It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SYRIA to vote for new constitution on Feb. 26

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
What will the new constitution include?

Syrian state television said the new constitution would allow the “people to govern the people” under a new multi-party democratic system.

It said that under the proposed text, freedom is “a sacred right” and that any violation of personal freedom is considered a crime punishable by law.

english.alarabiya.net...

What else should we know about this new constitution being voted on?

Syrian state television said on Wednesday that parliamentary elections will be held 90 days after the referendum as part of promised political reforms ostensibly aimed at placating protesters. The new constitution will allow for a multi-party system, ending the Baath Party's near 50-year monopoly on Syrian politics. The proposed constitution, which will be put to a vote on February 26, does away with Article 8 of the old charter which declared the Baath Party, in power since 1963, as the "leader of the state and society." The draft constitution says any new parties cannot be based on a religion, profession, or regional interests. This clause would prevent the establishment of Islamist parties such as the Muslim Brotherhood, a major opposition actor in the current crisis.

What does the Syrian Expatriates Organization (SEO) have to say about it?

Dr Mazen Hassan, SEO founder said," The proposed amendments in the Syrian constitution have been sought by Syrian opposition activists long before the uprising began in mid-March 2011. For instance, past attempts to introduce a multiparty system and challenge the longstanding Baath political party's rule have been met with repeated rejection throughout the years.

Further concern is caused by the proposed Article 85, which sets the presidential tenure at seven years, yet is seemingly renewable without limitation. In addition, Article 91 gives the president immunity before a court of law."

Dr. Mazen Hassan, SEO founder, furthermore stated, "We reject Assad's call for a national referendum on the draft constitution; we think this step is just a desperate attempt by the regime to regain its lost legitimacy. Our demand is for Assad to step down, which directly discredits him from constitutional changes and any other reforms."

www.sfgate.com.../g/a/2012/02/16/prweb9202575.DTL

Is this real change and reform?

Beirut-based historian and political analyst, Fawwaz Traboulsi, says the new constitution means little as it does not limit presidential powers, and gives Syrian President Bashar Assad the option to remain in power for another 16 years. "Nothing has changed, this is a presidential semi-dictatorial system consecrated in the constitution; unlimited power to the president of the republic. In that sense, there is no real reform," he said. Traboulsi dismissed the significance of removing Article 8, as it was not the source of "unlimited executive dictatorial power." Without a significant increase in parliamentary power, the mechanics of a dictatorship would remain, he added. "Nothing has seriously changed, meaning the key shift to a parliamentary regime, if the president is the one who still appoints the cabinet and can dismiss the cabinet individually and collectively," Traboulsi said.

english.al-akhbar.com...

Will we see the opposition boycott the referendum? Will we see an increase in violence from Syria?

Looking forward to watching what kind of an impact this might have on the situation, if any.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
So should the protesters put down their weapons (I still find it hard to understand how armed protestors are not insurgents) and get out of the towns they hold so that they are still alive so they can vote this constitution in and get the democracy they seem to be fighting for.

Or, is the west being missled by intelligent men who want to use politics to cover a religous dispute.
It is really a Sunni Shiite thing isn't it?
I would really like a massive "hell no" of replys to that statement...but I wonder?
edit on 17-2-2012 by
edit on 17-2-2012 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Dr. Mazen Hassan, SEO founder, furthermore stated, "We reject Assad's call for a national referendum on the draft constitution; we think this step is just a desperate attempt by the regime to regain its lost legitimacy. Our demand is for Assad to step down, which directly discredits him from constitutional changes and any other reforms."

Ok Dr. Mazen Hassan if you don't want Assad who do you want to Run Over Syria? Sen John McCain?
i mean seriously what is up with these western paid opposition parties? and leaders? just who do they want to run there country? the Muslim Brotherhood? or better yet a western puppet?
edit on 18-2-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom
So should the protesters put down their weapons (I still find it hard to understand how armed protestors are not insurgents) and get out of the towns they hold so that they are still alive so they can vote this constitution in and get the democracy they seem to be fighting for.

