It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed up with society as a whole and our economic system. Any advice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I'm in college studying computer science, and many times I look ahead and try and picture my future once I finish college. Well, it seems gloomy. The job market sucks and I'm at an immediate disadvantage because I'm fresh out of college and most jobs require experience. So I might have to work an unpaid internship a few years after college just to get the experience and get a paid job.

Another thing that bothers me is how a Bachelor's degree (what I am studying for) isn't worth much any more. Many jobs now "prefer" people with Master's degrees. 30 years ago people without diplomas were getting good jobs. 20 years ago, having a Bachelor's put you way far ahead on the job market. Today, a Master's degree is worth what a Bachelor's was worth 20 years ago. What's to say in 20 years, you won't need a PhD for a job? You know what's that called? That's called inflation, you have more degrees flooding the market and the value of a college degree goes down.

What frustrates me is that most people don't realize capitalism itself is a pyramid scheme.

Capitalism only works when there is sustained growth. When there is not growth, a "recession" or "depression" occurs. Obviously growth cannot happen forever, so capitalism itself is inherently unsustainable. And capitalism is a pyramid scheme. It can only support a certain amount at the top. The attitude today seems to be that if you work hard, you'll be wealthy. Well that's just not true. There will always be people who work hard yet are not wealthy. I truly pity these people. Lets say everyone made $400,000 a year. Well that's great except for the fact that because of supply & demand, bread would cost $200, gas would be $35 a gallon, and a new car would cost $200,000. The whole degree thing is just another perfect example over how capitalism is a pyramid scheme.

I'm just stressed out beyond belief. I'm pressuring myself very hard to get an A in every class, so I might look attractive to future employers. I'm at a community college, not because of grades, but to save money. As a result, I still have to look attractive for when I transfer to another school. I am also absolutely terrified of failing a class. I have nightmares at night over failing a class, about how that could wreck my chances of transferring or getting a good job.

I don't mean to ramble on, I'm just fed up with our society today. Our economic system and job system is a pyramid scheme and our governments don't care about their people. Yet, we all need a job but there are many more people needing jobs than jobs themselves. This means that unless things changed, there will always be unemployed who cannot find a job, yet need one. I'm technically part of the so-called "entitlement" generation, and yes I do feel entitled. So you're telling me that in society today, I have to work in order to survive and feed the family? Fine, that's ok if that's how you want to do it, but I expect a job.

Call me an idealist, but I just wish we could do away with the monetary system entirely. Money has to do with most of our issues today. I don't know what we would replace it with, but we need to find a new way of doing things. Nothing of what happens in our world is fair. There's an old saying "You don't reach enlightenment by climbing over people." I just think of our society today, one big bunch of ignorant fools trying to climb over each other to get to the top, but the top cannot support everyone. What do you all think and do you have any advice?
edit on 16-2-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Your interpretation of the paradigm is flawed and indicative of the brainwashing you have received over your lifetime. You are trapped in a "mental box" and do not understand that there is another viewpoint. We do not "all need a job". What do we all "need"? Food, water, air, shelter. How can you get those? Most of the time, we use "money". How do you get money? You get money by providing a useful/desirable good or service to exchange for it. In your "everybody needs a job" paradigm, you expect others to provide you the means to sustain yourself. Break those chains. Expand your mind. You can directly supply goods or services to others without having the ubiquitous "job". Learn a useful skill like auto repair, painting, carpentry, web design; whatever and market yourself directly to your target consumers. As you work for yourself, you will find that you have more time, less stress, and are overall happier. "Jobs" are for the herd. Break the nanny state, collectivist paradigm and be responsible for YOU.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
yes, I have some advice. Althouth I'm not in your boat, because i have a job, I truly can sympathize with you. Being a Student you have access to alot of GOV loan monies; Be Very Careful! Avoid these if you can. I always wished I had started my own buisness with the money, but oh well. Why not plan on being a student for the long term? so what's so bad with a phd, or several degrees for that matter. Most importantly...always remember...,no matter how messed up the world is, that the revolution is on the inside not the outside.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
While I don't agree with your view on free-market economics, I have been/currently am in a situation similar to yours and my advice is this: learn as much as you can about anything you can. I cannot stress how important education/knowledge is in initiating/creating opportunities, even when it's not intentional.

