It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Im On Anti Depressants....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I take Citalopram.

The side effects only last for two weeks. This is the most important thing to remember because at first it will make you want to stop taking it. There will be diarrhea, insomnia, and lots of yawning. Take Immodium for the diarrhea, if the insomnia gets too bad your Dr. can get you a sleep medication.

I would give it at least two weeks. If you feel as though this medication is giving you mood swings, then you may be misdiagnosed. This happened to me, my diagnoses changed, we added another medication, and all is well here

Don't worry about taking medication. A lot of people take medication for illnesses every day that don't want to. You have a legitimate illness that needs to be treated. Don't worry if this medication ends up not working for you, sometimes it takes several tries and several combinations to find the right mix. It has taken me a long time to get it right.

I wish you the best, be open and honest with your Dr. Citalopram helped incredibly with my anxiety.

-Val

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
I think pills are never the answer. But that's just me. I had a pill problem and it took a lot of fight in me to get off them. Whatever pill you agree to take make sure your body wont become chemically dependent on them. Because lots of pills are "safe" until the dependency forms.

Citalopram does not cause a mental dependency. The only "dependency" there is to speak of is the one that exists with any psychiatric medication, you must stop taking it slowly in order to prevent a relapse. There is no addictive aspect to this medication.

This medication is actually used to help people who were once chemically dependent on other types of medications.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

thanks for the advice, i fear the non sleeping part the most as i always have trouble sleeping. Its 3.25am and im just about to go to bed and im up at 8am.

nice hat btw

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Hello ATS!
Ive been lurking for about 3 years now. I saw this in the new topic feed and felt like I HAD to share my experience.

in May 2010 I was prescribed citalopram. I had just got out of a disaster of a marriage, jumping into another horrible relationship, feuding with family, losing friends on top of childhood issues coming back full blast

I was one of the people who paired up my medication with an awesome therapist and quickly learned the root of some of my problems. October 2011 I made the decision to come off of this particular pill. #1 I have no medical and paying for this prescription and all of the other medications my doctor said I "needed" was just killing me!
I thought I was bad ass kicking these pills! I knew I could handle my problems with out them and was ready.

For exactly 32 days I thought I was dying....The doctor told me that these pills were non habit forming and I wouldnt have any problems should I discontinue use. That may be true for some people but I did a search online and a lot of people were feeling the exact same way. Coming off of citalopram was by far one of the worst moments in my life (Im only 25 though). It was terrible. I had horrible thoughts of suicide, I tired to end my amazing relationship, flu like symptoms, EXTREME nausea and vomiting, I couldnt even go anywhere for days because I would vomit. After 2 weeks I wanted to go back on them just to get over the withdrawal but I stuck it out and I am glad I did! I am now off all of those pills I was prescribed.

Dealing with depression is really hard, The prescribed medications CAN MASK the situation... helping short term. I personally felt like they numbed the real me. Sure, I was happy but, I wasnt working as hard at all! Just do lots of research! I was amazed at how easily my doctor prescribed me so many medications.
*citalopram
*zoloft
*lamictial
*wellbutrin (is actually very good for anxiety but gave me really bad acne and an insane sex drive)
*lexapro
*xanax
and when he prescribed me prozac it was OVER! Once he prescribed me that, I knew this doctor was a freakin joke!

If you decide to take it, definitely look into pairing your medication with a therapist. I was lucky. I call mine my guardian angel...
edit on 15-2-2012 by imightbe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I have suffered from depression for almost twenty years now and I have suffered panic attacks from time to time. I find that generally something like panic attacks are usually caused by an underlying psychologial issue. I'm not saying your insane but cleary your panic atttacks are caused by something. I belive that you would benefit for cognitive behavioral therapy. Now medication does have it's place but it sould always be a last resort. Medication has never worked for me. As other members have said there is no substitute for a healty lifestyle. Hang in there, things will improve.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
SSRI's are probably THE worst drug you could be on ever

Anyone that I ever knew that took SSRI's turned into a zombie mentally and emotionally

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Anyone who isn't a even a little depressed or anxious these days probably isn't paying attention to the events going on in the world! Maybe you're just particularly sensitive to the suffering you know is going on,and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I've read that a lot of anti-depressants rely on the placebo effect. But then,when the pills don't "work",and you're still depressed,you'll end up thinking there is something wrong with You. You might jump from one pill to another,always looking for something outside of yourself to fix you.

If you've made it this far without much medical intervention,you shouldn't start now,imo. It'll just be one more thing you'll have to worry about having,thinking you can't get by without it,when the SHTF.

Just please,don't buy the lies of thinking it's not "normal" to be depressed. These ARE depressing times!

Find some solace and peace spiritually,ride out the tough times,and you'll be stronger for it.

(Of course,the age old advice of diet and exercise helping are always worth heeding.)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by thedarktower

I would recommend giving this a watch, it does last long but it is worth it...

