It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police 'Tank' Purchase Riles New Hampshire Town

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Police 'Tank' Purchase Riles New Hampshire Town

www.huffingtonpost.com

"We're going to have our own tank."

That's what Keene, N.H., Mayor Kendall Lane whispered to Councilman Mitch Greenwood during a December city council meeting.

It's not quite a tank. But the quaint town of 23,000 -- scene of just two murders since 1999 -- had just accepted a $285,933 grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to purchase a Bearcat, an eight-ton armored personnel vehicle made by Lenco Industries Inc.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
And here is a kicker from the article that couldn't make it in the snippet

"Jim Massery, the government sales manager for Pittsfield, Mass.-based Lenco, dismissed critics who wonder why a town with almost no crime would need a $300,000 armored truck. "I don't think there's any place in the country where you can say, 'That isn't a likely terrorist target,'" Massery said. "How would you know? We don' t know what the terrorists are thinking. No one predicted that terrorists would take over airplanes on Sept. 11. If a group of terrorists decide to shoot up a shopping mall in a town like Keene, wouldn't you rather be prepared?""

Yes that is right everyone, the terrorists are going to come to quaint towns and start shooting up everyone. A chicken in every pot and a tank for every local podunk sherrif. This is the new America, where we are safe and free to do as the government tells us.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/16/2012 by FSBlueApocalypse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I really hate the "be prepared" angle when talking about large militry or police expenditures.

Kind of reminds me of a clip from family guy, the salesman selling volcano insurance. Peter asks him why he would need volcano insurnce since theres never been one before, the salesman replies "well dont you think its about due" - peter lets him in and purchases the insurance.

Theres being prepared, and plain excessive worrying. This is clearly the latter.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

had just accepted a $285,933 grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Homeland Security gives out grants now? That is such random hogwash!

$285,933 dollars? for a damn car? WTF? I'm sure the town could use that money for something a little more beneficial to their townsmen.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
I really hate the "be prepared" angle when talking about large militry or police expenditures.

Kind of reminds me of a clip from family guy, the salesman selling volcano insurance. Peter asks him why he would need volcano insurnce since theres never been one before, the salesman replies "well dont you think its about due" - peter lets him in and purchases the insurance.

Theres being prepared, and plain excessive worrying. This is clearly the latter.

Yes, It it preparedness for the police state. I'm sure more truck and troops will trickle down the Homeland Security branch in all directions within the states

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

I'm sure the town could use that money for something a little more beneficial to their townsmen.
Hell, ME getting drunk for 800 consecutive nights in another state with that money would be as much benefit to those people as an armored car would be for them!

Send that money my way..... I has a plan to help everyone.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
All it is is selling their souls for money and toys.

Money and toys every taxpayer paid for.

From the hats on their heads to the guns in their hands to the bars on the cell are taxpayer funded.

And if you dont pay what they say you owe they turn the guns you paid for against you.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

From the hats on their heads to the guns in their hands to the bars on the cell are taxpayer funded.

And if you dont pay what they say you owe they turn the guns you paid for against you.

Be careful, dude. you live up there.....

They might get an idea to use that armor on you!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
You have a better chance of winning the lottery than being the victim of a terrorist attack. You have a better chance of being hit by lightning than being in a terrorist attack. The government is in collusion with the companies supplying military styled goods for law enforcement. Somebody is getting their palm greased. Follow the money and it will tell the tale.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Be careful, dude. you live up there.....

They might get an idea to use that armor on you!

Keene is a world away. From my perspective it's a big city suburb of Mass. Might as well be Mexico from where I'm standing.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
While they may think they are preparing for a terrorist event, it is more likely to be used excessively in events that are not terrorism... Such as domestic protests.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

I'm not sure how the funding works in this case, but where I'm from, if a police department, fire department or whatever gets funding and doesn't use it, they lose all future funding from that source. It doesn't matter if they actually NEED it or not. They are free to use it on whatever they want, no matter how useless, as long as it can be said to benefit the department. If this is the case, I think this dude just wants a very expensive, new toy that just so happens to be available on the governments dime. If so, he'll be wanting to play with it at any given opportunity and that could get ugly real fast. I'm sure it had absolutely nothing to do with the good of the people, safety or whatever. Just a high dollar toy to use and abuse.

edit on 2/16/2012 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

reply to post by Glargod

I'm sure the town could use that money for something a little more beneficial to their townsmen.
Hell, ME getting drunk for 800 consecutive nights in another state with that money would be as much benefit to those people as an armored car would be for them!

Send that money my way..... I has a plan to help everyone.

hahaha
2nd
3rd
4th
still hahaha

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Men and their toys.

They just want to play with it.

Townspeople are just upset because they can't play with the new toy.

I say share. Problem solved.

That's a pretty nice looking tank.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I'd hate to see a POed driver go bananas. I hope they keep the AMMO in a separate box LOL

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Men and their toys.

They just want to play with it.

Townspeople are just upset because they can't play with the new toy.

I say share. Problem solved.

That's a pretty nice looking tank.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

I'm a man that would rather share than play with mine all by myself.

Just sayin'

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I really hope its for the zombie apocalypse ... good purchase
no zombies.... waste of money
could put that money towards infastructure and the poor
edit on 16-2-2012 by leawyoming because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

No. You didn't. You did NOT just say that.

Share with who? Or with what?

Or... oh just nvm. :shk:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by leawyoming
I really hope its for the zombie apocalypse ... good purchase
no zombies.... waste of money
could put that money towards infastructure and the poor
Funny just shows the fear the police have of those thier supposed to police
Yeah, that would be the one case where it could be money well spent.

Much fun, that would be.... Splatting zombies with an armored car!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

No. You didn't. You did NOT just say that.

Share with who? Or with what?

Or... oh just nvm. :shk:

My armored car, of course!

My mind would never wander to the very edge of the gutter!

(it swims in it)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join