The more you know, the more you let go and allow things to fall where they may. So, I suppose my advice is this: educate yourself sick and develop perseverance/patience.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Your interpretation of the paradigm is flawed and indicative of the brainwashing you have received over your lifetime. You are trapped in a "mental box" and do not understand that there is another viewpoint.

It is not a fair shake to say that. We who live in western society have been shown and blown the 'American Dream' line our entire lives. We are told from the earliest age that we can make what we want out of our lives if we work hard to get a good education and then fall into a good 9-5 with a 401k, holidays off, and a healthy Christmas bonus. I understand that you could call this brainwashing, but I call it a false hope and it is not fair to conclude that anyone wanting to see that hope come to fruition is a brainwashed naive sheeple...

We do not "all need a job". What do we all "need"? Food, water, air, shelter. How can you get those? Most of the time, we use "money". How do you get money? You get money by providing a useful/desirable good or service to exchange for it. In your "everybody needs a job" paradigm, you expect others to provide you the means to sustain yourself.

How is getting a job and joining the workforce asking others to provide for you the means to sustain yourself
? See if you want to go the minimalist approach, you hit the hills, build an A-frame, grow a garden and live it Grizzly Adams style. Well its a nice poetic thought but considering that you need money to buy the land, which you will have to continue to pay property taxes on, money to attain basic goods like flour for cooking etc. etc. gunpowder for bullets to hunt, new axes and plows, livestock...it kinda adds up. Unless you are holistic in your skills which the majority of people are not, then that whole idea doesn't really work in practice anymore does it? See i always thought that the people expecting others to provide for them are the ones who really dont do anything but stand around with their hand out. Decidedly not the working class, regardless of the goods/services being produced by them.

Expand your mind. You can directly supply goods or services to others without having the ubiquitous "job". Learn a useful skill like auto repair, painting, carpentry, web design; whatever and market yourself directly to your target consumers.

So what you are saying is that we should all just bag education and go get a tech job making tires and fixing faucets? Well I completely agree that the world needs skilled technicians that we can all call on when the minor SHTF like all those wonderful modern amenities we know and love break down on us. It truly is those folks that make this world work and I for one am Very glad they are around and I pay them well when I need their services.

However, I am sorry to say but the world needs the other too. Artists, poets, philosophers...it is every bit as much in these arenas as the other that the human mind/culture has found its forward progress. The industrious upward swing to modern civilization can be traced to the very first emergence of mobile art and artistic conceptualization of our surroundings. It marks our shift from the cave. These things are absolutely as essential as the skilled workforce and i would argue that without them we would be just as bad off. I like the fact that we live in a world that doesn't mind paying them to keep our wheels upstairs turning through inspiration and their ability to also think around corners.

To be fair, I get what you are saying, that if we all knew a skill that provided a real world, tangible product we could then trade those services for other goods. The barter system. Its elegant, simplistic and in most cases totally functional but its just not that simple. Never forget that it takes all kinds.

As you work for yourself, you will find that you have more time, less stress, and are overall happier. "Jobs" are for the herd. Break the nanny state, collectivist paradigm and be responsible for YOU.

