It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop jailed 30 days for assaulting suspect

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Cop jailed 30 days for assaulting suspect

www.metronews.ca

Toronto - Canada

A Toronto police constable found guilty last year of punching a motorist and squeezing his testicles twice has been sentenced to 30 days in jail.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www .thestar.com

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This officer was just convicted of assault and sexual assault for his treatment of a suspect. Apparently he suspected the person because they were carrying two cell phones in a high crime neighborhood.

It later turned out that the suspect was a cell phone representative. I know many, and many of them have more than one phone. As do other people who keep business and personal lines, which is not that strange in today's society.

This is clear bias used against someone. One for the area they were in, and two for what legal objects they had on them that aroused suspicion. But should it arouse suspicion?

I don't believe so.

Interesting enough, because the officer grabbed the man by his testicles, he is now a sexual offender.

By no means is this meant to be a cop bashing thread, only to point out what happens when we live by assumptions over the standard of innocent until proven guilty.

The defence suggested the assaults occurred “in the heat of the moment” during a search around 1 a.m. in a high-crime area.

The judge discounted that, saying Marji “wanted to impress his sergeant.”

Court had heard that Marji was a high performer on TAVIS (Toronto Anti-Violence Intervention Strategy), which has a rapid-response team dedicated to rooting out drugs and guns in high-risk areas.

Evidence presented in court showed Marji punched the driver in the face and slammed his head on a police cruiser. He also grabbed the driver twice by the testicles and squeezed so hard as to elicit screams of pain.

Police suspected the victim of being involved in drug activity because he was carrying two cellphones when he was pulled over on Lawrence Ave. E., just west of Jane St., an area known for violent gang activity.

It was later learned that the victim, a 21-year-old university student, was a cellphone sales representative.

www.metronews.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

This officer was just convicted of assault and sexual assault for his treatment of a suspect. Apparently he suspected the person because they were carrying two cell phones in a high crime neighborhood.

It later turned out that the suspect was a cell phone representative. I know many, and many of them have more than one phone. As do other people who keep business and personal lines, which is not that strange in today's society.

Wow, It's going to be tough to beat that one for 'Oops Of the Year'. He figured he was just abusing some scumbag so who cared.....and it turned out to be a decent citizen with a good reason to be there? All I can say is, I wonder how many other people he hurt before screwing up and picking the wrong one? I'm anything but a cop-basher, but there are bad ones out there and good riddens to 'em as they are found and busted!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Not good enough. If it were a civillian, they would be facing 10-15 for aggravated assault and sexual assault.

This will be used as an example of a cop not getting away with it....but he really did. 30 days? you can get more than that for smoking a joint.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Not good enough. If it were a civillian, they would be facing 10-15 for aggravated assault and sexual assault.

This will be used as an example of a cop not getting away with it....but he really did. 30 days? you can get more than that for smoking a joint.

I was thinking about this too. The sentence is disproportionate with what an average citizen would receive.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
A normal citizen would likely get more time for it, yeah...but they wouldn't be losing a career and any way to do anything related to it. A normal person wouldn't be losing a pension. (I sure hope someone doesn't find info that this isn't true and he is actually keeping his job somehow)

I'm not saying he shouldn't have gotten more... He should have. I'm thinking it's cost him more than 30 days in jail though. Considerably more. That is something, anyway.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
A normal citizen would likely get more time for it, yeah...but they wouldn't be losing a career and any way to do anything related to it. A normal person wouldn't be losing a pension. (I sure hope someone doesn't find info that this isn't true and he is actually keeping his job somehow)

I'm not saying he shouldn't have gotten more... He should have. I'm thinking it's cost him more than 30 days in jail though. Considerably more. That is something, anyway.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)
that's simply not true. There are many, many jobs that one cannot hold if they are arrested. Cops aren't the only one who have their careers on the line when they break the law.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I was under the impression our neighbors to the north in blue were a lot more restricted with that type of policing than we are in the US IE police in the US would be more prone to come to that conclusion and act than in Canada..

I thought Canada has a higher standard when it comes to that type of police action.. Im not all that familiar with thier operations so if im wrong let me know..

Kind of reminds me of the NYPD stop and frisk program, which I dont see how its even legal, but then again it is the Democractic Peoples Rupublic of New York.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
it wil be a long 15 days for him .... !!!! ( if its the same as the uk anyway)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Anyone else would have been charged with sexual assault, labeled a sex offender and sentenced to 10 years. In the USA at least, not sure about Canada's sentences.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by boncho

I was under the impression our neighbors to the north in blue were a lot more restricted with that type of policing than we are in the US IE police in the US would be more prone to come to that conclusion and act than in Canada..

I thought Canada has a higher standard when it comes to that type of police action.. Im not all that familiar with thier operations so if im wrong let me know..

Kind of reminds me of the NYPF stop and frisk program, which I dont see how its even legal, but then again it is the Democractic Peoples Rupublic of New York.

I have family members that are officers. For the most part, them and the people they work with are decent people, and work towards their goal as being a benefit to the community.

This particular case deals with a team that is tasked with policing and taking down the higher risk neighborhoods. Different tactics.

Actually, it seems that most special teams or units in Canada come under fire constantly, because they are tasked with dealing with tougher cases. But it makes you wonder, do they have to be criminals to catch them? Because there are certainly enough cases up here to make it seem as such.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
www.worldstarhiphop.com...

this was just posted on another thread

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Going through the Police Aceademy one of our instrcutors pointed this out...

A criminal and a law enforcement officer think the same, they have to so the criminal can commit the crime and the police can think like the criminal to figure the crime out. The difference is the action, not the thought process.

everyone at one point will have criminal thoughts. Its acting on them that makes the difference.

We have specialized units as well, liek the NYPd one... Multiple cell phones are common to drug crimes, usually when moving larger amounts. If its a high crime area I can see the increased presence but if their only action was the person having 2 cell phones I cant see that being enough to do what occured.

im not slmamming Canadian police in the least.. Im just not familiar with thier protocols / laws on that subject.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Oh send that judge to Aus.

Our top law guys have just come out today to say it's A-OK to punch, repeatedly in the face, a hand cuffed suspect.

Ahh, but if per say a false arrest were to be in the makings, should one of us ever dare touch an officer in an illegitimate manner, then off to gaol you go.

you see, we hate people protecting themselves, we only like it when we're bashed even when unlawfully.

Yay the police!!! Hip Hip Hooray.. *shake a cops hand, it's new years* Oops he didn't like that, I'm some sort of god damned criminal.

ahh the fervent hatred of days gone past... I should forgive that pig. he's probably a bouncer now anyway.

edit on 16-2-2012 by mainidh because: grr I fixed false twice... yarfgh!!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
he should not be granted protective custody,
and be put on the worst block.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Lucky he wasn't a cell phone sales person with a passion for photography studying constitutional law. A camera, multiple cell phones and a copy of the constitution would've probably gotten him shipped to Gitmo by these standards.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Lucky he wasn't a cell phone sales person with a passion for photography studying constitutional law. A camera, multiple cell phones and a copy of the constitution would've probably gotten him shipped to Gitmo by these standards.

Wow lol...

Your blind hatred for police is showing again. This was in Canada, not the US.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Canada doesn't have a constitution? I'm not that familiar with them. All I know about Canada is that for every quiz show question the right answer is Canada.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Canada doesn't have a constitution? I'm not that familiar with them. All I know about Canada is that for every quiz show question the right answer is Canada.

Canada does, but it's called the Charter of Rights.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Ok so a copy of charter of rights then
I try to remember it from now on

new topics

<<   2 >>

join