It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's a first time for everything

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Hello everyone, after a couple months of reading through ATS I've finally decided to become a member. I'm an 18 year old living in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I was born and raised in Saskatchewan and only recently moved to the coast. Now that I'm living away from my family and close friends I discovered that there are many things I didn't know about my self, and also realized what really matters to me. The main reason I decided to become a member was because I feel that the majority of ATS members are 30+ and have started to figure out what life is really about. As I read through the various discussions I began to understand that no matter the situation, someone, somewhere has experience in said situation and will give their honest opinion on the matter.

I love to get advice from people older than me, for the good or bad. I believe that your perception is your reality. I take every ones opinion of me to heart, and I learn from my mistakes. I know my generation is the worst one yet and 99% of people my age are blind to the world. Ask anyone over the age of 50 and they will say kids these days are so ignorant, dishonest and shortsighted. I hope that by becoming a member I can learn something from each and every one of you, and maybe teach you a thing or two from my view on life.

The longest roads begin with a single step

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by lukask
Hello everyone, after a couple months of reading through ATS I've finally decided to become a member. I'm an 18 year old living in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I was born and raised in Saskatchewan and only recently moved to the coast. Now that I'm living away from my family and close friends I discovered that there are many things I didn't know about my self, and also realized what really matters to me. The main reason I decided to become a member was because I feel that the majority of ATS members are 30+ and have started to figure out what life is really about. As I read through the various discussions I began to understand that no matter the situation, someone, somewhere has experience in said situation and will give their honest opinion on the matter.

I love to get advice from people older than me, for the good or bad. I believe that your perception is your reality. I take every ones opinion of me to heart, and I learn from my mistakes. I know my generation is the worst one yet and 99% of people my age are blind to the world. Ask anyone over the age of 50 and they will say kids these days are so ignorant, dishonest and shortsighted. I hope that by becoming a member I can learn something from each and every one of you, and maybe teach you a thing or two from my view on life.

The longest roads begin with a single step

Sounds like you'll fit well. I agree with many things you said! Welcome aboard.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lukask

Age is generally associated with life experience and from that, a sort of trickle-down 'wisdom' is then bestowed upon the experiencer. As a concept, it works fine. But in practice?

"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact."
- George Eliot

Welcome to ATS

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
You're absolutely right - your generation is pretty much out of whack! My son (who's also 18) completely echoes what you just said; he finds it difficult to communicate with guys his age because of that... hmm... disconnection. It sounds like your parent(s) did well with you and it's guys like you that make up for the other Gimme Gimme Generation or Entitlementers.

You give me hope and you give me faith in the future - this was a great introduction and I'd like to welcome you aboard with a firm handshake --- however, this reply will have to do!

Welcome aboard bud. Hope you enjoy your stay and I wish to learn as much from you as you would from me!

In Lak'ech
~philth

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

Thanks. You must be a great father for you to know your son that well. (Following for you son) the people that seem the most disconnected are deeply connected to what they know, just because on the surface they seem like ignorant idiots doesn't mean they don't know something you don't. I've found it very eye opening to look at the world from others point of view, and connect to what they know. Life's way more fun when you allow yourself to try new things, even if it seems like a dumb idea.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Glad you've decided to join up, and here is your 25 cent tour (cue music now..)

Welcome lukask

To save yourself a lot of searching and even possible future heartache and frustration, please review the below....

For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now.

Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads in the appropriate forums and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Start Here - ATS Freshmans Forum

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

Be sure to try out our Ask ATS with the 'topic' search words of your choice. I'm sure you will find many threads to pick from to add your thoughts and opinions too.

AboveTopSecret is much like a theme park with many, many rides, so with that said...

Here's a few thoughts before getting onto any one of the 1000's of topical rides at Above Top Secret (ATS), the world's largest Civil & Unique Discussion Community.

* Please check out those links posted above before getting on one of the rides. This will save you a lot of future stress, frustration and possible action by one of your friendly neighborhood Mods!

* Please be sure to act like an 'civil' adult and are at least this tall to get on any of the rides, (Johnny stretches his arm outward).

* Please remember that some members are very passionate and vocal depending on what ride your all on. You should be mentally fit, stable and have a strong stomach for theories, conjecture, research and evidence presented that may be contrary to your own.

* Please be "open-minded" enough to understand that sometimes the ride isn't always what you might expect. Be aware you also might end up learning something new and 'out-of-the-box' before you get off the ride.

* Please note that at times the ride gets overly-heated and "it's strongly suggested" to get off the ride to regroup one's thoughts before continuing. This will also help guarantee that the ride will move forward without getting derailed or explode into a fiery trashbin.

* Please have fun! But be aware that if you act in an uncivil-like manner, use profanity, intentially spread a hoax and/or get verbally abusive, you will be removed off the ride by a Moderator. This is not only for your safety, but also for those both young and old on the ride with you.

So buckle up, keep your arms within the ride's comfort zone, have fun and "Deny Ignorance"...!

Johnny

new topics

top topics

join