Or, is the west being missled by intelligent men who want to use politics to cover a religous dispute.
It is really a Sunni Shiite thing isn't it?
I would really like a massive "hell no" of replys to that statement...but I wonder?
edit on 17-2-2012 by
edit on 17-2-2012 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: (no reason given)

Yes, it really is just another battle between Sunnis and Shiites with a tyrannical ruler.

Syria is 2/3 Sunni and is run by a Shia government.

As stated in my original post, it looks like the citizens of Syria had asked for reform and changes to the constitution years before the violence started breaking out in March 2011, to no avail. They felt that pushing Assad out was the only way, since he never listened to them before.

Notice how the government started cracking down the day after the visit from Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov. I have no doubt that he didn't go over there to tell Assad to seek peace, but to step up his campaign of violence to end it as soon as possible. That's when all of the Sunni terrorists started showing up out of the woodwork to join in. Russia has too much invested in Syria and Iran to allow a bunch of Sunnis (and especially the terrorists) to take over the entire region.
edit on 18-2-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

If things get too bad,Russia can test its biological weapons against the GCC.It will be good riddance from Wahabbi Vermin.If NATO dares to attack Russia then Russia can nuke and use bioweapons and its secret black budget weapons like torsion/scalar,red mercury, underground cities and massive civil defence.It will be good riddance from the anglo-saxon vermin also.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

The Joke that Syria will become will be just like the Joke of democracy that Iraq and Afghanistan has become, all rule by extremist Islam.

That is what liberation fueled by western forces does to countries in the Middle east, because is never and will never be about freedoms.

What a joke, democracy my big Latino rear end.

No Even America has a democracy we are officially a corporate dictatorship.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I don't buy it about no religious affiliations in those parties. how many arab atheists do you know? I don't know any.

The 7 year presidential term i do find interesting. Seven whole whopping years. The significance of that number isn't being lost on me. Memories of Damascus becoming a ruinous heap are echoing in my mind.

I doubt the muslim brotherhood is going to pass up a chance to take down and control Syria, not when theyre this close to re-establishing the Ottoman Empire. We shall see.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas

If things get too bad,Russia can test its biological weapons against the GCC.It will be good riddance from Wahabbi Vermin.If NATO dares to attack Russia then Russia can nuke and use bioweapons and its secret black budget weapons like torsion/scalar,red mercury, underground cities and massive civil defence.It will be good riddance from the anglo-saxon vermin also.

Well aren't you a bucket of sunshine
. Youre practically foaming at the mouth for WW3. Russia is 1 country. Even if NATo did attack Russia, there's alot of countries in NATO that have nukes, unless Russia wanted to be removed from the map for the next 20,000 years they better keep their weapons of mass distraction offline.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Quite cleary the fact that

any new parties cannot be based on a religion, profession, or regional interests.

Will eliminate most parties from running. Firstly Islamists parties would be rejected, thus the Brotherhood wouldn't be able to run. Secondly this clause rejecting any parties with "regional interests" is so broad that I predict the regime would likely use it as an excuse to reject any serious party that poses any serious challenge to their power. In other words, I think it will change absolutely nothing.

Furthermore

Further concern is caused by the proposed Article 85, which sets the presidential tenure at seven years, yet is seemingly renewable without limitation. In addition, Article 91 gives the president immunity before a court of law."

This seems like a clause designed to keep Assad and the Baath regime in power.

No limits on Presidential power either? This referendum is a joke.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
"'Sham' Syrian constitution vote wins 89.4 per cent approval"

The new constitution that could keep Mr Assad in power until 2028 was condemned by world leaders as a "sham".

"The referendum in Syria is nothing more than a farce," said Guido Westerwelle, the German foreign minister.

"Sham votes cannot be a contribution to a resolution of the crisis. Assad must finally end the violence and clear the way for a political transition."

Turnout in the referendum was 57.4 percent, state television said.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Now that the constitution referendum has won approval, the regime has 90 days to prepare for their election.

If the Ba'ath Party remains in power, we know for sure it was a farce and I can't even imagine the amount of violence that will take place at that point.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join