Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Gas Prices Rise From $1.84 To $3.50 Under Obama.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

So just where were gas prices when President Obama took office? The average gas price in the U.S. was just $1.84 per gallon. So, what determines price at the pump? The short answer is supply. If we produced more of our oil – if we had, in the words of Sarah Palin, drilled, baby, drilled – our prices at the pump would be lower. But because America imports so much of our oil, we are largely reliant on the whims of cartels like OPEC. That means that international diplomacy and relationships with oil-producing nations are paramount. President Obama fails on both fronts.

biggovernment.com...
Obama has failed to keep gas prices at a reasonable price. It seems likely that gas prices will continue to rise under Obama. I know he has gotten a slight bump in the polls recently with his smoke and mirrors but I think the price at the pump will eat into his popularity significantly. There is talk of it hitting $4.00 and higher. And it gets worse--

Let’s put this in context for a moment. Back before the Great Collapse of September 2008, America’s oil prices were above $4 per gallon. Meanwhile, the federal government was continuing to sponsor bad mortgages. Many economists believe that the gas prices at the pump directly contributed to the collapse. Today, we’re talking $4 per gallon again – and as The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday, we’re looking at bailing out Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac once again:

“FHA-backed mortgages are an attractive option for borrowers because they can make down payments as low as 3.5%. But as home prices continue to fall, many of those borrowers have fallen underwater, where they owe more than their homes are worth and are at greater risk of default if they experience income shocks. The estimates by the White House’s Office of Management and Budget show that the FHA’s capital reserves, which stood at $4.7 billion in October, would be wiped out in the coming year, forcing the agency to seek nearly $700 million from the U.S. Treasury.”

Are we looking at a double dip? The preconditions are certainly there. And this double dip is brought to you by the Obama Administration.

biggovernment.com...
Good work Obama

www.mcall.com...
edit on 16-2-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Could be seen as good news a few years from now, maybe the US will start driving less v8's and more smaller,more economical cars.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I thought gas prices were correlated to the price of a barrel of oil?

How can the president dictate gas prices?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
Could be seen as good news a few years from now, maybe the US will start driving less v8's and more smaller,more economical cars.

Throughout the Obama administration's campaign to jack up fuel efficiency, officials claimed that for consumers, the upgrades would pay for themselves. Sure, buyers would pay more for a new vehicle off the lot, but they'd make up that cost in fuel savings in just a few

But the changes from two sets of fuel efficiency standards could add $3,000 to the price of a new car by 2025. And the National Automobile Dealers Association argues that if buyers can't qualify for a loan up front, the rest is fantasy. Cash-strapped buyers instead will go for gas-guzzling used cars or put off buying another car altogether, leaving the fuel-efficient marvels parked in the lots of auto dealers across the country. "Where's the environmental savings ... if you can't get the older cars off of the road?" NADA spokesman Bailey Wood said. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Maybe. Maybe not.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

By limiting supply. He does that to pander to liberals and environmentalists.

Its all Obamas fault.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by theubermensch

By limiting supply. He does that to pander to liberals and environmentalists.

Its all Obamas fault.

What happens if the US explores all those oil options when the cost is even higher. Would that then mean the profit realized in the future is all due to Obama?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
The high prices of everything are a result of inflation due to the massive amounts of money being printed and distributed. Remember, the whole bailout thing started under Bush. One day, everyone will realize how ridiculous the whole democrat vs. republican thing is and know it's a farce designed to keep us separated and bickering over unimportant things.

Instead of being mad at Obama, be mad at the system that he represents.
edit on 16-2-2012 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by theubermensch

And you got this news article from a site that panders to Conservatives and republicans

Not sure if I'm going to buy it

The site where that news article is from is run by Andrew Breitbart

nuff said
edit on 2/16/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I recall gas prices nearly reaching $5.00 per gallon when Bush was in office.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Cmon people now.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

I'm stuck with a V4 and hate it, I'm buying a crown vic pretty soon I'm sick of feeling like a Frenchy.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

And you got this news article from a site that panders to Conservatives and republicans

Not sure if I'm going to buy it

The site where that news article is from is run by Andrew Breitbart

nuff said
edit on 2/16/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Right, and this wouldn’t have anything at all to do with the oil companies historically being in bed with the republican party, and using this to help bring in the candidate of their choosing, now would it? You know, one that will let them walk all over the laws, do whatever they want to environment and get away with it, start wars with people, etc…

This also wouldn’t be OPEC’s pushing to remove a president they don’t like because they allowed several of their buddies countries to change hands in revolutions.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Instead of being mad at Obama, be mad at the system that he represents.

I am. Why do you assume that I support republicans?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
On my many trips to the US (my brother lives in North Carolina) we were paying in excess of $3 / gallon long before Obama got into office, especially down south in Florida.
I'm no fan of Obama, but the price of petrol is one thing you can't pin on him as it's driven by the oil companies and driven up by them and the Wall Street speculators.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Well you do have a nazi symbol in your avatar

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Maybe but

start wars with people, etc…

War has bipartisan support. Obama has started some stuff himself.

R is D,D is R. Its a duopoly regime.

Obama is just as bad as any republican.
edit on 16-2-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
O.P is just driving his agenda home

I'm sure he's also a birther

Surprised he didn't call President Obama "Barry" or "The Muslim Kenyan"

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Well you do have a nazi symbol in your avatar

Ha! Republicans are nazi now? I dont think so.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

O.P is just driving his agenda home

I'm sure he's also a birther

Surprised he didn't call President Obama "Barry" or "The Muslim Kenyan"

Like I care about a birtn certificate.

And yes my aganda/opinion is that Obama is just as bad as any republican.

R is D,D is R.

Obama is not your buddy.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join