It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Self-Levitation Possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Since I was young I have been fascinated by the concept of Levitation. I often experience dreams involving levitation and find the idea of real levitation to be rather intriguing. I have seen many magicians perform the illusion of levitation, but am yet to find evidence that people can self-levitate without the assistance of a machine or gimmick. I have heard tales of Buddhist monks being able to levitate while meditating, but am yet to see recorded evidence of this phenomenon.

I recently came across a video and thought I would share it with other levitation enthusiasts out there. A magician named Dan White meets up with a Buddhist monk, in Nepal, who apparently has the power of levitation. They talk for a bit and then White asks if the monk will try to perform a levitation for him. This is what happens.

What I find suspicious:
- monk does the levitation while in front of a curtain and with a half triangle of fire around him
- the continual camera focus on White and not the monk while levitating
- lack of camera shots from the side or back while levitating

Does the concept of Levitation interest you? Do you have any information you wish to share? Any other thoughts or opinions?

edit on 16/2/2012 by Dark Ghost because: fixed title

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Im going to say bunk for a few reasons

The show is only focused on the 'star' and not the content, this is to say IMO that the 'star' is more deserving of the focus and that the subject is inferior.

There are multiple cameras being used, but none of them are highlighting the subject. We are at the mercy of the angle presented.

The monk, who should be a master of himself theoretically for this to work, must be cornered into his position against the curtain and the candle forground. He is relying on this area (to preserve energy assume-ably) the reliance on his foreground and background in addition to the above robs all credibility.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
TV Show + Viewers + Ratings = Marketing dollars.

That's it.

No levitation.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

hi op

i was always interested in stories like this
heres one i read as a kid

Daniel Douglas Home

"Suddenly, without any expectation on the part of the company, Home was taken up into the air. I had hold of his hand at the time and I felt his feet -- they were lifted a foot from the floor. He palpitated from head to foot with the contending emotions of joy and fear which choked his utterances. Again and again, he was taken from the floor, and the third time he was taken to the ceiling of the apartment, with which his hands and feet came into gentle contact."

www.prairieghosts.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
TV Show + Viewers + Ratings = Marketing dollars.

That's it.

No levitation.

The alternatives to your thoughts, are no tv, no one viewing and no remarks. Not sure about that, but I do get your point.

Now as to the video, 100% hoax. He positions himself in an area that can be seen as setup. He needs the help to stand in the first place, but that is beside the point.

The old trick is viewer perspective, he is never shown from the back. Like the old indian (from india, not the american indian) trick is to have a special seat placed out of view and use that as a means - with overflowing robe - to appear as if levitation has been achieved.

In my opinion, he has sat on a device that lifts him from the ground.

The presenter, in his infinite wisdom will not investigate it, and in deed accept it, because "Hey you're not levitating, there's a paddle under your bum dude!!" would not sell.

False, baloney, and if someone can prove me wrong with a valid levitation technique, I'll eat my paddle.

Just because the guy is chanting et al, means little to validate his ability. He's either a charlatan who often garners his crowd via his trick, or a patsy setup for the show.

You'd think, also, that if you can levitate then you'd be doing matrix style flying around like superman. Sadly, the cup and ball trick has just been effected.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
S&F

I have always found this kind of phenomena amazing. Unfortunately I have yet to see it and believe that it is real.

This is the same.

If the monk was a master, then I would have expected him to fidget less and not display nervous twitches.

The camera work started off as though there was a semi-professional behind the lens but then became a mess once the monk started to do his stuff.

The search continues......

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
This is a well known trick. See the cane going to the ground while he's levitating? That's a post and a bar leads from it and curves around, forming a seat for the old man. I'm sure you could Google it and find a plethora of information. Also, that show looks about as awful and fake as a reality TV show. I don't see what you people see in these shows. Anywho...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
That video seems suspicious to me. Too many angle changes. Each change represents an editing cut. Lots of opportunity for shenanigans.

I have mixed feelings on levitation phenomena. From a rational point of view, it would be impossible. There are things in this world, however, that we don't understand. I have never seen, either personally or through video, anything that would definitively prove levitation is possible. I personally do not completely dismiss the idea, though.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
people can self-levitate without the assistance of a machine or gimmick.

very easy to do.

Simply reach down, grab your bootlaced and pull really hard. You will then pull yourself up!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoor

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
people can self-levitate without the assistance of a machine or gimmick.

very easy to do.

Simply reach down, grab your bootlaced and pull really hard. You will then pull yourself up!

This is true!!

tee hee hee

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Here's a video of another supposedly real levitation. I saw this one a while ago but it still cracks me up: African shaman performing levitation
edit on 16/2/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Agreed, one in particular at the post moment of the 'levitation', also the scene is darkened by the candlelight. Given that, there should be a more fuller sequence knocking about somewhere to make a better judgement.

new topics

top topics

join