It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"180" Movie - A Few Minutes that may change your mind about Abortion

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by resist2012

So what next?

Do you propose the government ban masturbation, since spilling the seed is spilling potential babies? How about menstruation or a miscarriage?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

The first thing to develop is the brain and spinal column. So, the brain has nothing to do with the mind? Have you ever felt the stomach of a pregnant woman? you poke the baby and it pokes back, it responds to your touch.

A fetus will respond to positive and negative touch, with positive and negative emotion/reaction. It responds to discomfort. These are not just nerve impulses. Comfort and discomfort and the reactions that follow are determined by the mind of the child.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Believer101

Same argument, can't afford to have a kid, don't have sex.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

So what next? Do you propose the government ban masturbation, since spilling the seed is spilling potential babies? How about menstruation or a miscarriage?
reply to post by The Sword

Seriously? Potential is not actual. Miscarriage is USUALLY at no fault of the mother, and menstruation is a natural part of a woman's reproductive system. None of those mean anything to this argument. Sperm itself is not a human. it is one half. The conception of sperm and egg is what begins a new life.

So, how about you define when life begins, and argue how that is. What is the determining factor? Birth? i think not, considering births have happened as early as 3 months premature (if not sooner) where the baby has survived.The brain and spinal column are the first parts formed, which holds all that makes us human. mind, thoughts, and control over the shell we call the body.

So at what point exactly, and why is it at that point, does a fetus become a human?

Also, Government ban on abortion is not an interference of freedoms. If it was, then so is ban on murder, or ban on anything. Abortion is the cessation of life. homicide. which is against the law. The permitting of it is where the problem is.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

The brain and spinal column are the first parts formed, which holds all that makes us human. mind, thoughts, and control over the shell we call the body.

Actually no, the opposite is true. Brain is among the last organs to develop. This was part of the observation which served as a basis for a well-known hypothesis that foetal development repeats evolutionary development. As far as I know, this hypothesis is now considered obsolete, but the fact that CNS develops later compared to other systems in the body is real.

Brainwaves appear in 5th month at the earliest.
edit on 18/2/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Brainwaves are actually detectable now as early as 40 days, or just under 6 weeks.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Nope, thats a very common misconception which can be traced back to one pretty widespread pro-life propaganda piece. Its impossible for a 6 week old fetus to have brainwaves. The first appearance of brain waves is in fact in 5th month of fetal development (20 weeks).

Fetal Brain Development: Myths and Disinformation

PAIN AND ITS EFFECTS IN THE HUMAN NEONATE AND FETUS

Functional maturity of the cerebral cortex is suggested by fetal and a neonatal electroencephalographic patterns, studies of cerebral metabolism, and the behavioral development of neonates. First, intermittent electroencephalograpic bursts in both cerebral hemispheres are first seen at 20 weeks gestation; they become sustained at 22 weeks and bilaterally synchronous at 26 to 27 weeks.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

So what next?

Do you propose the government ban masturbation, since spilling the seed is spilling potential babies? How about menstruation or a miscarriage?

I'm sorry you made me laugh and I had to say something, because in the end, that's what i think some people would like to have done, one member even pointed to the striking down of someone for spilling the seed....

Thank you Stars abound.......

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Find out what the spirit says about abortion and many other subjects relayed through automatic writing: messages2012.blogspot.com

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Look into O'Rahilly R, Müller F. 1999. The embryonic human brain: an atlas of developmental stages

also from EHD.

From 6 to 6½ weeks, the cerebral vesicles will double in size.1 Individualized brainwaves recorded via electroencephalogram (e-lek’tro-en-sef’a-lo-gram), or EEG, have been reported as early as 6 weeks, 2 days.2

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Oh my I love abortion thread they are the best for lame ass analogies and such. so here lame ass analogy

Murdering babies in the womb is like murdering people in a war, it's not new, it's not stopping and regardless of what laws you think are or aren't passed ya ain't going to change it.

