It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we be spitting at our troops?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Should people spit on each other? No.

Should Muslims kill people? No.

Should Christians Kill people? No.

Should agnostics and people of all different belief systems spit on and kill each other? No.

What is so complicated?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem
[more

I stll support our military and I'm on their side. I'm an American, just like they are.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
In my 16th year of service as a "foot soldier" I've come to realize certain things.
One being that when I'm back home I treat this career as it is, a job. It pays the bills, taxes, donations to charity's and all the normal creature comforts one would desire in a middle class(lower middle I guess) home.

The second thing I've realized and it makes my job a little easier sometimes, is that I support the current government that's in power. I can't change their decisions, thats not my position. It's the civilians opinions that should influence the gov. decisions. Not mine.
These are opinions when I'm at home.
Once I'm deployed the only thoughts on my mind are the mission, getting my men home safely and to ensure that my decisions are made with as much good morale standing as possible.

I'm not going to take that "spitting" thing literally, you'd have to have a death wish or really good health insurance if you want to try that. What I do agree with is that unfortunately the military is used as an instrument in ways that can be questionable at times.
I go where I'm told. I do what I'm told. Not so you can set up your pvr for Ancient Aliens episodes. I do it because of the men and women beside me.
Airborne.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Sorry no

I honestly think you said it from the start it's the gov pushing these women and men to do these things if they lie to you as a citizen how easy is it for them to tell troops things saying it's national security or classified making them feel like they know things about why we are doing what we are doing that the public is not being told about basically lieing to them to brainwash them into doing the things that are done Yes there are some that are over the top looking for a kill but the few bad doesn't make them all. Personally I chose not to serve because i know it's lies but for real the long and short of it if I was in a public place and saw troops or a soldier and witnessed a fellow american spit on them i would find it my personal duty to come over and knock you off your feet and since you were low enough to spit at another human A. your just as bad as the gov and B. it's shows a complete lack of respect for another human being so after dropping you to the floor i might even go as far as to take your wallet as well

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

Originally posted by tangonine

So the guy on the carrier that cleared the F-18 for a strike mission he has NO IDEA where it's going isn't worthy of your respect. Or the pilot that got a target package 20 minutes after wishing his daughter happy birthday over a milsatcom vehicle maintained by some AF guy who had to work a triple shift due to the snow... they don't deserve your respect... Well, at the end of the day, I'm **certain** they hold you in the same regard.

All cogs, gears, sprockets, pinions, racks, nuts and bolts, belts and chains in the same machine of war.

I dont DISrespect them. I just dont see them, as willing integral pieces of a war machine, to be in respectable lines of work. Sure, they are brave, tough, resilient, and some are probably even pretty intelligent... but that doesnt make their chosen career an honorable one.
edit on 2/16/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

"some are probably even pretty intelligent"

That bit right there is telling enough.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrumpyCanadian
In my 16th year of service as a "foot soldier" I've come to realize certain things.
One being that when I'm back home I treat this career as it is, a job. It pays the bills, taxes, donations to charity's and all the normal creature comforts one would desire in a middle class(lower middle I guess) home.

The second thing I've realized and it makes my job a little easier sometimes, is that I support the current government that's in power. I can't change their decisions, thats not my position. It's the civilians opinions that should influence the gov. decisions. Not mine.
These are opinions when I'm at home.
Once I'm deployed the only thoughts on my mind are the mission, getting my men home safely and to ensure that my decisions are made with as much good morale standing as possible.

I'm not going to take that "spitting" thing literally, you'd have to have a death wish or really good health insurance if you want to try that. What I do agree with is that unfortunately the military is used as an instrument in ways that can be questionable at times.
I go where I'm told. I do what I'm told. Not so you can set up your pvr for Ancient Aliens episodes. I do it because of the men and women beside me.
Airborne.

