It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WANTED: Troll Filter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This forum is the most advanced and comprehensive one i have ever used. However there is something i find myself craving more and more. A way to "blacklist" certain user names, so that i am spared having to read their nonsensical posts over and over again. This would be a personal setting, so it would not affect anyone else. As an example, in every Ron Paul thread, there are a few names that ALWAYS pop up, always regurgitating the same anti Ron Paul crap, that have been debunked hundreds of times before, like "he is racist" and "he is a homophobe", no matter the context of the thread or it´s contents.

Same thing with the Cold-Fusion(LENR) threads, always the same trolls show up there as well, although they differ from the Ron Paul trolls. Still their trolling tactics are obvious, always attacking Andrea Rossi for his past failures with inventions in an effort to discredit the entire techbranch. Basic character assasination = The hallmarks of a Troll.

It seems the Trolls specialize in certain branches, after awhile you basically KNOW who the regular trolls are BY NAME in that type of thread, even before they make their first post, as there is only a matter of time before they pop up (never seems to fail)

Now i won´t mention any names here, as i am sure most people reading this know what i am talking about.

Wouldn´t it be nice to simply be able to click his name, "add to troll-list" just like you "add as friend", and none of his future (or past) posts would ever show up to you again, as long as you are logged in? To get rid of that troll ONCE AND FOR ALL!

I think this feature is one that would be welcome to many, and since it is a personal setting, it will not disrupt the experience for anyone else.

I simply cannot fathom how this board with all it´s advanced functions, can lack such a basic feature

Can someone explain this to me?

edit on 15-2-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

i would like to take it a step up, and block certain people from even posting in my threads.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Wouldn't it be nice if you got a grip and didn't try to blacklist everyone you deem "Trollish"?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I don't know how you could manage not reading the responses you blacklist because of the "quote" option. It will just regurgitate what they said in someones response to them. Are you opting to hide those responses also?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
reply to post by NeoVain

i would like to take it a step up, and block certain people from even posting in my threads.

Why stop there? Take it up a few dozen steps and have them executed on the spot.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Still their trolling tactics are obvious, always attacking Andrea Rossi for his past failures with inventions in an effort to discredit the entire techbranch. Basic character assasination = The hallmarks of a Troll

Nope! The people critical of Rossi are up to date on all the goings on around him. Including him being offered a million dollars to repeat a test he already did, and his people's attempt to launch a 100 million dollar lawsuit.

Not the most logical actions of someone who is out with his hand, looking for money.

RE Thread: Perhaps the people accusing (of trolls) are the very people they are lashing out against?
edit on 15-2-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
reply to post by NeoVain

We should just be able to pick and choose who is allowed to use the internet at all. In fact, why limit it to the forum, I don't like the way certain people are at my grocery store, residential area, shopping centers...

...Something has to be done about these people!

/end sarcasm

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Ooo ooo pick me, I know why this can't happen! Because it might hurt someone's fewlings

Ugh, trolls... they can't all be eradicated unfortunately. It's like the news, no matter how much it sucks, it can't be just destroyed--only mocked and put to shame with better information

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

I do not know why everyone is being so critical of what you said... it is your right to deny access to something that is yours, if you so choose so. Deal with the consequences (good or bad) on your own, and it shouldn't be anyone else's business--I agree. Though remember, a troll may not ass to the thread but does ass to the reply count, which bumps your thread making it that much more intriguing to others (perhaps even of intelligence). So in a way... trolls help...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
You already have the best troll filter on the planet: Your brain.

It works like this: See a known troll's avatar, and use your mouse to scroll down to the next post. I read everybody's posts, but I have come to know some as having ideas that are so government-worshiping that I simply pass over their offering. No harm, no foul. Nothing against them personally, I just don't care for their views on certain subjects.

I feel they don't have a troll filter or a selective block of certain posters because it interrupts the pure flow of a thread, but if they had one, I probably wouldn't use it.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

The ignore function, unfortunately, will never come back. There's a recent thread about it in the BBQ forum where SO links his initial response. It's a coding thing, I guess, but I miss the hell out of it.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
You already have the best troll filter on the planet: Your brain.

