It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous to shut-down the net on March 31?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Shutting down the Internet would be similar to draining all sources of water on the Earth. There isn't some magic button anyone can press to turn it off. Entire companies and governments have invested heavily into disaster telecommunications planning. Unless they coordinate this with a physical attack (which I doubt) then the damage from this will be insignificant. The best way to theoretically do the most damage to the Internet for a brief time would be an attack on the central connection nodes. If you had a lot of money, manpower, and time, you could target these nodes with explosives aimed at their power grid and any other self sufficient security systems they have. The Internet might have a broken back as a result, but you couldn't pull it off without someone snitching to Federal agents and blowing the whole operation. Another option would be to pull off a sophisticated Distributed Denial of Service attack followed with the release of a hyper-worm. But you have the same problem of someone leaking operational intelligence to a government department. The Internet is simply too big and well protected to be shut down.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

This is ridiculous. First off this isn't the kind of protest ANON would actually get behind. They would have ripped whoever proposed this to shreds. They wouldn't get behind this. Second.. it wouldn't be possible.

So if the net goes down.. don't be looking to blame ANON. It wasn't them. At least not the ANON you have become familiar with.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Nothin but terrorist... How can they not find who these lames are? With all the technology we got, put it to use, track them down, and hang them on LIVE tv...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
In my opinion, if the internet does actually go down, then that would be proof that the government has an enormous influence in anonymous. And this "DNS server attack" would be a successful test of the internet kill switch that America so desperately wants its crooked little finger on.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sine.nomine

A DNS server attack would be akin to removing street signs. You can still get to somebodies house if you know the way. If they attacked the Domain Name Service it would be similar to going back in time to the late 80s. Only really tech-savvy people would be able to effectively use the Internet.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Reply to post by questforevidence

I'm aware of that. I'm just saying there's little chance of them pulling it off. But seeing how the stated goal is so similar to the internet kill switch we've been hearing about, then if successful there should be some red flags going up.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Thats stupidly absurd. You CANNOT shut the Internet down. In Hundreds of countries with millions of sites and ISPS world wide? Nope. Impossible.

Now. You CAN shut down some providers in some countries and locations...but the "INTERNET" is not in any one place...to be shut down. Its a planet-wide web of connections.

Do we think there is a "single light switch" somewhere in the world controling every single language, site, country and provider?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
well i know people have already pointed out... this is soo stupid...

Like i am Anon and next week i will turn off the moon....

i feel i should make equally stupid statements...

infact i will get everyone to run there water at once in the UK and that shall use alll the water in the UK at once hahahaha that'll teach them...

Anon need a press guy to revue stupid statements... and MSM should be slapped for reporting such tripe... the internet isnt somthing you can actually shut down.. i now have a heache thinking about how stupid a statement this is

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Thats stupidly absurd. You CANNOT shut the Internet down. In Hundreds of countries with millions of sites and ISPS world wide? Nope. Impossible.

Now. You CAN shut down some providers in some countries and locations...but the "INTERNET" is not in any one place...to be shut down. Its a planet-wide web of connections.

Do we think there is a "single light switch" somewhere in the world controling every single language, site, country and provider?

Exactly... terrible reporting followed by outlandish Anon claims...

the MSM and most idiots online think its like the southpark episode with some kinda Mega-router in a cave somewhere!

GogoVicMorrow

To continue on your chain of though... if Anon shut down the internet (using technology magic or whatever) how could they co-ordinate there attacks or let eachother know its worked.. the internet would be down, it would be counter productive...

soooo stupid
edit on 16-2-2012 by GonzoSinister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It is what it is , a boogie man with no face to blame,a scapegoat to further a cause,when will people start believing every thing they see in the news is BS media is the elites best tool, soon many people believe anything the tube spits at them but can't read between the lines.... We are in serious crap

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I don't think Anonymous can do it...

But the government sure as hell could shut it down and blame it on Anonymous to have unlimited political capital to put whatever law they want on the books.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Yawn.. it's an obvious troll by Anonymous. For starters, the 13 root servers are not literally "13 computers". It's 13 clusters of computers, on crazy large backbones. You'd be able to take down maybe 1 or 2 clusters, but it will have an almost negligible effect on the internet.

If I remember right there was a massive DDoS attempt a few years ago (huge botnet of tens of thousands of machines)...3 root servers fell over, the other 10 started responding marginally slower than normal and the internet continued to function, business as usual.

To completely bring the entire internet down, you need the root servers to be down for 24hrs. By that time 99% of all DNS servers would have refreshed their cache and lost their hostname ip translations. It would have to be a physical attack for them to stay down for that long, which means a co-ordinated physical strike at 13 high security locations spread across the globe...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
If they shut down the internet it would be no different than the government doing it, don't attack civilians. If they want to be commended then they should shut down government websites/access if that is indeed their target.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Let them.

I'll get some housework done then

You do realize that the internet right now is a major means of feeding the truth to others worldwide? The media sure as hell isnt going to do it. In my opinion, this is a bad move for Anonymous, it may even work against them. They obviously have a follow-up plan to this or a purpose for this. I am assuming it is to shut out all of the false info the CIA or Government has been pushing out to people over the web, but still. They would have to take control of the Web in it's entirety in order to get out their message and nobody else's. We shall see.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Doubt this will happen, but it will be interesting to watch. People have been trying to shut down the "Teragrid" (the 13 servers) for years. In case anyone out there cares, there are now more than 13 main servers, so not too sure where this article is coming from...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Get ready for mass suicide's from the followers of the facebook cult

On a serious note, you simply cannot shut down the internet, crashing dns root servers is one thing and has been tried before, although once that's gone people will still be able to access all websites that have been stored by their dns cache. If it really were to happen at some point people would just exchange ip addresses for popular websites just as people do with phone numbers. The only way to really "knock down" the internet is to blow up the worldwide powergrid and blot out the sun.

This isn't something anonymous goes by as this would be a form of complete censorship. Besides the main mouthpieces for anonymous on various websites, blogs and onion TLD's have stated they have nothing to do with this "announcement". It is just like the "facebook blackout" a few weeks ago.

Common sense people, who tells their enemy when and how they are going to attack? If anonymous was really going to pull this off, you wouldn't hear about it until it hit you in the face as it happened.

Anyone can be anonymous, that's the point of it. However the movement shares a common interest and does not go along with threats like this. It's rather easy to spot which "groups" within anonymous are true to their cause by hearing their methods.

TLDR;
The good guys are the ones knocking down oppressive government websites and fighting for freedom of speech and expression.

The bad guys are script kiddys making over-the-top "announcements" such as knocking the internet offline

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
obviously anon controls the sun spots and they plan to loose a massive one aimed at our entire electrical grid that day - cry havoc and let loose the sun spots of war

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GonzoSinister

Thank you friend. Agreed.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
As long as it's on a day I don't have homework. Or, I will hunt him down.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

This is pointless. Sites such as google have multiple points of failover that means it may cause a problem for the companies targeted internall but would not effect thier presence.

Albeit a slower presence due to reduced bandwidth.

Only way to shut down web is to take out icann....

Korg.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join