It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does this Russian saying mean - "all sewn with white thread" ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Can someone please help with with this?

I'm transcribing something and the phrase cropped up. It's used like this:

"I'm not going to talk about Putin, it's too much, 'all sewn with white thread,' and I do not need to explain that either."

but Google is not helping me here on this one.

If anyone Russian, or anyone who could explain what this turn of phrase means could help, it'd be much appreciated.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

I have only heard that phrase once before, and though I never asked what it meant, the way in which it was used seemed to be, kind of like.. "spraying perfume on a casket"-type of meaning. Sort of, something is bad, or typically unclean, but it is presented in a clean way - if that makes sense. I really don't know how to put it into words, though.

Plus, I could be totally wrong and talking out of my ass.

Edit: And yes, I'm Russian.
edit on 15-2-2012 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Can you provide more context? What is the surrounding text? I'm not Russian but have roots in surrounding areas. Hopefully you'll get someone who is Russian who can say for sure. These are what I have so far:

1) White thread was often used in pearl decoration and sewing of garments and can represent the opulence of that particular time during Russian history.

2) It has a war time meaning attached to it. Often the patches of the Germans and Russians were white thread.

3) There is an old folk lore forgive me I forget the specifics about a dove carrying a white thread that was shot and when someone saw it mixed with blood (red) it looked like a Martenizta. White thread symbolizes peace and the read the blood the soldiers shed.

(Now that I think about the 3rd one may make sense if Putin is "talking peace" but his actions are shedding blood.)

It could also be symbolism taken from a song, literature or poem in Russian.
edit on 15-2-2012 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

Edit: Aren't corpses mouths sewn shut? Perhaps that's the reference. Unclean like a corpse..death etc.
edit on 15-2-2012 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thanks man, this was my kind of presumption also but I wanted to be sure.

The guy who said it is Russian so I thought it was a saying from there, my mistake lol.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
aww man now i'm activated MUST KILL LINCOLN!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Scope and a Beam
Can someone please help with with this?

I'm transcribing something and the phrase cropped up. It's used like this:

"I'm not going to talk about Putin, it's too much, 'all sewn with white thread,' and I do not need to explain that either."

but Google is not helping me here on this one.

If anyone Russian, or anyone who could explain what this turn of phrase means could help, it'd be much appreciated.

Hi! My answer comes much later, but could be useful for someone having the same question. First of all, one does not necessarily be of Russian nationality in order to use that phrase. I am a Bulgarian national and I know that saying since I was a little boy. It means that something false is presented as true, original and trustful in a very unconvincing way.
Most common example: "Your story is sewn with white thread".
Meaning: Your story is an obvious lie.

I hope it is clear enough.
Cheers!

top topics

join