It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous to shut-down the net on March 31?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Anonymous to shut-down the net on March 31?

www.pcadvisor.co.uk

According to a statement, which the group posted on Pastebin earlier this week, it plans to attack 13 DNS servers that ensure URLs such as google.co.uk are translated into the IP addresses that host these websites.

"To protest SOPA, Wallstreet, our irresponsible leaders and the beloved bankers who are starving the world for their own selfish needs out of sheer sadistic fun, On March 31, anonymous will shut the internet down," the group said in the statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Just saw it on a german Newspaper website and did a ATS search. Found no thread about it.

I suppose they want to get attention for the message with that attack. Shortly before Christmas I found an old folder from my technician school-times. I looked through it and I read a sidenote on paper about DNS, that after the Attacks on 9/11 the US Government setup backup DNS Root servers.

I added one and one and was about to start harvesting informations but over the holidays I forgot about it. Now I´m into it again and a second thread with loads of information about root servers, anonymous, US government etc will follow soon.

sorry for my bad grammar

www.pcadvisor.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16-2-2012 by verschickter because: spelling

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Let them.

I'll get some housework done then

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Here some other news sources:

www.forbes.com...
memeburn.com...
www.circleid.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

Hm, they are going to DDoS every server that every ISP owns?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This is probably the most likely situation, from the Forbes source:

Or far more likely, six weeks and one day from today, the hackers will announce via a very-much-still-working Internet that it was all a highly provocative April Fool’s joke, another example of the dare-you-to-react trolling that Anonymous has refined to an art form.

Forbes

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

no, only the 13 root dns servers. You still can connect to any server but you have to know the IP adress. Your browser, for example will not be able to resolve the IP adress from the hostname "ats.com".
edit on 16-2-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

Domain Name System
edit on 16-2-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
They want to crash top level DNS servers. It's been attempted before and i would be really surprise if they pull this out.

By crashing TLD DNS servers, that means that whenever you type an address, it won't get resolved to an IP address. The internet would still kinda work, you'd just hve to remember the IP address instead of the domain name.

link   
They want to crash top level DNS servers. It's been attempted before and i would be really surprise if they pull this out.

By crashing TLD DNS servers, that means that whenever you type an address, it won't get resolved to an IP address. The internet would still kinda work, you'd just hve to remember the IP address instead of the domain name.

link   
double post.
edit on 17-2-2012 by asala because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I might finally be able to go out and wash the car... That won't be such a bad thing!

On a serious note, if Anon shuts down the leisure side of the internet, and doesn't accidentally screw up things like the transfer of medical records and such, I will applaud. As a matter of fact, I HOPE it happens!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Criminals. Should be throw in jail and all computers taken away.

link   
Another intersting blurb from the Forbes article, on why it will not work:

Moreover, there are actually many more than 13 physical servers acting as the DNS root system. A load-balancing system called Anycast means that as many as thousands of computers share the load of those servers. Taking them all out will be extremely difficult, says Graham. And since most DNS servers cache the information they receive from the root servers for as long as a day, the root servers would have to be kept offline for many hours to have any effect on users.

So they really have to take out 1000's and keep them down for the entire cache period for any attack t be widely effective.
edit on 16-2-2012 by youdidntseeme because: bbcode

link   
Id laught if Annonymous was really government officials hahahah...

in the mean time.. good at least it will be after St. Paddys day so I can troll the www for a chick to drink with that day!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MattNC

Can you provide a reason why you would have them arrested?

You know throughout history, the people who brought about positive change were always called "criminals".

*que Rosa Parks story*

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

You know throughout history, the people who brought about positive change were always called "criminals".

*que Rosa Parks story*

So are you agreeing that they are criminals and should face the consequences of criminal activity so they can bring about positive change?

Or that they are not criminals, should not face the consequences and not make positive change?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

Originally posted by MattNC

*que Rosa Parks story*

Dam Str8.. at least someone out there is doing something to try to convey a msg. Unlike most people who sit at
I applaud Annonymous. They aren't criminals they are trying to change they way people think and live for once. Unlike all sheepal in the country who think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this country. Makes me sick at the fact of how nieve people are out there.. they have no clue whats is about to take place in this country and i just hope for their sake they havent burned any bridges because there wont be many to cross.

Annymous I say do it now!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Honestly if they do actually do it, I'd suggest waiting until a specific date

Anyone wanna guess??

**spoiler alert**

They should wait until 4/04.....

get it?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Oh nos - what shall I do for 12 hours
a day

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
What about people like me who make their living online?

Do I have a say? Because to me if "Anonymous"...."shut down the Internet" then "Anonymous" ain't cool.

And who the F is "Anonymous" anyways? Since they're Anonymous how can anyone vet them?

Screw "Anonymous". I don't know them. They could be anything from a bunch of kids to government spooks.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join