It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eventvwr scam!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I just though id share something thats just happened to me today here in the UK. I had an Indian guy ring me , said "are you mr *********?" I said "No" like i always do when i get random phone calls from People i dont know. He then claimed to be from Microsoft and said they had detected a bad virus infection on my computer. I knew something was up because my Windows operating system is not registered to me personally. They asked me to bring up a 'run' box and type in 'Eventvwr' so instead i opened google and typed in 'Eventvwr scam' and found a whole bunch of results describing the call i was having. I then said something unmentionable here on ATS to the guy and hung up.

After a bit more of an investigation i noticed this scam has been around for a couple of years, i think the ultimate aim is to trick you into buying software you do not need and of course when you do that they have your credit card info.

I guess they must be doing the rounds again in the UK, so this is a warning to anyone who has not heard of this scam.

edit on 16-2-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
wish i was a windows user, they get all the fun

seriously though, the scam does seem to be 'doing the rounds' again,

they play on the users lack of knowledge about event viewer and the errors it shows,

my system must be truly infected as i don't have a 'run' box or event viewer,
aaahhh - somethings even got rid of my start button

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by solvectra

Yeh, they only target windows users with this scam, i have had these phonecalls several times in the past year or so.

Just tell them you use a mac, or linux (even if you are running windows!). If they hang it's immediately obvious what their intentions are.

Besides, microsoft or your isp will never be able to tell if you have dormant malware lying on your computer anyway.

new topics

join