I mean really, abortion is kinda better then pulling the ol' Chinese bay or babes, am i right? but enough of that it's time for me to bring my awesome bible, Mahabharata ,or Koran quotes. Just kidding, really leave them out of this. no reason to look a fool by trying to tell me your invisible friends moral opinions.

and btw anyone else get confused on the # all these jews run america, ugg hitler you've let me down, 11 million pfft wasn't enough, anyway feel free to flame me for this O.o

the real question is this what would Jesus do?

nothing he'd be a terrorist for stating his ideals and probably get drone striked!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Love how people against abortion use "reliable" blogs to back up their arguments

Even more hilarious is the "don't have sex" crowd who truly believes you can just shut off human nature

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Love how people against abortion use "reliable" blogs to back up their arguments

Even more hilarious is the "don't have sex" crowd who truly believes you can just shut off human nature

Well Its easier to just ignore the problem than actually deal with it. We don't want to deal with it, which is why we come up with easy answers such as anti abortion laws, or just don't have sex.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

Right, anybody with willpower can just to abstain or be fruitful. And anybody with willpower can choose to abort or raise the "cell group". Unfortunately we don't have the option of calling up any profits or deities to ask what they would do, so all we can do is use our minds and our willpower to the best of our ability, and hope everything turns out ok. I for one, have a plan for the after life

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Wow I'm overwhelmed by the amount of comments I would love to respond to in this thread, but I have other interests as well, so I'll try to wrap it all up in this last post.

First of all to the OP SubAce
Great job on your first thread! I honestly didn't like the video and I'm not at all religious, but I thought all of your responses to the pro choice crowd were spot on. I stand with you on this one and I applaud your efforts to change the minds and hearts of these people.

Now on to the topic...

The first point of view I would like to address is how some of you see abortion as strictly a woman's issue. I believe one of you said that men don't even have any business talking about it.

To the Men in this thread who agree with and defend this point of view, I say cut off your testicles now and just give them to the woman that's holding the end of your leash. You might as well because she already owns them anyway. Come on people! We have given women absolute control over which babies get to live and which babies must die. The fathers of these babies have no say in the matter whatsoever and that is just insane to me.

If an accidental pregnancy occurs and the woman simply decides she's not ready to be a mom, she can walk into a clinic with a perfectly healthy fetus and KILL it for no greater reason than mere inconvenience, and without even having to tell the father. The pro-choice crowd loves to throw all of the extreme cases in your face to defend their position, but the fact of the matter is that "inconvenience" is the reason given for over 90% of all abortions.

www.abortionno.org...

Why women have abortions 1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient).

Now on the other hand...

If an accidental pregnancy occurs and the man decides he's not ready to be a father, then guess what? "Well you should've been more responsible Mr. Smith." Conception has already taken place and if the man harms that fetus in any way, he will be charged with a felony and he will go to prison, AS HE SHOULD.

No one in the whole wide world can force that woman to become a mother, not even the father of the child she is carrying. Yet quite ironically, that same woman has the power to force that man into becoming a father whether his condom broke or not. Now what kind of backwards ass BS is that?

Here's another one for you. Let's say the man and woman planned the pregnancy, but during the course of the pregnancy the woman changes her mind, leaves the man, and has an abortion. No matter how you choose to spin this issue, the fact is... she just murdered his child and this man doesn't even have the right to demand a funeral or press charges. This is a sick injustice and imbalance of power that has reduced the fathers of these children to nothing more than sperm donors.

Pro-Choice= No Choice

My next major gripe is with those of you who cling to the "it's not a baby until it's born" defense. For you I have a wonderful animated video and a very simple request... find the baby please. My two year old daughter found it. So if you don't see a baby in this video, then maybe the kool-aid you've been drinking is poisoned and you need to go empty your cup.

www.youtube.com...

The most important part of this clip happens 1:25 into it. It's the moment of conception and it's a much bigger deal than any of you will ever be willing to admit. What happens here is that the 13 DNA carrying chromosomes ejected by the sperm are infused with the 13 DNA carrying chromosomes contained in the egg. The result of this infusion is a BRAND NEW and completely unique human life. It is not a "possible" human life, and it is not just any ordinary clump of cells.

The moment of conception and the moment of death are the only possible places to draw a line between a human's existence and his non-existence.

