need for books smaller than what's currently available but the amount of information to make one truly useful and comprehensive would be considerable. I would use small type to fit in more information and perhaps include a flat plastic magnifier that fits in a sleeve attached to the cover for those who have problems with small print.
Another factor is it would be great if it were waterproof since this book will be exposed to the elements.

Information I think would need including would be:
Survival priorities
Water - how to collect and purify
Shelter - how to create a weatherproof shelter using natural materials.
First Aid- treatment of cuts, burns, broken bones. sprains, eye injuries, food poisoning, heat stroke, hypothermia and frostbite.
Wild edible plants - list the most easily obtainable by season, how identify and prepare them.
Trapping techniques - rolling snare, fish trap and paiute deadfall.
Knots and cordage - how to create cordage with natural materials.
Emergency signalling

Those are the most critical things I can think of, there's always more that could be included but I would try to keep it as simple as possible.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I don't have any help as to what to put in it, but I would say something similar to below without fancy colors, make it smaller and laminate the pages. Easy to carry on a belt or BoB.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
S&F for you OP.
Thanks for sharing this great idea, I will use it.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

I don't have any help as to what to put in it, but I would say something similar to below without fancy colors, make it smaller and laminate the pages. Easy to carry on a belt or BoB.

I like this alternative to binding, with some thick lamination and a strong grommet it'll work great. Also I figure rounded corners will help with cutting down on wear & tear. I saw a grommet puncher tool for $5 the other day. Thanks!
edit on 2/16/2012 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
My favorite is one the Navy made for pilots.

On Amazon here

Probably could find a copy on abebooks.com for $15 or so and use it for good ideas.

Search of Abebooks.com here

Abebooks.com is a great place for old books. If they printed a lot then the cost is frequently $1 plus shipping.

edit on 16-2-2012 by kawika because: added link

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

www.aquaseal.com...

Check this out, it will solve your weather issue. Use to use on our marine charts and dive charts.

As to what to put into the guide. What is your skill level? It may be that all you need is some coordinates to your nearest caches. If you base your guide on the 7 priorities (PMA First Aid Shelter Fire Water Food Signal) you will cover all the bases.
On the other hand you may want to add basic lockpicking, maps of sewer systems, Diagram for hotwiring a old vehicle, Safe zones around the area to hold up, Military/UN signs (ie radioactive area, mines)

Best thing to do is to sit back and really evaluate what you are capable of and fill in the blanks. It may be that you need a field stripping guide for you weapon. Nice to know and if you dont practice some weapons can be a bear. It may be something as basic as putting an edge on a knife. Just think about what you need.

I would put a emphasis on medical. Especially in an urban environment. Everything can cause an infection!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I live near a university campus. The bookstore carries small versions of these for nursing students that are thin plastic pages. Use sharpies to fill in the pages. Creates a custom durable reference of your choice. Hmm, op thanks for the concept. Will have to get a couple of these little jobs and get crackin.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Brilliant idea, I'd b interested to see how it comes out, I have to say I am agreement with Amellia if you can use software already available with templates etc: why try to reinvent the wheel. I do think though that your idea about binding it with fishing is actually a genius thought. Like you say you will always have some spare line then.

Great

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

I like this alternative to binding, with some thick lamination and a strong grommet it'll work great. Also I figure rounded corners will help with cutting down on wear & tear. I saw a grommet puncher tool for $5 the other day. Thanks!
edit on 2/16/2012 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

Was thinking about this for a bit last night and the rounded edges got me to thinking a bit more....what about making it with all circular pages and instead of traditional writing on them straight across in a line you wrote around the circle in a spiral type of manner utilizing a lot more of the surface area front and back...granted it would be a bit harder to read, but you could also fit a lot more information in a much smaller space.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Spiral reading would be too difficult I think. Keep in mind that my purpose isn't to include a full survival manual, detailed maps and foreign language dictionary ... it's more like a cheat-sheet or crib notes.

- Very basic maps with major roads, water sources and trials of the specific area.
- Diagrams of the most useful knots.
- Pictures or illustrations and details of the safe to eat vegetation in the area.
- Pictures or illustrations and details of the dangerous vegetation in the area.
- General important first-aid details that you might forget during an emergency.
- A few key Spanish phrases ("Drop your weapons", "I want to trade", "I mean you no harm", "How much for the women?" etc).
- Maybe some names and occupations/skills/hobbies of local folks. Who knows how this info might come in handy? This would take some research, although someone might be suspicious of you if you have their name on a list...

top topics

join