Which Canadian airborne regiment are you a member of?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

This almost made me, literally, sick to my stomach. It is a shame that freedom of speech is something that allows this sort of language to pollute my audio receivers (ears). I think these young men go there to serve our country with the most honest of intentions. Many, being of impressionable age, are analyzed and molded accordingly. If you want to boo somebody, put it in the form of an educated vote for the leaders that will make different decisions.
The intention of these ceremonies are to honor the efforts and the struggles of what these men have proven they can endure for the thought of making the world a better place. The military is super-compartmentalized (made that one up) no one but the leadership knows what is going to happen from one minute to the next.
I don't know how things are ran in dream land , but the world we live in is competitive. Also (yea), could you elaborate on who you think should be in charge of world commodities. I am not sure you are fully aware of how truly offensive this would be to any true Americans. (I wish I could embed the song, "Proud to be an American" for your listening enjoyment)

link   

spitting at!?!?!?! NO....conversing with....YES. spitting makes you a hypocrite...using same form of ignorant violence. if it's something you don't like, then don't BE it to challenge. BE WITH it to help it challenge itself. hitting my kid so he may feel shame for a certain behavior does not teach him to change his behavior...it teaches him that hitting works...stop being stupid..can't kill fire with fire

link   

Originally posted by FinalAccount2008
Should people spit on each other? No.

Should Muslims kill people? No.

Should Christians Kill people? No.

Should agnostics and people of all different belief systems spit on and kill each other? No.

What is so complicated?

X2

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Its a logical statement. Would you say more than "some" are pretty intelligent, as in say the top 5% of the intelligence curve? I think you are still presuming I have some "animosity" for military personnel. I dont, as Ive explained.

Could you also answer my other question? I assume we are on the same page regarding the nebulous "it" since you didnt say I was wrong?

"So you know its wrong... but you do it anyway? Or do you and the others who sit the back room honestly believe you are fighting some good fight?

Some poster mentioned that RP has the majority of the military supporting him. Obviously, many of you know the war machine is wrong, and want it to end. Yet for some reason, you become a cog in it anyway, again, and again, and again?"

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I can think of a number of ways to respond to the question your title poses, none of which conform to ATS T&C.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I don't know if you know anythng about me or what I do....but when I read the name of this topic....I had a hard time keeping my composure. Now that sounds like an innocuous enough statement right? See...the thing is I am by nature as well as by training a person who does not react unless I have a plan and have weighed the pro's and con's as well as a general assesment of probability of cause and effect and have already made a decision on how far I will take something.

I am....for and to the right person man or woman...a good friend to have. I am also a person that never allows something to get to the enemy phase as if you are aware of me....it would most likely be your last seconds of life....I do not consider you an enemy.

The reason this topic had me so off my game is it brought me back to a particular day in the late 1960's. My Father was driving with me in the front seat of his convertable but the top wa down as it was pouring outside. A G.I. with a Duffle bag was walking in the rain and my Dad being Military...pulled over to offer him a lift. I saw the gratitude on this young MAN...because he had the 10,000 yard stare going...as he said...I have been walking home all day to surprise my Mom and no one would give me a lift!

As my father suggested both the duffle bag and I get in the back seat...some Hippie Couple in a VW pulld right next to my door to yell into our car...an OLDS JETSTAR.....BABY KILLER....and the GUY spit into the open door...our car was a two door...and the spit landed partially on my jeans and the cars seat. My Dad chased them down to the light....got out of our car...grabbed this Piece of Crap by his Earlobe and pulled himout of his VW. He walked the Hippie over to the passenger side of our car and told him to appologize...the Hippie said...F#@% Y@# PIG! Understand....I had never seen my Dad rais an arm to anyone before but I was with this oneon this. My Dad....twisted the Hippie Mans Ear and put him in an encompassing uper body lock with the Hippies Poncho...My Dad then said...appologize or I will not only rip your earings out of your head but I will bring you to the Town Police Dept. where the Chief had just lost his oly SON and only child a short while back in Nam....the Hippie Appologized...but sarcasticly...my Dad pulled at one earlobe and said...LAST CHANCE! The Hippie appologized for spitting and apologized to the Soldier...thanked him for him service then my Dad had him appologize to me. I have never been so proud of my Father. The Young Soldier Broke down Crying as we pulled away and said we could just drop him anywhere on our way...My Dad said...NOTHING DOING! We brought him to his Mothers Home as his Dad had passed away. On our way there he told us storries like what had just happened and how it hurt him deeply.

