It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Side of Oz: Full Movie.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
People have sat for decades pondering the mystery of the Pink Floyd album "Dark Side of the Moon" played alongside the legendary film, The Wizard of Oz.

"Dark Side of the Rainbow[1] – also known as Dark Side of Oz or The Wizard of Floyd – refers to the pairing of the 1973 Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon with the visual portion of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz.[2] This produces moments where the film and the album appear to correspond with each other. The title of the music video-like experience comes from a combination of the album title and the film's song "Over the Rainbow". Band members and others involved in the making of the album state that any relationship between the two works of art is merely a coincidence.[3]"

"There are various approaches regarding when to start synchronizing The Dark Side of the Moon audio with the film. Several involve the MGM lion as the cue: most suggesting the third roar, while some prefer the second or the first; finally, others suggest starting the album not immediately after the lion's roar, but after the lion fades to black—exactly when the film begins. Viewing recommendations include reducing the film's audio and instead relying on captions or subtitles to follow the dialogue and plot.[6]
Fans have compiled over a hundred moments of observed interplay between the film and album, including links that are perceived if the Pink Floyd soundtrack is repeated through the end of the movie.[1] The iconic dispersive prism of the album's cover purportedly reflects the movie's transition from black-and-white Kansas to Technicolor Oz; further examples include music changes at dramatic moments, and thematic alignments such as the scarecrow dance during "Brain Damage". This synergy effect has been described as an example of synchronicity, defined by the psychologist Carl Jung as a phenomenon in which coincidental events "seem related but are not explained by conventional mechanisms of causality."[7] Detractors argue that the phenomenon is the result of the mind's tendency to think it recognizes patterns amid disorder by discarding data that does not fit.[8] Psychologists refer to this tendency as apophenia. Under this theory, a Dark Side of the Rainbow enthusiast will focus on matching moments while ignoring the greater number of instances where the film and the album do not correspond. Another theory suggests the correspondence may have been assisted by the synaesthetic effects of psychoactive drugs taken by those who then chose to enjoy the album and the film together."

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is the full and accurate version of Dark Side of Oz:

Enjoy this, my fellow ATS friends. I hope that you are well, wherever you are right now.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
curios
2nd

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by chanel

hey very cool, I have not heard of this before.
The dark side of the moon has to be one of the best albums ever released by anyone in my opinion.

I will make further comment in about 1 hour and 42 mins

And cheers, I am well and hope you are too

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Ive heard of this and been curious for years, thank you for posting this!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by chanel

I have done this particular experiment whilst partaking in some fungus of a magical nature......sure blew my cranium to say the least!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by chanel

I was lucky to do it as correctly as possible, maybe four years ago. I'd read that you use the 50th anniversary VHS copy of Oz, then start the cd at the exact moment the MGM lion is starting its third roar at the beginning. Then when the cd ends, stop the vid, put it on again. Do this three times in all. And I apparantly timed it perfectly three out of three, because the soundtrack linked to the movie exactly. One of the most interesting accidential marriage of two entertainment forms to come along.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The nature, rhythm and language of popular art may also be a contributing factor to these synchronicity events. Apart from that the rest sounds great, a very well thought out analysis of an interesting phenomena. From personal experience, being in an altered state does help in focusing on two different media sources and trying to make a combined sense out of both. It does produce some quite funny and unusual message comprehensions at times with all types of movies and music sources producing these situations.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
cool stuff!
always wanted to watch/listen to this. Dark side of the moon has been one of my favorite album of all time (I suggest you also listen to the remix album made by Easy Star All Star - Dub Side of the moon .. if you like reggae kinda music... you're gonna love it)

now let's roll one and enjoy this shall we ?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by brainswippin

Since any talk of recreational substances here is a no-no, by "let's roll one" I assume you mean a marble. Yes, rolling a marble during the playing of the movie is quite meditative.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Yeah! This is an awesome album to listen to if one just wants to chill.

BUT!

When adding the Wizard of Oz to listening to the album,while chilling, one finds themselves in a paradox.

Very fun.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Now that were on the subject of the wizard of oz ... there is also The Secret of Oz.

(taken from the description of the video on youtube)
It is well known in economics academia that The Wonderful Wizard of Oz written by L. Frank Baum in 1900 is loaded with powerful symbols of monetary reform which were the core of the Populist movement and the 1896 and 1900 president bid of Democrat William Jennings Bryan.

The yellow brick road (gold standard), the emerald city of Oz (greenback money), even Dorothy's silver slippers (changed to ruby slippers for the movie version) were the symbol of Baum's and Bryan's belief that adding silver coinage to gold would provide much needed money to a depression-strapped, 1890s America.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by chanel

this was uploaded on Oct. 2013..

the OP's original doesn't come up ..

I found this from looking at the time traveler thread today.. it still fascinates me to no end and the guy that did it in the video did a good job IMO..

ugh .. posted before I watched the video.. def not the greatest sync up film at all .. not sure exactly why he's speeding it up .. but original verison does not and fits perfectly with the full lengh file w/o any fast forwarding..

edit on 25-12-2013 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by chanel

updated full version

now on vimeo.com...

update to my post above this one.. the YT vid is actually not bad, now that I've went back to it, he's highlighting points in the movie, however, the original verision of this from the thread was actually the best...recalling from memory, I think it was the best sync up I've seen so far...being that voices in the film match much more exact than in this Vimeo one...

IMO.. still creeps me out a bit, even thou it's just putting 2&2 together....

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Glad to rediscover this thread, thanks for the links...

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Signals
Glad to rediscover this thread, thanks for the links...

np ..

odd thing is.. I did a 30min search on you tube and most of it is copyrighted block ..even for the sync-up of Wall-E w/ The wall..

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Am I the only Pink Floyd fan in the world who thinks this is nonsense?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

RIGHT AFTER the 3rd roar of the lion,instantly start playing dsotm at 00:00.i did this,it synced up very well.i was stunned.they say a few beers in ya it'll really start to all make sense.

1 famous music cd and 1 famous movie that coincidentally happened to sync together out of nowhere,not buying it.somebody somewhere knew what they were doing.there's too many coincidences to dismiss this as a hoax.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Even Pink Floyd can't make up for the all the over-hyping that The Wizard of Oz is. I'm not watching it a third time, good tunes or not.

new topics

top topics

join