This sounds to me to be just what the OP is trying to do. The younger generations are finding it harder and harder to make this stuff happen. I fear for what my own children will face when they get to that age. I have another piece of advice to add as a caveat: Keep at it! But don't do it just for financial self sustainability, do it for yourself. You'll thank yourself later if only for having had the opportunity. It is not our jobs or lifestyles that come from our education, its our ability to think critically about the world we live in. Don't stress
things often have a tendency to fall into place if you just believe in yourself.
edit on 16-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Your interpretation of the paradigm is flawed and indicative of the brainwashing you have received over your lifetime. You are trapped in a "mental box" and do not understand that there is another viewpoint. We do not "all need a job". What do we all "need"? Food, water, air, shelter. How can you get those? Most of the time, we use "money". How do you get money? You get money by providing a useful/desirable good or service to exchange for it. In your "everybody needs a job" paradigm, you expect others to provide you the means to sustain yourself. Break those chains. Expand your mind. You can directly supply goods or services to others without having the ubiquitous "job". Learn a useful skill like auto repair, painting, carpentry, web design; whatever and market yourself directly to your target consumers. As you work for yourself, you will find that you have more time, less stress, and are overall happier. "Jobs" are for the herd. Break the nanny state, collectivist paradigm and be responsible for YOU.

Great point. Yeah, if you want to be a corporate sheep, sure, go get a job working for a big corporation. After 5 to 7 years, they let you go without even a big thank you. For the OP, just go finish your degree and don't think too much about your future. It seems like you are weighted down by some very big negative thought processes. I am not sure what years you are into your major but if it is still too early, maybe you can switch your major. Please, stay away from Liberal Arts. LOL Fortunately, I didn't bet too much of my life on this worthless degree other than some student loan debts. However, I have acquired what I was intended to do in this life regardless. FYI, try to find jobs oversea if that's possible....

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Call me an idealist, but I just wish we could do away with the monetary system entirely. Money has to do with most of our issues today. I don't know what we would replace it with, but we need to find a new way of doing things. Nothing of what happens in our world is fair. There's an old saying "You don't reach enlightenment by climbing over people." I just think of our society today, one big bunch of ignorant fools trying to climb over each other to get to the top, but the top cannot support everyone. What do you all think and do you have any advice?
edit on 16-2-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

(Most) human beings instinctively seek social power/status. Money would just be replaced with something else symbolic of wealth. Society has always been about survival and doing what is necessary to get to the 'top' (social power/status). This isn't a new phenomena and should be considered natural behavior for our species. Although many are depressed over the current systems and wish for 'change', any change would almost certainly be more of the same and would start the whole process over again. We have never and will never live in a society where everyone is valued equally. There will always be the 'beautiful' (prime breeders), the powerful personas/leaders/rich (socially dominant)...etc. I believe history shows us that when societies experience collective depression over their cultural environments that this is usually indicative of an uprising in war/violence in our species. Maybe that's why we get depressed. We instinctively know what's coming.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

Yeah, the collective depressing state of our American society.....whose fault is it? Is this a collective phenomena? No kidding, I need to get the hell out quick....

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Nobody has to be a slave to the system. Don't be a slave to consumerism. Stuff only makes you happy temporarily. A minimalist lifestyle is the way to go. Avoid debt as it is a trap and digs you deeper into the system "they" want. You don't have to have a perfect credit rating to get what you need. Don't let "society" tell you how to live your life. Do what you want and not what others "expect" of you. Think hard about having kids because the system uses them to tie you down- kids need things the system makes more affordable, like insurance.

You're at the perfect point in your life to make it what you want it to be. The toughest part is deciding what is the most important to you.

And now for a good George Carlin rant...

edit on 16-2-2012 by colbyforce because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2012 by colbyforce because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
relax and enjoy what you have because it wont be this way too much longer, i mean hey, how long can a dilapidated old house continue to stand.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

We all fed up.

It's like when you are getting fired, looking at your desk where you have sat all those years doing your thing, knowing this is the last look.

Then look at a collegue, he got the same thought, then smile, go outside and see the sun shining.

