It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA monitoring glacial disaster in Peru

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   
A massive mountain glacier in the Andes which feeds a nearby high altitude lake has formed a huge crack. NASA, who is monitoring this glacier by satelite fears that the glacier could fall into the lake, causing a catastrophic flood, killing up to 60,000 people in less than 15 minutes.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2003 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I think I'd be getting my young arse out of there.

posted on Apr, 17 2003 @ 07:23 PM
link   

LIMA, Peru, April 16 � NASA has warned that a glacier in Peru�s Andes mountains could break apart and cause an avalanche in a populated valley, but geologists said Wednesday the U.S. agency was being alarmist. The U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration said this week its Terra satellite had detected an �ominous crack� in the Cupi glacier, calling it a �potential glacial disaster-in-the-making� near the tourist town of Huaraz, 168 miles north of Lima.

Full Story: www.msnbc.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2003 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Wish I knew which geologists they were referring to.

The USGS got a lot of bad press in 1980 about an eruption alert they posted for the Mammoth Lake Caldera. A series of 6.0+ quakes hit in 1979-1980 and the USGS posted an eruption alert... but then nothing happened. (Consider that an eruption alert means it could erupt any time in the next 50-100 years).

Property values plummeted in the area, and the USGS was sued by several developers/community associations, ect. Because of this the USGS no longer posts eruption alerts unless an eruption is immediately imminent or in progress. (Which basically defeats the entire purpose of the alert, for early warning, allowing timely evacuation)

As for me, if I lived in the area of that lake, I would be relocating immediately.

posted on Apr, 17 2003 @ 09:00 PM
link   
It was geologists from the Andean Geological Institute, the Peruvian Geophysical Institute and Jeff Kargel of the U.S. Geological Service at a glance.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2003 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Well, cannot comment on the Andean and Peruvian Geological Institutes, other than I question thier overall motive for making such a statement (most likely to prevent panic?)

As far as the USGS, please read the former post...

posted on Apr, 17 2003 @ 10:37 PM
link   
heres a good page

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 17 2003 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Great page WOS!

Well, my professional opinion on the subject, given what I know about the situation, In the event that we have any ATS members in Peru is,

Get the hell out!

Just be on the side of caution... if the geologists are wrong, it could cost you a lot.... If NASA is wrong, you just take an early vacation.

top topics

join