It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for advice about school, my life dilemma.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Hey guys, so I'm 21 years old and I've always hated school but I still continue to go because I am one of many who are brainwashed, except I've come to realize that years ago. I goto college, I'm in my third year and school gets harder and harder and as semesters go by I get more tired of going. I've been brought up in private schools and it's been embedded in my head by the schools + parents and family that basically you're going to be poor unless you goto college(now mind you these people telling me these things over the years never went to college). I'm not the kind of person who needs money to do things, I actually don't like money very much. What are your guys' experiences with school? Did you go? did you drop out and why? I've seriously been brainwashed to think I won't be successful or happy unless I complete it. My grandma says that "college are the best years of your life" when actually they have been the WORST years of my life! I'm not into drinking and drugs, I barely hang out with any friends like I did in high school, and I wake up every morning trying to figure out what I want in life and what my purpose is, I've never been so confused and depressed in my life until college, and it seems to get worse as time goes on. I'm ranting here more than anything, but it would help to know that there are others out there who are or have been in the same position. Thanks for reading.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Yeah I'm in the same boat basically, but once you're 3 years deep its better to finish the 4th year and walk away with a degree. Other than college you can pursue trade skills which actually make a great deal of money, but that also requires much skill and training.

It really comes down to what you want to pursue in life. Personally, not many degrees in college interest me, and I don't really plan on working in the field that I'm majoring in after I get a degree; I want to pursue some hobbies like music before I'm too old then many settle in. Good luck getting a job out of college anyway, the economy is still garbage.

People flash statistics about college and it's true, people who don't have a degree generally perform worse economically, but money does not equal happiness.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'll be 3 years deep after this semester, but i've been taking 12 units a semester so it will be another 2 years lol. I just really don't know. Since I have no motivation towards one specific goal I don't perform well and don't feel like it's worth it...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Thyhorrorcosmic

Honestly? I say stick at it.... or end up like me!
I never went to university because I fancied my chances in the real world, making money instantly and everything. I'm not materialistic by any means but a bit of extra coin in your pocket is always a good thing right?
I tried to get an apprenticeship in Carpentry and Joinery because I figured it'd be great to earn money and learn a skill at the same time, and everyone needs luxury wooden furnishings right?
However, the industry basically collapsed and I lost out on 3 apprenticeships at great firms because the companies were going under and they couldnt fill their order books.
Now I work in a factory that makes office chairs, I spend most of my working day either bagging and packaging chairs or fixing castors to bases and let me tell you, the real world is not what it is cracked out to be!
My wage is £2.60 an hour because im a first year apprentice but the work load is horrible but i cant quit because I cant find another job due to youth unemployment being so high... I am truly in a dead end job and it gets worse too.
My company used to employ 90 workers, now they employ about 60 due to the decline in the market.

I hated school, the worst days of my life, but I would strongly suggest to stay at it! You are in your third year so you cant really gain anything from dropping out can you?
Times are hard at the moment but its got to pick up hasnt it?
Anyway Good luck in whatever path you choose,

SW

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

family that basically says you're going to be poor unless you goto college

to an extent that is true.

society nowadays wants you to have that paper.

to prove you're competent.

i don't agree nor disagree with this.

it's just the way it is.

What are your guys' experiences with school?

hated it, all of my time i spent at homework is shown at my steam account. (about 2000+ hours of counterstrike)

Did you go?

yeah i forced myself to go, just like you.

did you drop out and why?

yes i did.

because i F-ed up.

i smoked to much of something i can't mention here.

i was too immature and too lazy to do anything for school.

i had the mental capacity and all, i lacked drive.

I wake up every morning trying to figure out what I want in life

i did as well, still do sometimes.

but i need to tell you a little more about my lifestory.

i'm 23 at the moment btw.

i dropped out of school when i was 16.

i messed up THREE years in a row and dad decided to pull the (financial) plug.

i needed to pay for my own education if i ever wanted to go back to school.

so i got a fulltime job at 16.

spent 3 years of my life working and saving a nice buck.

then i went back to school.

about 3 weeks ago i finished my education and currently looking for a job.

so yeah, pretty much went through the same ordeal as you.

but the three years of fulltime working did it for me, it opened me eyes.

it thaught me a lot:
- work etiquette
- working in a team
- learning from your co-workers etc.

but it also showed me that THIS (working fulltime) isn't what i want right now.

so i went back to school.

because of my nephew being diagnosed with borderline i decided i wanted to be a healthcare worker.

so far i'm still enjoying it!

hope this helps a little!!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yep as the previous(first) poster said finish your school. You are basically property of the state so to "own"(rent) anything you need to pay "rent"(tax) to the state. For that you need money, one way or the other. Life is impossible without money, unless you're willing to start learning how to live in the wild. There is almost nothing free in life, because the state makes it so. You need to understand that you are not free, you are the states property and even when you supposedly own something it is not yours, but at the very least the state holds the right to it, and you just rent it by paying taxes. The only way to achieve freedom is to move into the wild without letting anyone but your closest relatives know, building your own housing(which is quite easy if you know how) and farming+hunting. But are you ready to give up entertainment and modern comforts to be free? If you want to be semifree, then I suggest finishing your school, going to work for 1-5 years and then leaving for far east Asia/India/Africa to enjoy the "strong" dollar, depending on how long you spend working it will support you for years or even a decade in there. Then when you start running out just return, work more in some #ty job leave again. Rinse and repeat.

