It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Truckers: Warheads on 18 Wheels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

As you weave through interstate traffic, you're unlikely to notice another plain-looking Peterbilt tractor-trailer rolling along in the right-hand lane. The government plates and array of antennas jutting from the cab's roof would hardly register. You'd have no idea that inside the cab an armed federal agent operates a host of electronic countermeasures to keep outsiders from accessing his heavily armored cargo: a nuclear warhead with enough destructive power to level downtown San Francisco.

So the way i understand this article The Office of Secure Transportation is using almost 600 couriers who are constantly transporting radioactive materials,weopons parts,Nuclear bombs between reactors/military bases and labratories on a daily basis using some of the nations busiest roads

In 2010, DOE inspectors were tipped off to alcohol abuse among the truckers. They identified 16 alcohol-related incidents between 2007 and 2009, including one in which agents were detained by local police at a bar after they'd stopped for the night with their atomic payload.

To add insult to injury some of the truckers drink drive and leave their payloads on the side of the road for the night

There have also been accidents. In 1996, a driver flipped his trailer on a two-lane Nebraska hill road after a freak ice storm, sending authorities scrambling to secure its payload of two nuclear bombs and return them to a nearby Air Force base.

Maybe im paranoid but wouldnt this be a perfect way for weopons grade material to fall into the wrong hands or even worse a false flag scenario like in the show "Jericho" where multiple bombs went off in different states,damn the Couriers wouldnt even know someone was about to remotely detonate their cargo
This to me seems an extremely unsecure way to transport this type material and the probability of an eventual catastrophy must be high IMHO
motherjones.com...
edit on 15-2-2012 by Bilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

I had a buddy who trucked this type of material for the Feds. He stated it literally takes much more than an accident to detonate one of these things.

Still, scary to know its right next to you. Maybe that's why you'll never know when and where they are.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
It is VERY... VERY... difficult to detonate nuclear explosives. Modern warheads especially. It's not like a sudden shock will cause a boom. Nope. They're quite stable. Even if you were to take a rifle and ventilate the warhead, you'd just have a leaking warhead. Hit one with a train, and it wouldn't go off, even. It takes a very specific sort of conditions to detonate such a device. It's just anti-nuclear fear mongering. What we need to do is build nuclear power plants in tectonically unactive states that do not grow corn, or contribute to the food supply. Then, we can recycle warheads into MOX fuel. Nuclear power would be the new, clear power, in contrast to the polluting of carbon fossil fuels. Did you know that an amount of nuclear fuel the size of a golf ball could supply enough power for one person's life time? And where to store this fuel? Yucca Mountain. But all the anti-nuclear lobbies are standing in the way, while things like Deep Horizon happen, and fossil fuels pollute the atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

I attended a training session for my work in which we listened to several fellows who drive these vehicles instruct police officers on their procedures. Their procedures are very rigorous. It is not possible for them to screw around much as they are driving. The trucks travel in a convoy of vehicles. You could not detonate the warheads if you blew up the truck, set it on fire, hit it with a train or rolled it down a mountainside. You could not even approach the truck. There are very effective deterrents that would prevent anyone from approaching or touching the truck and its cargo. The trailers are pretty much indestructible and you can't break into them in any way. THe trucks are continually monitored by satellites (there is only one area of the country where there is less than a hundred yards in which the trucks cannot be seen by the satellites. The driver does not leave the vehicle except under certain conditions. If one of the vehicles is stopped by the police, the other vehicles in the convoy will also stop and the lead agent will approach the police to explain who they all are. The driver must obey all traffic laws and if he is stopped, he will be ticketed. He cannot, however, leave the drivers' seat until a process occurs to replace him in that seat and that process takes 30 minutes.

The trucks travel on normal roads at normal times of the day. There are certain facilities they travel between, and we were told a convoy had been through the city we were in just that morning. We could surmise from what they said exactly where the trucks had left from (Texas) and where they were going (Idaho). Our city apparently is on a main route between a couple of facilities nuclear material is transferred from and to.

It was a really interesting presentation. Whenever I travel now I try to spot a convoy. Never have yet, but I think I know what to look for - Peterbilt tractor, nondescript trailer, U.S. Government plates, and at least four normal looking vehicles - vans, passenger cars, suv's, or pickup trucks - that appear to be traveling with them. I won't mess with them if I see them - they are pretty much armed to the teeth and I'm pretty sure I don't want to know what the "deterrents" the vehicles are equipped with. They are carefully monitored and in constant communication with their base. These guys do not mess around.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Fifty trained men could take down a convoy no problem....
They arent that heavily armed, and they arent that many they couldnt be neutralised.
Too bad im too old for such games...it would be childs play really....but a good rush....
You are far too fearful of these bozos.
They have no real imagination. dyuo know that?
And clones are easy meat when they are confused.
All it takes is to sow some extra confusion into a muddled scenario, say a large accident scene or other distracting happenstance (which would of course have to be arranged for them carefully....)
Fifty men would be sufficient margin for near guaranteed success....
What you would do with the goods however is another matter....

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Stealing a warhead from the U.S. would be suicide, and stupid suicide at that. If you REALLY wanted a nuclear explosive, you'd go over to Eastern Europe, and pick up one from the fall of the soviet union on the black market. Now, this would be a horrible idea still, seeing as no sane man wants to provoke nuclear war, but it would be marginally less idiotic than trying to steal such an item from the U.S.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
There are no Star Trek Transporters for things bigger than a quark yet, so I don't think you'll find another way for them to move them.

On that note, that is why one would try to go local. Transportation is a bitch.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by cwg100
s 30 minutes.

The trucks travel on normal roads at normal times of the day. There are certain facilities they travel between, and we were told a convoy had been through the city we were in just that morning. We could surmise from what they said exactly where the trucks had left from (Texas) and where they were going (Idaho). Our city apparently is on a main route between a couple of facilities nuclear material is transferred from and to.

Pantex Plant, Amarillo Texas. (most primary assembly/disassembly of nuclear weapon components).

Idaho National Laboratory, near Idaho Falls. (Various nuclear energy, cleanup & radiological R&D).

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Fifty trained men could take down a convoy no problem....
They arent that heavily armed, and they arent that many they couldnt be neutralised.

Really?

What you would do with the goods however is another matter....

Indeed. Just getting into the inner part of the trailer would be a problem. And you can't outrun a Motorola.
edit on 16-2-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The government transports all kind of nasty things by tractor trailers and they also use marked up trucks as well. You never know what is being transported in those trailers.

new topics

top topics

join