It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does everyone feel about Facebook?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Hello ATS, I will keep it short, I was just really wondering what everyone's view on facebook is? I used to have facebook back last May but I deleted it due a variety of reasons, one of the most important reasons being that it absorbed too much time and distracted me from school. In addition to that, I am also convinced that facebook is compromising people's personal information, which sickens me. Although I doubt me deleting facebook would really make a difference, but I consider it a form of protest to the people who made it, because of the fact that I hate being monitored by the government. How do you all feel about it?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
i joined for a day and then deleted my account, this was like 3 years ago and last year i almost joined again but i stopped myself. the initial reason i joined was to communicate with friends but then i realised all facebook is, is a tool for staring into other peoples lives and is therefore a mark to which you should judge your life by and how well you are doing (kinda like a life league, and i hate that). i decided to go against the flow and be one of the few of my friends that does not have facebook, i see most my friends without the aid of a computer and my true friends phone me when they wanna talk, i'm not just part of a list on there profile page, but there is a culture that if your not on facebook or twitter your not cool. social networking sites are a good thing but there is something that dosen't sit well with me when it comes to facebook.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
i use facebook mainly to rant! but also to chat with my girl & my kids. other than that,i really dont see the point of it all. i also have a web cam my girl got me to video chat,but i rfuse to use it beacause i have a weird feeling someone is watching me!!!
even now i have it covered up!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by josephamccoy

i think twitter is the most dumb thing ever! i signed up then i read the stuff people were writing,and none of it made sense to me!

within an hour i had 10 'friends'(strangers!) that i had no idea what they were talking about!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I can see that Facebook can serve some useful purpose. I was able to find and contact some of my more distant relatives that I was otherwise unable to do without joining a pay site like Reunion. After the first round of privacy changes I deleted my account, because I don't think it is right for a website to change their privacy policy after having your information stored on their servers. As far as I know, my information may still be stored in some shadow volume or backup. Thankfully my time on the site was limited and I never uploaded photos or anything that I lost ownership of.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by josephamccoy

I would definitely agree with the 'not being cool' part in today's society. So many people ask me where I've been these months where I have just been focusing on school and other things. I have just been wondering what the heck happened to just phoning people that are important nowadays? Plus, life has been drastically different without a facebook, I feel free from a lot of drama the site brings.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I use it to keep in contact with friends. FB comments / messages are cheaper than texts

It's also useful for managing the bands I'm in - sorting out upcoming gigs, arranging practices etc. It's a great way of marketing those bands, advertising the gigs, keeping in contact with promoters and releasing music.

As long as you don't get addicted to Facebook and spend all your time on it there's no harm done. I'm not too sure about the whole privacy thing but WHO is tracking the 845 million users and for what purpose? I don't see any reason to monitor people through Facebook; the logistics of hiring a team to do that seems ludicrous.

You don't have to disclose any information you wish to keep private

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It's a dirty data minning tool for TPTB, you give all your info freely and then they use it. Lets face it you dont get invited to a Bilderberg meeting just for helping old friends and family get in contact with each other, that coupled with the fact that they do not delete your account or any of the stuff from from their servers, even after you no longer have an account. suck-up-berg is in bed with government in a big way

There was a story the other week of someone still able to access photos 3 years after their account had been deleted, i believe the photos were visible when you did a google search for the name

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Facebook is a place for all of my friends to start drama with other people. I tried deleting my account last week, but I couldn't, its like everyone will ignore you if you don't have a facebook. If you know someone who doesn't have a Facebook, tell them its a beast that's hungry from hell and that it wants to make you spend your time slaving over having to settle disputes over pointless crap. I hate you Facebook

#JustAboutSumsItUp

edit on 16/2/12 by Philosorapter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I do not have a Facebook account and will never get one. Every single key stroke you make on facebook is being kept on file.
Sure you mean no harm but anything you say can and will be used.......... Lots of recent examples of that in the MSM just in the last few weeks.

I am sure all my key strokes here are kept somewhere too, no worries.

The last link says it all, it took me less than 4 mins to gather these links.

sorce

sorce

Sorce

sorce

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I use Facebook once a week, and not directly going to website but when i get an alert in my email that i think needs attention.

-I heard of people that hit refresh button every 30 sec.
-I know of people that always have a Facebook tab open when they browse website.

i just can't do that, not really interested in these things.

One good thing i noticed is that its good to make a get together, whether its friends and party or family and relatives get together.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I rarely use my facebook now.
I found it funny when I read that facebook basically owns any and every post you put up there. Haha.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It is the devils arsehole.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by winta

Exactly, the CIA could track anyone down via FB if they really wanted to.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Hahaha

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I joined once just out of curiosity. After finding out what it was good for (nothing), I deleted my account and have never regretted it.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don't know why everyone is so paranoid about facebook. So it keeps everything you put on it, BIG DEAL. If you put things on there that are going to get you in trouble, well, that's your fault.

Are you worried about some round-up of facebook people or what??

I like facebook. It keeps me in touch with a lot of family and friends in other places.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
what Facebooooooooooook!!!

top topics

join