Enjoy your day.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Being scared to get bad grades is a good thing: you will get your best grades. Life isn't all about what happens in the world, what you choose to do is just as important to your future. I do not mean live for today, because you will most probably live a long time, long enough to regret having a live for today attitude. Looking for the perfect opportunity leads you to no opportunity. We are all making it up as we go along. Also don't accept advice like mine without thinking about it first: if it seems like crap forget it. You do not get a say in what times you are born into: in Britain some people were born in the 100 years war (actually lasted 114 years). The world won't change just because you want it to. We are all really in the same #.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Textreply to post by mossme89

up
Let me let you on a secret, we live in a version of communism called corpratism.

Everything in the greater good of the Corporation. Our money that they take out of our paychecks

goes to warehousing the crimnals of the world and to support polticians and their idot families habits.

It is sad but true, it causes an average of 65k a year per inmate to kept locked and if they are here

illegally when they get out they can file paper work which allow them up to additional 70k per

year. Then, they past 3 Presidents have pocketed combined 1.8 billion in gold and assets taken from

sezied property from governments they have had conflicts with.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

exactly, I quit my "job" 6 years ago and began working for myself. I may not have ended up doing exactly what I thought I would, but now we spend our days learning to live off the land and depend less & less on the grocery stores. what we produce on the farm is far better than what we buy at a big store & our kids are growing up without the "brainwashing" and junk gmo crap.
edit on 16-2-2012 by BaZooKaJ because: oh and forgot to mention about the fed up with society bit, we moved to a small island with 300 pop on a holiday.....people are gem's & everyone we meet or bump into is important, we all wave when we see each other. You don't get this in a city or even towns noadays...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
OP I feel like this everyday I wake up and it's one of the most painful things in the world. The real me doesn't want a 9-5. The real me doesn't want to go about my daily life ignoring the chaos in the outside world. The real me wants to fight back. The real me doesn't want to be what people want me to be. But conformity is everywhere.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but I don't see a pleasant life for myself in the future and it's not by my doing. And when you talk to somebody about this stuff, they think you're crazy... I have to applaud TPTB, they have created an inescapable system.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Sounds like you’re stuck in a rut my friend. Happens to the best of us. The first trick is just don't stress. It's not worth it and I myself quite frankly would rather chill and get Cs than stress and get As. Once you've got your first job, no matter how crappy it is then all your hardwork getting good grades won't mean a thing. Employers will look at what experience you have.

If you you're really over society do what i did for a while and just leave it all behind.

Pack a bag with a few changes of clothes, grab a sleeping bag and take out all your money and jump on the next bus outta there. Where have you always wanted to go? What's holding you back? If friends and family are holding you back then just think - they'd much rather you travelling and seeing the world than dead. Money? You don't need money, you can sleep anywhere, food is no problem - supermarkets and restaurants throw so much relatively fresh food away that it is never a problem. Just google 'dumpster diving'.

You will see things you never even dreamed of. The worst of the worst will make you realise how much your life really doesn’t suck. And the best of the best will make you realise how lucky you are in fact to be alive.

I travelled around Australia like this for quite a while and it was the best thing I have ever done, one of the smartest girls I know is doing this around the U.K. as we speak. At first you may think “This is crazy", especially on your first few nights til your soft-ass body gets used to sleeping on hard ground, and the temptation will be to run back to the security of your comfortable little rut. But not only does it do wonders for your back, but you get used to it very soon and slowly your eyes will open to the true beauty inherent in all things. Make certain to visit some places of natural wonder on your travels. And don’t come back til you’ve found your own truth and figured out what you really want in life. When you know that it all becomes very easy and doors you never imagined will open for you.

Failing that go on a working holiday to Australia. We've got record employment here at the moment and need new workers.

Best of luck man.....

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
First Id like to ask, where have you been?

Next for your advice, Id like to say get in line the back is way back there somewhere... (pointing to oblivion)

And the line wont really help, its just us waiting here to be told, or shown what we have to deal with next... Oh ya and shut up and like it...

top topics

join