Now I have very ong Hair and I play in a Band and I help run several sucessful family buisnesses...and my third job...well alot of my third job came out of what happened in My Dads Convertable in a Downpour that DAY! I do a job that attempt to prevent wars of the Nature of Nam ever happen again. So just a friendly warning...if I see a person get ready to spit...they had better either swallow it or use a tissue. What happened to those Men back them is SHAME on the entirety of the Academic World as well as these supposed people who were Love, Peace, Dope! Much more Dopes...not so much love and peace! Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Excellent post, op. The hypocrisy on this subject is boundless. Bombing families for our "freedoms" for 11 years straight yet the warmongering chinckenhawks pretend it's for a righteous cause. Drop the act, you murderous criminals, even the most moronic out there can see through you.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MBF
The only part that I agree with in the OP is the fighting for freedom part. They are not fighting for our freedom. What they are fighting for is to stop a bunch of nut cases from hijacking our airplanes and flying them into buildings, to stop terrorist from taking over our country.
Would you like to explain to everyone why those terrorists crashed those planes into buildings? (hint: It has nothing to do with our freedoms)

I think they have done a good job so far because none of them have hijacked another plane since the wars have started and nearly 5,000 of them have given their lives in the process.
Just to let you know, the military doesn't regulate airplane safety. Also, one could argue that this goes against your claim of "terrorists taking over the country".

Anyways, I'm glad to see that you actually read the OP, unlike so many others in this thread.
edit on 16-2-2012 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

On topic, no, I don't think people who think to themselves "someone has to serve, I suppose I should do it so others don't have to" should be spat on. However, the "I'ma put my boot to some *insert racist slur here* because I got a 1.5 GPA in high school and I like to blow crap up" should be.

Most of the servicemen and women on ATS strike me as the former. They seem to be genuine, courageous people who want to protect their loved ones and feel a sense of duty. In that case, the government should be the focus of your ire.

As for the others, and I've seen plenty around where I live, they are as low as the worst gang banger. The only difference is they wear the flag and shoot foreigners instead of opposing drug dealers, and I think that's a crime. They should be spit on not only for perpetuating endless war by virtue of their willingness to go be a meat shield, but also for tarnishing the good name of the noble soldiers among them.

Servicemen and women who understand the gravity of the situation they willingly put themselves into, and act with courage and valor, are not the problem. Even though it would be easy to say that every enlisted person is facilitating the issues we face, and to hate them for it, that's not correct.

I do see your point about patriotism being used as a means to keep feeding the machine though.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
From being in the military myself. First of all...I welcome you to try to spit on me. We will see how you make out with that...coward!. Secondly, I can't speak for all military persons but I think I can speak for a lot: we are not fighting for Bush, or Obama, or for oil fields or for global chess moves. We are fighting for ourselves...to get our ass home alive, and we are fighting for the guy next to us to make sure he makes it out so no friends death is on our hands.
War sucks....but its a job you sign up for. Think about that next time you bitch and moan about the "private sector" or union pensions, or whatever else you complain about while you sit nice and safe. Why dont you put your aggression toward real problems and not people who are just trying to make a living.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalAccount2008

What is so complicated?

The precedent of 6000 years of human history.

We don't play well with others.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LrBc1275
From being in the military myself. First of all...I welcome you to try to spit on me. We will see how you make out with that...coward!. Secondly, I can't speak for all military persons but I think I can speak for a lot: we are not fighting for Bush, or Obama, or for oil fields or for global chess moves. We are fighting for ourselves...to get our ass home alive, and we are fighting for the guy next to us to make sure he makes it out so no friends death is on our hands.
War sucks....but its a job you sign up for. Think about that next time you bitch and moan about the "private sector" or union pensions, or whatever else you complain about while you sit nice and safe. Why dont you put your aggression toward real problems and not people who are just trying to make a living.

You're wasting your time. They won't get it.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
Excellent post, op. The hypocrisy on this subject is boundless. Bombing families for our "freedoms" for 11 years straight yet the warmongering chinckenhawks pretend it's for a righteous cause. Drop the act, you murderous criminals, even the most moronic out there can see through you.

So, why don't you hold the people (the commander in chief, the secretary of defense) accountable?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

Its a logical statement. Would you say more than "some" are pretty intelligent, as in say the top 5% of the intelligence curve? I think you are still presuming I have some "animosity" for military personnel. I dont, as Ive explained.

Could you also answer my other question? I assume we are on the same page regarding the nebulous "it" since you didnt say I was wrong?

"So you know its wrong... but you do it anyway? Or do you and the others who sit the back room honestly believe you are fighting some good fight?

Some poster mentioned that RP has the majority of the military supporting him. Obviously, many of you know the war machine is wrong, and want it to end. Yet for some reason, you become a cog in it anyway, again, and again, and again?"

I disagree with your premise and your characterization of the military as "the war machine."

Few of you are intelligent, yet nonetheless you're a "cog" in the communist conspiracy to overthrow the foundation of the united states, so how do you like that?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join