The problem with anti depression tablets is that they take away feelings that are there for a reason and the end result is that you change nothing in your life. If you finally do ever feel better enough to stop taking the tablets, you will just slide back into depression and the tablets once again as the cause of the depression is still there in your life.

I also believe that diet plays a big part, a healthy body is a healthy mind. I switched my diet to grass fed meats with vegetables everyday instead of supermarket junk.

Morning exercise, even 10 press ups or sit ups just after you wake up before breakfast is a big booster to your day. Meditation is also not a bad thing to try if you feel anxious.

Good luck and I hope you get better.

edit on 16-2-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedarktower
Firstly, im not sure where to post this so MODS feel free to move

I have been suffering from panic attacks and general anxiety for some time now and I was always turning down medication as I don't fully believe taking a pill every day in life is the answer, but things have got worse and I decided to give it a shot.

Today I went and spoke with my GP, he offered me Citalopram

en.wikipedia.org...

I took the offer, as things have not been good lately and a friend of a friend suffered from the same anxiety problems as I do and she said they did help her. From what I have read up on the drug, it is safe, can help and seems to be ok, but.....

I just don't know, are pills really the answer? i would like to do more exercise but part of my anxiety involves the fact i can't always go outside due to panic attacks, so perhaps these would help?

Im just curious as to what people on ATS think, i know most are against big Pharma and all the pills, but are they all that bad?

Also, has anyone else had such problems, if so, how did you deal with them? Has anyone taken this particular drug either?

Just asking, i have never heard of the drug, I know it will not work over night, but living with anxiety can really bring your life to a halt, stop you from enjoying life, I really just want to be normal and if pills are the answer, perhaps its the last option, but its still an option.

Any advice will be taken on board. Thanks

I was the same as you, and reluctantly started medication just because my Mum was hassling me. I was on Citalopram.

I can tell you it worked for me. I was on 20mg a day, I think.

Just a word of warning, the first dose or 2 you take will make you feel very feint. I would say have someone around if you can, just so you don't worry yourself. Because you are gonna feel like you've been poisoned when it first kicks in.

Citalopram does work though, and if you can take it without side effects then i'd say to continue with it.

IF you do decide that medication isn't right for you then be careful to ween yourself off it. Don't just go from 60mg a day to nothing. You have to carefully get yourself off it over say 2 months.

I took it for 1 year then gradually took myself off it, because if it works you don't need to stay on it forever. You here a lot of nonsense about medication but in that case I don't believe it's dulled my senses, it hasn't quelled my intelligence, it hasn't turned me into some drone, and I'm still generally anti-pharma. But if you're seriously depressed you'd be an idiot not to try it and don't listen to any of these people who think they know what's right for you. You're not an idiot or a bad person for taking medication for a serious, debilitating social problem. Anyone telling you that is a halfwit who's never been in your position.

The problem with drugs though is that they effect people different way. You can put any drug in the world into a google search and you'll find thousands of people telling you how awful and unpleasant the drug is. But for most people it's just not the case.

You aren't supposed to drink with citalopram, supposedly it gives you an epic hangover. Yet I was out on Friday and Saturday pretty much binge drinking by any normal human beings standards, and I was fine.

Different drugs different effects. Try it for a week, I'd say. Don't be put off by the first day or 2 which can leave you very sickly and a little disorientated, that wears off almost immediately.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

Originally posted by thedarktower
reply to post by seedofchucky

yep, i know there are many areas i need to look at, one of them is definately my diet. I do not eat regular, or eat the correct balance of healthy foods i should. Though sometimes i feel so low i just wont eat or snack instead of eating a good healthy meal. I know i need a kick up the arse to be honest with my eating and exercise, but hopefully one step at a time i can get into that way of living. Thanks for the advice
A good diet really does help, never underestimate that.

3 square meals a day if you can manage that, try and get into the habbit of eating breakfast.

Oh and try to exercise... lol
I know, when i was depressed that was the last thing on my mind and it was almost physically impossible but even lifting a heavy book up and down will help, honestly.

Sleep too. I used to have really eratic sleeping times, often staying up all night and sleeping through the day at random. I changed that also

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
The side effects only last for two weeks. This is the most important thing to remember because at first it will make you want to stop taking it. There will be diarrhea, insomnia, and lots of yawning. Take Immodium for the diarrhea, if the insomnia gets too bad your Dr. can get you a sleep medication.

Not necessarily. Aside from feeling nauseous for 2 days I had 0 side-effects.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
The problem with anti depression tablets is that they take away feelings that are there for a reason and the end result is that you change nothing in your life. If you finally do ever feel better enough to stop taking the tablets, you will just slide back into depression and the tablets once again as the cause of the depression is still there in your life.