It works like this: See a known troll's avatar, and use your mouse to scroll down to the next post. I read everybody's posts, but I have come to know some as having ideas that are so government-worshiping that I simply pass over their offering. No harm, no foul. Nothing against them personally, I just don't care for their views on certain subjects.

Good point. That is what i find myself doing more and more as well, however it can be bothersome as those trolls tend to use quote alot, so it takes alot of scrolling to get to the next read-worthy post sometimes. I want those seconds back!

I feel they don't have a troll filter or a selective block of certain posters because it interrupts the pure flow of a thread, but if they had one, I probably wouldn't use it.

I would use it. Having an option is never bad, even for those that choose not to use it.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I don't know if it's possible to go off-topic in a rant forum, but I'll try.

I've seen what, eight, maybe ten threads where there is talk about how bad posters are? How is anyone to know if they're causing offense? Nobody ever mentions names. More specifically, how do I know if I'm causing offense? Do I start a thread asking people to evaluate me?

I want to be the best poster I can be, but how do I find out where my weaknesses are?
edit on 15-2-2012 by charles1952 because: addition.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

I've seen what, eight, maybe ten threads where there is talk about how bad posters are? How is anyone to know if they're causing offense? Nobody ever mentions names. More specifically, how do I know if I'm causing offense? Do I start a thread asking people to evaluate me?

I want to be the best poster I can be, but how do I find out where my weaknesses are?

Actually, thats a great idea! everyone should make a thread asking to be evaluated......seriously, it would be incredible and great for the lolz.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I belong to a techno forum that has an 'Ignore' feature for users. You will see their name but not their post. It comes in handy and would probably be very appreciated here

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The good news is users have become sophisticated enough to recognize a troll for what they have been paid to write. The bad news is their tech alerts them to key words quickly and they tend to post early on which derails threads and often prevents good threads from moving up.

Have faith in the system and the intelligence and determination of legitimate members. Important topics will get their due. One day the trolls will be exposed and have to judge their own deeds. Be glad you're a billy goat;-)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

I think you are doing fine if you consider all the facts, weigh the gravity of each item presented properly against each other, and present your conclusion. That is usually opposite of what the trolls does. They usually ignore all the facts and issues raised, choosing instead to use their "tried and tested" weapon of character assasination in most cases. Sometimes they find something else to pick on, and when they do, they often try to use that to discredit everything else as well, even the thread as a whole.

You don´t do this do you?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Yah, we all troll at one time or another. People that do it for a "living" enjoy how they ruffle others feathers. The more you let on the more they do it. Seems anyway. ATS could consider a thumbs up and down feature like YouTube, maybe. If a post gets to many spam votes it could be "hidden" from view. Stars are nice, but what about the "troll" vote?

Or maybe we could just invent one of these:

Containment

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Dear NeoVain,

Thanks for the advice. I hope others see it and get something from it.

But, golly,

I think you are doing fine if you consider all the facts, weigh the gravity of each item presented properly against each other, and present your conclusion.
if that's the standard, I'm going to have to pick up my game.

I do try to avoid the "troll" behavior, but who knows? One of my bosses once told me that it's not important what you do, it's important what people think you do. I've had a couple of reponses from people which made me shake my head and wonder "Why do they think I said that?"

I think I'll try the evaluation thread idea, but I'll wait about a dozen hours, hoping to get a larger audience.

With respect,
Charles1952
edit on 15-2-2012 by charles1952 because: delete excess

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by NeoVain

Yah, we all troll at one time or another. People that do it for a "living" enjoy how they ruffle others feathers. The more you let on the more they do it. Seems anyway. ATS could consider a thumbs up and down feature like YouTube, maybe. If a post gets to many spam votes it could be "hidden" from view. Stars are nice, but what about the "troll" vote?

Or maybe we could just invent one of these:

Containment

So what's up with the '...for a "living"...' in quotes? Surely you aren't suggested there are not paid in currency psyoperatives posting on this site and others?

There have been threads on ATS including admissions from 3-letter agencies stating the fact that they employ professional writers as well as computer generated writers to monitor and post on sites that pose a threat to national security.

The admissions include the caveat that the tactics are used only on foreign sites. I hope nobody is naive enough to think they aren't here?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join