It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you mean american english is the only install option?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by definity

I don't see what the big deal is, you cant read it if there is a few letters missing?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe

Older sources may use programme for computer code.

Looks like I'm an 'older source' then. Thanks for reminding me of my age

I was actually surprised to find that us in Aus use the US spelling.

I always thought a programme was what we watched on the telly, but I always used to program my own code.

we live and learn..

No we don't use US spelling.
Its only been in recent years American Imperialism has been penetrating our country. You only have to look as far as the Labor Government (LABOUR)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26

I always thought a programme was what we watched on the telly, but I always used to program my own code.

we live and learn..

No we don't use US spelling.
Its only been in recent years American Imperialism has been penetrating our country. You only have to look as far as the Labor Government (LABOUR)

I've never used the spelling programme nor seen it in general use apart from a rare few cases.

ABC use the US spelling "iView's catch up service means you can watch television programs after their scheduled broadcast time."

Ten use US spelling "How do I set a program reminder?"

Nine use US spelling "Each and every day, ninemsn publishes popular content from Nine Network programs including Nine News, TODAY, A Current Affair, Underbelly and Getaway."

Seven use US spelling "upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment; "

SBS use US spelling "Download the new SBS Your Language mobile app to listen to your favourite programs."

Labor are just stuck on a century old appeasement to the US, and I still spell labour with a u. Colour, aluminium, sceptic, etc. and certainly not a new thing - they changed it to Labor in 1912.

But I always thought Program was ours, and it turns out it's US. I rarely ever see it spelled as Programmes anywhere.

edit on 16-2-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

we live and learn..

I am American and that's what I was taught as a child. I completely forgot until you brought it up just now. I can't even remeber when it changed.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

reply to post by definity

As for that comment about "buy British software". Lol all your American software is made in India so your one to talk.

That's insulting.. but I guess it was intended to be .. My Aussie friends don't use proper English by the way, there's lots of invented terms in there.. but slang is universal
.. even British people don't use proper British English in this day and age .. slang is a cancer!

- Me ( American software developer )

No its not insulting, if your insulted I think you need to harden up.
Actually Aussies DO use proper english, which is the British english. We spell the same way they do, and pronounce words like they do.
Those Aussies that don't use proper english is because there are cultural differences between Australia and the UK. So we might have some made up words etc, "fair dinkum".
But that doesn't stop us from spelling and sounding the words from the British english language.

Actually the real reason some Aussies use US English is because 99% of our TV is made in the US, & new teachers in schools have to meet FAR lower standards to pass (no offense, but a fact in most nations).

I think the biggest problem we have is not which version of English we use, but if we use ANY of the aforementioned versions or if we follow the sad trend of 'Text' English. I am talking to YOU, not U. It's lazy & making all our nations dumber. Teachers in schools are personally doing, & accepting from students, this rubbish more & more, & lazy parents just give in & go along. It gets worse each generation.

I agree, US English has been butchered (slang isn't really relevant here, that changes town to town) & it's annoying to have to 'translate' traditional English into US, but I fear the Text language is going to hurt us all more.

I'll keep spelling the proper way, there is a U in colour, armour, humour etc etc, & yes, the rest of the world does see that theres a H in the word Herb, its not Erb, thats the one that gets me most

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

We in the UK are being infiltrated by American culture as well.

For instance one of the characters on Coronation Street called trousers 'pants'. And you don't get more British than Corra. Well apart from Shameless...

edit on 16-2-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by EasyPleaseMe

pants and trousers both words were used when i was a young man , and as for the other poster who said that knickers was english for pantie hose was wrong , pantie hose in english is tights , knickers are panties for ladies
and under pants and boxers for men .

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm English and the American English only option can be annoying but there are some English words which Americans have changed for the better (although I'm too stubborn and patriotic to use them) and I'll give you some examples. The words centre and metre, which are of course are the English spellings are spelt center and meter in the US which to me makes more sense, also, I believe cheque is spelt merely as check in the US which again makes more sense to me. There are a good few other examples too and most of them are spelt to how they sound, which is how it should be.

One question for my overseas cousins though, why the hell did you change Mum to Mom? Absolutely no point to that one and for some reason it annoys the frig out of me. Also, just because there are a few words that have been changed it doesn't mean there's the right to give it it's own name as a language, in reality there is no such thing as American English, it's just English with a few minor modifications.

Still, as long as we understand each other.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0rbital
I'm English and the American English only option can be annoying but there are some English words which Americans have changed for the better (although I'm too stubborn and patriotic to use them) and I'll give you some examples. The words centre and metre, which are of course are the English spellings are spelt center and meter in the US which to me makes more sense, also, I believe cheque is spelt merely as check in the US which again makes more sense to me. There are a good few other examples too and most of them are spelt to how they sound, which is how it should be.

One question for my overseas cousins though, why the hell did you change Mum to Mom? Absolutely no point to that one and for some reason it annoys the frig out of me. Also, just because there are a few words that have been changed it doesn't mean there's the right to give it it's own name as a language, in reality there is no such thing as American English, it's just English with a few minor modifications.

Still, as long as we understand each other.

We mostly use proper English here in Aus. but theres some points here. Its early & coffee hasnt kicked in, but here's a sentence to ponder..

"Meet me in the Centre of the shopping Center. One Metre from there we can read the water Meter."

Your actually talking about 4 different words/meanings.

Ditto with cheque & check, I could have made it "Check the meter so they can send us a cheque."

top topics

<< 1   >>

join