It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honduras Prison fire kills hundreds - screams heard on tv news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I just got a call about this. Apparently someone in the prison called another saying they were going to set the prison on fire. The man who had the keys for the cells couldn't be found and over 300 inmates burned to death. I have no tv so I'm still looking online for the vid but he said he could hear them screaming as they burned.

My word. This world..... inmates or not, that's a brutal horrific way to die.

www.reuters.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

Some sites say 275, some say 350. Regardless. This is just horrific.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
what a tragedy ! , that is true . Nobody deserves to die that way . Couldn't find the keys are you kidding me. You don't have back up plan there for such situations! of course not . Over population , broken prisons have hard enough time with up keep , let alone extra safety !

"We're placing them into bags in parts because when we grab them, they disintegrate," he said

what a sad event . What is even more sad is people who would think they deserved it .

In 2003, a fire broke out after a riot in another prison in northern Honduras, killing 68 people. A scandal ensued when an investigation found that police and prison staff had shot and stabbed inmates in the melee.

Nope they don't learn .

The government pledged to improve the crumbling prison system but just a year later more than 100 prisoners were killed in a fire in San Pedro Sula. Survivors of that blaze said guards fired on inmates trying to escape or left them locked up to die.

wow ! i understand hard economic times , and cut backs ! but there is a fine line. These people are still human beings .
edit on 15-2-2012 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Sounds like a miniature holocaust to me. Justification enough to do away with all prisons worldwide. No one deserves this punishment. Never forgive, never forget.
edit on 15-2-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Precisely. This is being called the worst prison fire in their history. And the police tear gassed frantic relatives trying to get in. I'd be frantic too! Obviously the fire would render my loved one unrecognizable but my god. All you want to do is run in there and pull them out, believing they may still be alive though horribly injured. My heart goes out to all. Every last one.

But I don't know about that coward who started the fire wanting to kill everyone and himself. How heinous.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Terrible there locked in cages like animals and confined when burning to death. it must have been awful. This is one of those social issues I hate because theres a mainstream in the conversation when it comes to things involving prisoner and their rights. Those people will say they are prisoners but they are somehow sub human. I studied Criminal Justice and ill tell you iv seen alot of cases and I really do believe society manufactures crime. I dont want to rant because this is a good post, but its just sad... If rights are god given then how can people take other peoples rights. they are from god . not yours to take.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

looking for more....

According to some sources I've been listening to the prison was built in the 1940s. The census was 850, but was overpacked and well over census capacity limits. Initial reports indicate over 350 prisoners died, and perhaps as many as 150 may have escaped.

update: 356 people from the prison roster are unaccounted for, out of 852 total.

Honduras has the highest murder rate of any country on the planet according to United Nations reports.

Details on reports:

(Reuters) - A massive fire raged through an overcrowded prison in Honduras, killing more than 350 inmates, many of them trapped and screaming inside their cells.

It was one of the world's worst prison fires and was apparently started by one of the inmates late on Tuesday night at the jail in Comayagua, about 75 km (45 miles) north of the capital Tegucigalpa.

By the end of it, 359 people were dead, said Danelia Ferrera, a senior official at the attorney general's office.

(Reuters)

edit on 15-2-2012 by ILikeStars because: Add stuff

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I'm terrified of fire. The thought of being trapped and burning... Dear Lord.

The administration should be prosecuted for this.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

The ONE person with all the keys could not be found???

Someone is getting fired.

The prison was built in the 1940s. And each cell had it's own specific key. And the ONE person with those keys could not be found.

Me thinks someone who was a prison guard yesterday is going to be a prison inmate tomorrow. It's one thing to not do your job right, it is another thing when not doing your job causes hundreds of people to be burned to death or choked to death by hot smoke and lack of oxygen.
edit on 15-2-2012 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

The ONE person with all the keys could not be found???

Someone is getting fired.

The prison was built in the 1940s. And each cell had it's own specific key. And the ONE person with those keys could not be found.

Me thinks someone who was a prison guard yesterday is going to be a prison inmate tomorrow. It's one thing to not do your job right, it is another thing when not doing your job causes hundreds of people to be burned to death or choked to death by hot smoke and lack of oxygen.
edit on 15-2-2012 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

I disagree with you.
I honestly don't think they give a #.
He's not going to jail, however he may get "dealt with by the neighborhood".

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Multiple by at least dozens and you have what USA officials covertly did to thousands of its own innocent New Yorker civilians -

roasted them alive in a metropolitan showcased high-rise twin inferno

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Sounds like a miniature holocaust to me. Justification enough to do away with all prisons worldwide.
edit on 15-2-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

Really??? and where do you expect them to put criminals who would rape and kill your family? Rehab?

Sure it's a holocaust like execution that's horrific but to say let's do away with all prisons? Where is the logic in that?

It's obvious that this was done to cut down costs and over population. That can be seen just by reading the country's history. What gets me is how this is allowed but when Libya and other countries try and turn their countries around for the better the UN steps in to smash it.

Forget about the pirates and what's going down in Sudan and the likes... The Saudi's have the oil so that's where our focus is...

IMO this gives evidence that the government is only interested in areas where resources are when it comes to human rights...

More double standards...

new topics

top topics

join