It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outright abortion ban introduced to Iowa House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here we go.

This might catch fire and spread to other State Legislatures.

Some other restrictions have been enacted by States in 2011.

There may be a national effort at work here.

Big prison time is being suggested !!!!!!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 17:46 EST -- RawStory article

Legislation introduced to the Iowa House of Representatives on Wednesday would completely outlaw abortion and mandate up to life in prison for those who purposefully terminate a pregnancy.

The bill, House File 2298, was introduced by state Rep. Kim Pearson (R). It would outlaw all abortions, even cases of rape or incest, or to save the life of a mother.

In response, Iowa Democrats blasted Republicans for pushing a divisive social agenda rather than focusing on improving the economy.

Outright abortion ban introduced to Iowa House

from Guttmacher Institute

January 5, 2012

By almost any measure, issues related to reproductive health and rights at the state level received unprecedented attention in 2011. In the 50 states combined, legislators introduced more than 1,100 reproductive health and rights-related provisions, a sharp increase from the 950 introduced in 2010. By year’s end, 135 of these provisions had been enacted in 36 states, an increase from the 89 enacted in 2010 and the 77 enacted in 2009. (Note: This analysis refers to reproductive health and rights-related “provisions,” rather than bills or laws, since bills introduced and eventually enacted in the states contain multiple relevant provisions.)

States Enact Record Number of Abortion Restrictions in 2011

Pros & Cons ??

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

The bill, House File 2298, was introduced by state Rep. Kim Pearson (R). It would outlaw all abortions, even cases of rape or incest, or to save the life of a mother.

No abortion, not even to save the life of the mother.
:shk:

Not much else to say, really. There will be women, who will die.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

No abortion, not even to save the life of the mother.
:shk:

Not much else to say, really. There will be women, who will die.

A bit extreme to say the least !!

I bet they amend some of the bill.

The strong language may be part of a campaign effort.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The Catholic church allows it to save the mother's life. They have to tone it down a little bit if they want it seriously to pass.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Even with a supermajority Republican House in Iowa this would not pass as it stands. They will have to strip it of banning abortions even for risk of mother’s life; that is definite. Even the Roman Catholic Church, as a member above me posted, does not consider that a sin. Still it would likely have to be stripped of banned abortion for rape and incest as well. That would still be a tough bill to pass in the House but I suppose it would be possible.

My opinion is, strip it of ban even when mother’s life is in danger, and I would support it.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

* sigh * Does anyone think these things through before just hopping on the hypocrite train? Most contraception is the blockage of a fertilized egg from implanting ..thus abortion yes? Is the world masochistic ?.... because last time I checked about >80% of the American population is on some type of chemical contraception.

Well well ...gotta admire their effort to stay logically consistent ..outlawing abortion in all cases

Have they thought about precedence on this one yet? (being so logically consistent and all)..like when a good send in the gestapo to investigate all miscarriages is, or the diet, exercise, and stress level police?

How about people on necessary medications that increase the risk of miscarriage on trial for reckless endangerment ? How about mentally unstable patients taken off Meds and thrown in the loony bin until giving birth?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by paleorchid13

All good questions and issues.

But this trend is gaining steam.

Look at the other states .....

Time to write to your State officials maybe ?

new topics

top topics

join