And my final gripe is for those of you who insist that somehow human life is equal in value to animals and plants. What you fail to understand is that the human being is the most advanced and superior being this world has ever seen, and until either science, ufology, archeology, or religion can PROVE differently, we stand alone as the most supreme beings that exist anywhere in the universe... period.

Human life is special and worth saving.

Abortion for anything other than medical necessity is murder.
edit on 19-2-2012 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

The way of the Master eh?

Yes, let's trust the guy who said Banana's were the atheists nightmare, Ray Comfort and his friend Kirk "Crocoduck" Cameron

I was raised a Christian, and raised to be a "pro-lifer" but my opinion has since changed. Why? Because a fetus isn't a person. It's alive sure and it has the potential to develop into a person it just isn't there yet. We're dealing with something not even developed enough to feel pain (in most abortions), something that has no perception of reality, no thoughts, no emotions, no feelings, no experiences, no memories, etc.

Now all that being said I don't like abortion, personally I think the necessity of such a thing speaks to how bad our species is at reproductive responsibility. We have sex without thinking of the consequences and this leads to overpopulation and also unwanted pregnancy. It's partially not our fault, we evolved this way after all, but now that we've dominated the planet and are draining away it's natural resources overpopulation is threatening the planet.

Pro-Life folks also tend to be anti-birth control, which makes about as much sense as them ALSO being most pro-death penalty. If we had better understanding and availability of birth control, and a focus on sex education and reproductive responsibility, we'd have fewer abortions because people would get pregnant deliberately instead of accidentally.

So abortion is a necessary evil in my opinion (and I use the word evil lightly here), a bi-product of our inability to reconcile our animal instincts against our rise to civilization.
edit on 19-2-2012 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
To all you people who think abortion is okay to do and claim the baby is not conscious its not alive blah blah blah I've never heard so much disgusting crap in my entire life, you people make me $*#& sick! Go to google and look up abortion pictures and YOU TELL ME IF YOU WOULD DO THAT TO YOUR CHILD. The baby is alive and you deny it a chance to live.

Click me for your 180
edit on 20-2-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

No one in the whole wide world can force that woman to become a mother, not even the father of the child she is carrying. Yet quite ironically, that same woman has the power to force that man into becoming a father whether his condom broke or not. Now what kind of backwards ass BS is that?

Indeed, it is backwardass, IMHO. I believe that man (but also woman, its a gender-neutral policy) should have a right to give up both parental rights and responsibilites if only the other parent wants the child, at least up until abortion limit.
edit on 20/2/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 20/2/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75

To the Men in this thread who agree with and defend this point of view, I say cut off your testicles now and just give them to the woman that's holding the end of your leash. You might as well because she already owns them anyway. Come on people! We have given women absolute control over which babies get to live and which babies must die. The fathers of these babies have no say in the matter whatsoever and that is just insane to me.

This has to be the most insensitive sexist drivel I have heard in a long long time.. This is no longer the 1800's for your information and I for one, can't stand, or would have nothing to do with anyone who shares your impression that as a MAN you have the right to somehow dictate how I act, what decisions I make, or imply in some way that I keep them on a leash...... If that is the major basis for your argument, please just take a time trip back to 1950 and live there, this is 2012, last I checked, it was no longer a gender superior society. Men and Women are equal...

Oh and to all men who keep telling me drivel like this... I add When you can give birth, you can tell me what to do about a pregnancy, until then, when you dont' have to go through the hell that it is, you have NO RIGHT to pull that sort of BS.. The moment a man gets pregnant, i will change my mind on this one.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
To all you people who think abortion is okay to do and claim the baby is not conscious its not alive blah blah blah I've never heard so much disgusting crap in my entire life, you people make me $*#& sick! Go to google and look up abortion pictures and YOU TELL ME IF YOU WOULD DO THAT TO YOUR CHILD. The baby is alive and you deny it a chance to live.

Click me for your 180
edit on 20-2-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

Thats fine, you never have to have one ever. But does this mean, we should be anti abortion in America? Once you do that, would you want us to go to war with every country that allows it? When does it end? It doesn't until we realize we can't force our BELIEFS on other people, only facts. When we become a more sophisticated society with sterilization, and you are forced to comply with qualifications before you can ever get pregnant, then this problem will be non-existent.

new topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join