But finish your education.
edit on 15-2-2012 by Shred because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Shred

sure he must finish his education.

but there's no shame in taking a little bit of time off.

clear your head, get your motivation back.

because let me tell you.

when you lack motivation you're going to flunk in school.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I would agree with 'StrangeWayz' on this. Stay in school. You do not have to be an A student. Smartness is not determined by grades. But whatever you do, do not quit. Stay in school and graduate with a Degree.

It is difficult but its well worth it in the end. I paid for my own tuition by working full time and studying part time towards a 4 year degree. It took me forever but now I'm at a point as I look back, its was all worth the while.

Not everything you learn in the school will be used in the reality but it open your mind and imagination to several possibilities.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

The US or Brit armies will be offering wonderful opportunities to see the world in a few months if they can get these wars provoked..
Hang in there.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I had a great time in college and was in a fraternity but basically college is a scam. If you live on campus you get the fun of college without the tuition cost, but since you say its not for you, just get a job. If you dont want a job, stay in college cause its easy, but if you are willing to work hard, get a job, itll occupy your time so you are not bored and depressed, and if you work for a corporation they pay for college.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I really enjoyed college, the social part of it anyway. The degree is just something you need and its seems you need for any kind of job beyond entry level. Honestly I think a dergee is highly overated but, the fact it is, it carries more weight than just about anything else in the job market. Stick it out you have come this far.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
reply to post by Shred

sure he must finish his education.

but there's no shame in taking a little bit of time off.

clear your head, get your motivation back.

because let me tell you.

when you lack motivation you're going to flunk in school.

I agree that there's no shame in taking time off, but I disagree that if you lack motivation you're going to flunk. I should know. Spending 1-2 hours each day on school work shouldn't be a problem even if you couldn't care less, it's all about willpower; willpower comes from setting a goal and going through with it no matter what. I went through university like that, smoking pot every day, drinking when I felt like it, but always after I finished studying what ever was required. School is easy unless you're stupid.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Most people go to college and into careers out of ego and/or that of their families' egotistic expectations.

The way I see it, a productive life is about the middle path and selflessness.

Therefore, a noble life is in either helping others (ie, healthcare) or the planet (enviroscience)

or both

If you already have productive hobbies, those are insightful as to what you will love doing, they say do what you love and you never have to 'work' a day

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You are young and it's your life! I hope you find your passion and can do that for a living or least make a living doing something you enjoy that gives you time to do the other things you enjoy.

I had that same "you have to go to college" deal thrown at me, too. I got a Masters degree and only worked 3 years in the field.

Get your degree and live your life. If your parents aren't happy with your choice, tell 'em its your life. They'll adjust.

My son's friend got an engineering degree and got a job working at a 4 star hotel in Colorado so he can do this:

Wish the absolute best for you - whatever direction you take!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
My opinion is that if there's something else you want to do, like if you have a job prospect for something that interests you that you think you would enjoy, I don't think you necessarily have to finish school right now. You could go back later if you want. Or decide not to go back. It doesn't have to be a straight line. I'm a lot older than you and I think that a lot of what we are taught is just a lot of brainwashing and hype. You can do a lot without college and you can do a lot with it. It all depends on YOU. What you want. What your goals are. You're the only one that knows that. But whatever you decide it's not irreversible. It's not like you make one decision and if it's wrong your life is over. If you decide to stay but you hate it.... oh well. If you decide to leave and realize it was a mistake, you can finish later. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys. I get what you all are saying but no matter what road you go down you will always end up with a job. You say don't goto college and get a job? ok, you so goto school instead? well after school you just end up getting a job too, only difference is they say it pays more. School isn't easy and I'm taking a pretty hefty major (kinesiology exercise science). The reason why school has become such a hassle especially at this moment is because im at the point where I have to take anatomy and physiology. I try to study a lot but I still end up getting #ty grades, I'd be doing back flips if I ended up with a C in the class, afterall thats all I need. But I really do feel sorry for the nursing majors, they HAVE to get an A in anatomy + physio to even be considered into the nursing program. This may sound silly to you all but I believe in the 2012 phenomenon strongly, and I don't mean "the world is going to end"...but that we will ascend into a new dimension. If that happens will I still be driving to school? lol no, I highly doubt that it will even exist, for your physical perception and awareness will be totally advanced. I know it's not concrete enough to base my life decisions on, but if it does happen it will all seem like a waste, that instead of being depressed and miserable I could be enjoying whats left of this 3rd dimensional materialistic world. I'd imagine in the 4/5d world since its thought of as non materialistic that nobody will be trying to get degrees to get more money lol... Just a thought.

top topics

join