It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginian- 1st offense DUI means required ignition interlock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
www2.timesdispatch.com...

First offense DUI's now are required to have an ignition interlock device. This means that no matter if you blew a .08 for your first DUI, you have to blow into a device every time you start your car, and every 30 minutes (i think) during driving.

I'm all for people not drinking and driving, but I have a few serious issues with this law. First of all, if a person drinks the night before and drives home the next morning, they will frequently fail the BAC test. So, they have to go back to court and possibly go to jail.

The main problem I have with this is the fact that this will result in many people getting repeat DUI's, which already have very strict penalties in Virginia. This only feeds money to courts. DUI's have huge cash penalties, as well as classes like ASAP where you have to pay ($400 here) to take them, and then pay $25 every time they decide to give you a pee test.

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lldd182
www2.timesdispatch.com...

I'm all for people not drinking and driving, but I have a few serious issues with this law. First of all, if a person drinks the night before and drives home the next morning, they will frequently fail the BAC test. So, they have to go back to court and possibly go to jail.

Over the legal limit is over the legal limit, no matter if you finished drinking 8 minutes ago or 8 hours ago.

The main problem I have with this is the fact that this will result in many people getting repeat DUI's, which already have very strict penalties in Virginia. This only feeds money to courts. DUI's have huge cash penalties, as well as classes like ASAP where you have to pay ($400 here) to take them, and then pay $25 every time they decide to give you a pee test.

Thoughts?

Only people who have already commited the offense of driving drunk will have this, meaning they have already shown an inability to make safe decisions. Your comment about only feeding money to the courts, I disagree, it will also keep drivers from driving when they are over the legal limit and have already been busted for doing the same dangerous thing.

Drunk driving is a serious problem in America, and this is a good step to combat it.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

These things won't start your car if you're over 0.02, not the law's 0.08. so people cannot drink at night and drive the next morning, or they have to go to court and probably go to jail. happened to a family friend's son (30 days)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Is there any way to prevent someone else from blowing into it for you? Perhaps a passenger? Seems to be ways around all things.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

haha of course, and i've known people that have done that but my point is that i find it unfair.

Not to mention one of these devices costs you about $1000 to get installed, and you have to get it in every car you drive by law.
And the fine for a DUI is about $1000, plus about $500 in legal fees, plus a lawyer which is usually over $1000 for a DUI, up to about $9000.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Sorry, but if you drink and drive your lucky if all you have to do is get an interlock installed and/or pay fines. Regardless of how much the fines are.

top topics

join