It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If The Future Has Died?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Now bare with me here.

I have recently been pondering the nature of time and our ability (or lack of) to travel through it. After some research, I have reached a distrurbing thought.

Could the future have died?

My reseach began with the recently (disputed) discovery that Neutrinos may in fact travel faster than the speed of light. If these Neutrinos can indeed travel faster than light (FTL) it could pave the way for some (albeit small) forms of time travel. For example, sending messages back through time.

It is argued that if Neutrinos can travel through time, why haven't we received any messages for our future selfs?

Well I ask, what if there is no future?

What if a catastrophe has happened in the future that means theres nobody left to send the message?

Hell, what if Time itself has died?

Not to worry to much though, as I'm likely wrong. I just thought I share my nightly thought provoking thread.

ALS

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I once believe I received a message from my future self. I was scrying in a bowl of water when this much older man began looking back at me, it freaked me out, but after a few seconds I realized it was me, from some future date, looking back in the water. It was very odd.......

No message there other than to look into my own older eyes.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Or the possiblitie that our future self has been sending messages but we are unable to recognize it as such

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

That is strange, perhaps your timelines met somehow. Perhaps you and your future self looked in the water at the exact same time, only on different 'timelines'.

Very weird, but very cool.

ALS

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by leawyoming

It certainly is a possibilty, perhaps the above posters experience was a message from his future self. Using the science of FTL Neutrinos.

ALS

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Or if they could send messages would they be aloud to send them to the past ... would that change events
alot of responsiblity comes with playing with the past or even the future
maybe why he just got a glimpse of himself and not a message

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I personally think it was just me at some future time doing the same thing I was doing then, and opened up some sort of window that me and myself both looked into.

If that makes sense.
Wasn't a big deal to me, just freaked me out because the me looking back was crazy looking...lol That was almost 20 years ago when that happened.

I should avoid bowls of water lol
edit on 15-2-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
im sorry, i like your theory and all but its just not plausible.

the future cannot exist because that would mean that things in our present already happened to make the future exist.

its tough to explain through typing but i will try my best

say for some reason the future actually exists and you get a message from your "future self" in order to recieve that message they would have to send it back in time to what we consider present day, now in order for them to send something to present day it would mean that they would have to send it back in time, which means the future would actually be the present and that what we consider present day would actually be the past, follow me?

it is impossible to believe the future is real and that time travel is possible, because the future hasn't happened yet, if the future did already happen that would mean that it would be present day

confusing aint it

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
your thinking to linear .... if we can look at star in the present but actually see its past then why cant our present actually be our past and the future has already happened time is an illusion

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I often ponder the same question my friend. I tend to think that this existence is a fractured timeline that has splintered from where Humanity is 'supposed' to be. Infinite possibilities lay on infinite paths. The one we are one is simultaneously existing with all others, it is only our relative perception that identifies this one as the 'real' one. Time is a form of energy and I really do think you may be right in your hypothetical extrapolation, perhaps one day soon, the energy will be used up and changed into another, as yet, unfathomable form. As such, it does not provide us with a relative future existence. Having said all that, I truly believe that this is only applicable to the physical universe we are in now and that the ethereal universe that we are striving to 'graduate' to as a species is not affected as such.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I once believe I received a message from my future self. I was scrying in a bowl of water when this much older man began looking back at me, it freaked me out, but after a few seconds I realized it was me, from some future date, looking back in the water. It was very odd.......

No message there other than to look into my own older eyes.

My son had this happen. His future self came into his room, sat on his bed, and talked for about 30 minutes. My son, now in his late 30s, tells me he wonders when he will visit himself as a child.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
The neutrinos thing was probably a miscalculation, GPS was used AFAIK. Easy to have mistakes.

Anyway, interesting theory nevertheless.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Considering that Einstein predicted a phenomenon called "time dilation", and this phenomenon was already proved, I think that TIME is an issue that's much more mysterious than any other, much more mysterious than bosons, quarks, or anything else.

And regarding the existence of "multiple timelines", well, the "many worlds interpretation" of quantum mechanics supports that...

edit on 16-2-2012 by GLontra because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2012 by GLontra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

The future does exist, every choice we make determines what the future will be. For example I know tha tomorrow I will be going to work. But tomorrow when I am at work, it will no longer be the future but the present.

The mind set you have chosen is caused by not properly understanding a phenomenon called 'brain time'. Brain time is basically that the brain can only experience itself in the present (it's actually experience itself slighty in the past but thats for a different post).

It's all very cool and strange.

ALS

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

I'll just throw in one more idea. What if indeed time travelling or sending messages from the future was possible and something went horribly wrong ending in whether destroying many timelines or even blocking the future to occur because somehow it led to mankind final extinction.

Also, nice to see such thread as I many times dwelve in such topics, and really love time travelling subject as not only science fiction theme.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gigaherc

The problem with that theory is that you would never be able to 'destroy' the timeline you were sending the message back too.

Because if you did, you would never have that timeline to send back too.

It's a paradox.

ALS

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'm still not certain why traveling faster than light, transcends time. I understand the reasoning, in terms of perception. But I don't understand how you could incorporate faster than light speeds, to manipulate a time which has already happened.

How could we turn around, incorporate neutrinos to carry a message backwards? Would we "point" the message to a spot the earth was at a specific time, and hope we grasped it then? And if we could, wouldn't just talking about it, manipulate what we are already doing? haha.

Time travel makes me think weird crap. wow. Sorry.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I used to find money in pockets of jackets and shirts, kinda thought it was from the future self.

OP interesting thought about Neutrinos. Sure is getting harder to see down the road a piece.

new topics

top topics

join