It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police 'Tank' Purchase Riles New Hampshire Town

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by Biigs

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

What rolls through walls
busts through halls
Rolls over your neighbors dog

Its Tank
Its Tank...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.
That wasn't a total waste. I'd be among the 0.01% of the population who laughed at that obscure reference to "Log".

You weren't the only one. I LOLed. Then again, I used to own a cat named Stimpy.

As for the tank...I present to the court Exhibit A.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yep GJ America, you paid for it and let it happen.

Anyone else want a new lethal toy while we are at it? Maybe there is a small town bathroom somewhere with some kids smoking. An armored truck could come in handy for carrying their dead bodies back to their mother.
edit on 16-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Nothing to see here, just the military industrial complex finding new customers.

Don't worry that your tax dollars are paying to place armored cars all over the country, your money is pretty much useless anyway.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I have a headache, forgive i didnt read every post.....
My take?
Have many here ever heard of the term pre positioning?
The practice works like this....
years down the road, country x thinks country y will become a natural enemy of country x.....over time...
So they pick a nearby handy stable country and warehouse the equipment and munitions ahead of time.....
If Like the war with Iran, Tierra Del Fuego is an island thats british, stuck in the indian ocean, and has a whole pile of stored war materiel that the US pre positioned in case of a future need there.....
This armoured car is now in safe hands supposedly, that will polish and cherish it, until some future date when the little town and the area around it may be having civil strife....or perhaps some god fearing commune may need burning out again....
The DHS thus has a prepositioned tank stashed likely in every town they grant.....

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Every five 'tanks' comes with a free guillotine.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I have a few ideas on how that money could be better spent. Like replacing the mayor and police chief with someone who's not a complete moron.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
What a waste. But it is nice to know that if I get an extra 286,000 bucks I can buy a armored vehicle. Seriously though, complete waste of money. That's 5-8 good jobs for a year.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

It's not a tank, it's an Armoured Personnel Carrier. Very big difference between the two.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by Manhater

It's not a tank, it's an Armoured Personnel Carrier. Very big difference between the two.

Yet still equally absurd...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

I'm not sure how the funding works in this case, but where I'm from, if a police department, fire department or whatever gets funding and doesn't use it, they lose all future funding from that source. It doesn't matter if they actually NEED it or not. They are free to use it on whatever they want, no matter how useless, as long as it can be said to benefit the department. If this is the case, I think this dude just wants a very expensive, new toy that just so happens to be available on the governments dime. If so, he'll be wanting to play with it at any given opportunity and that could get ugly real fast. I'm sure it had absolutely nothing to do with the good of the people, safety or whatever. Just a high dollar toy to use and abuse.

edit on 2/16/2012 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

Good catch. When I was in the military stationed in Korea, money would come down BUT you could only use it on certain things or you would lose the money

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
One of the real tragedies of municipal funding is just how often the purchases they make are based upon matching funds given from some higher government at the expense of their actual municipal needs.

It's like someone who buys crap on sale just because it is cheap even though they don't need it.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It looks so naked without the Maw Deuce. These things are pretty bad for a non-military tactical vehicle, they're no MaxxPRO but they can get smokin quick. When these guys start showing up at road blocks, safety patrols, or anything shy of repelling an invading force my hindside is getting up in the trees. Imagine getting pulled over by one of these. Makes me think Total Recall even.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The police didn't purchase the vehicle, it was a gift from the dept.of homeland security, in other words WE bought it with our tax dollars. Since I am part owner I'm gonna ask to borrow it Saturday night.
I'm getting a little tired of working my ass off to pay for bombs, bullets and surveillance equipment that could potentially used on US citizens. There are cameras at pretty much every major intersection in my town (one of the safest in the country) and police cars are starting to look like space ships with twenty antennas, multiple cameras and weird black boxes bolted to the trunk.
I for one don't want the police to have these weapons since they are only being used in US cities. The police don't like being filmed, and if you whip out your camera phone in front of them, it won't turn out well for you. In such a case one should yell out "how do YOU like it?".
One can almost feel the tension in the air increasing as police and the public become more paranoid about each other and all this new equipment is just adding logs to the fire.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This better be a joke if anything put something like that in Philly where theres been something like 32 murders in 26 days. Even still the motion that something like that is needed is absurd. They are police not military and shouldn't act as such. The only thing it does is bloat their already huge ego. What happened to getting to know citizens where everybody knew each other by name, instead everybodys automatically assumed a criminal. They probably wanna cruise this thing down main street just so everybody S**** themselves and they can feel special.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
First comes the oooohs and aaaaahs, then comes the screaming and the running.

I'm not really worried about an APC unless they decide to put a 50 cal. ontop of it or mounted grenade launchers. They aren't the first town to ever buy a APC and they won't be the last. My only concern is things always starts small which is how "they" test the waters to see how much the public is willing to let them get away with.

I think it's safe to say we can all see martial law coming in the near future, for one reason or another so don't let it be a surprise to you when it happens. Just smile and wave until it comes time for you to go to FEMA camp and face the guillotine for refusing to accept their biometric chips
. I'm kidding ofcourse but you never know, it could be true at some point.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Who pays the insurance, upkeep, training and maintenance? Won't they have to have a fully enclosed/barricaded facility to accentuate their callous disregard to a recession? No need feeding the hungry. Let them watch the exotic SUV drive in parades with LEOs dressed like Rambo.

This is similar to painting one side of a rock, then, once dried, painting the other side. Pretty rocks.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Havnt read all the posts but this is ridiculous...all I can hear in my mind now is "terror, terrorism, terrorist".
Q.. how many terrorist attacks have happened in the US in the last 10yrs.......my guess 0...
If I were one of the locals I would be pissed..Many far better uses for the money..

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
$280,000+ JUST for the purchase...and haven't I heard Vets talk about the mileage on these being measured more by Gallons to the Mile than Miles to the Gallon? I can only imagine the operating costs..and for WHAT exactly??

Oh I get the real reason....You have some big children with badges and a few in political office there that just HAVE to feel big and bad with a mini-tank, since Homeland is just about giving them away these days...but c'mon. Is their little town SO well off that such funds couldn't be put to use in far better ways?

No Homeless in town?
Schools all have the very latest text books and computer gear?
The town's roads are well maintained and pot hole free?
Employment is high and all is well on the local economic front?

If ANY of those things isn't a resounding YES, then a few people here need fired to my way of thinking. Priorities....and just what use will the taxpayers get out of this monstrosity unless they are the target of it some day? I'll bet those citizens would prefer it not be there....but I'll just wager EVERYONE ELSE would agree with skipping on the stupid quarter million dollar tank!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Back in the 1963 Birmingham Movement "Bull" Connor used to drive around in a white tank to intimidate the black protesters. A very strange man. So these characters think getting their own tank is a feather in their cap? The history of city-owned tanks is forever linked to "Bull" Connor, and even some of the police and public officials in this town must question the sanity of their leaders.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I would say having the $285,000 in a bank account would be more useful to a PD. Maybe they could sell it and pocket the money.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join