Speak for yourself.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Take a look around on Citizens Commision on Human Rights in California..America is hurting people with some medications being pushed on people...Just be careful..and if the meds make you sick..stop taking them..you should know after about 2 weeks..Myself..I dont trust anything but antibotics..the old ones.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
yep, i know there are many areas i need to look at, one of them is definately my diet. I do not eat regular, or eat the correct balance of healthy foods i should. Though sometimes i feel so low i just wont eat or snack instead of eating a good healthy meal. I know i need a kick up the arse to be honest with my eating and exercise, but hopefully one step at a time i can get into that way of living. Thanks for the advice

My reply to dark tower

The diet thing is a true symptom of depression....I would say take the tablets to get your life back...I have been on Cipralex for a long time...thats encitalopram. I started off on 20mgs and have cut down to 10mgs a day and feel very well. It will take 3-6 weeks to kick in...But if you have any dark thoughts you must go back to your Dr and get them changed. My father was naturally serotonin deficient so I have a clinical/medical reason for taking it but 10 mgs is all I need to fulfill my happy life...Panic attacks aren't dangerous but can play havoc with your blood pressure and nerves and who wants to carry on like that not enjoying life?...I am sure I'll get slated on here because of the people who don't agree and think its a quick fix...But they don't have the problem...and you want to enjoy life...and feel normal again ...right?.......

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

In medical school here, pills sometimes are helpful but a majority of the time, many cases of generalized anxiety and panic can be treated with modifications in behavior. Citalopram is a very powerful anxiolytic and sedative, which has the capability of producing tolerance. OP, please use the drug with it is absolutely necessary, especially for severe cases of anxiety.

Exercise would be a great way to reduce stress and get those natural endorphins in your system that will help you feel better. I hope all is well.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Jools

Depression and anxiety are the direct result of a chemical inbalance in the brain.

The jury is still out on the reason for the inbalance....but know that every thought and emotion you think/feel has a corresponding chemical reaction. For example, when you are scared your body floods with adrenaline to help you fight or run away. The adrenaline doesn't last long, which is a good thing. Too much adrenaline and you go into a state known as "hyperarousal." Basically, it means you're constantly "alerting" too danger, so your body floods with adrenaline, which makes you more nervous, etc. etc. etc.

Anti-depression medications work in a couple of different ways, and since there is no blood test to determine the root cause of your depression, doctors are forced to use trial and error. One form of inbalance involves serotonin, a neurotransmitter directly linked to mood, anxiety, In a normal brain, serotonin is released and absorbed in adequate amounts.

However, there are a few ways serotonin can be problematic. If the neural transmitters don't reabsorb the serotonin, you can have a problem. Or perhaps the brain doesn't produce enough serotonin or the serotonin never reaches the receptor sites. All of these problems could lead to mood disorders.
Information about Serotonin

So, with the different possible problems with serotonin, there are different medications. Some work on producing more serotonin. Other meds work on the synaptic connection. Since its impossible to tell what the basis of the problem is, docs have to "guess" and use trial and error for meds.

Another neurotransmitter that plays a possible role in depression and anxiety is dopamine. Dopamine is the "feel good" chemical....when you see a baby laugh or hug a family member, that good feeling comes from a surge in the dopamine levels. Interestingly enough, new research indicates that lack of dopamine is often self-treated using drugs, cigarettes, or alcohol. Dopamine is also associated with addiction.
Information about dopamine

You mentioned food.... many depressed people tend to overeat. Do you find yourself craving chocolate? Chocolate is associated with serotonin, and it is theorized that people who consume chocolate in large quantities do so as a way to "self-medicate."
chocolate and depression

I've dealt with depression for most of my teenage and adult life. I've taken different medications until I found a combination that works for me. But medicine alone is not enough. If possible, see a cognitive therapist or counselor who can help you recognize core problems that might be contributing to your depression.

Also, exercise is a must for treating depression, as is thinking positive. Remember, every thought has a corresponding chemical reaction. If you constantly think "I'm no good, everyone hates me, I can't do this," it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Meditation may help you with this.

In short, to summarize my long-winded response, your experience with depression and anxiety will be unique to you. Try the medication if you want, but be willing to switch medication to find the right fit. It generally takes about a month to notice a difference in yourself when taking a new med, so be patient. Definitely find someone to talk to and share with....this could even be keeping a journal. Exercise every day. Meditate every day.

And of course, think happy thoughts!

Best wishes on your journey

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thank you for your very informative post but I have to strongly disagree with the eating side...a lot of depressed and anxious people do NOT want to eat.....same as some might possibly overeat (but percentage wise i would lean on the side of non eating/non activity therefore not needing to eat).....
And everyone;s case is not the same as another's...But falls into the categories you have highlighted.

I know of lots of people who are on anti depressants who did not want to eat, get out of bed etc.......face life etc....

Your post was spot on so please don't be offended at my slight disagreement.....
Now overeating/obesity and reading about those people in the press...yes they have issues...but they seem to be more complex and putting those people on antidepressants compounds their ability to function (I'm referring to the recent spate of 40 stoners- who seem to be wanting to get in the Guinness Book of Records) but they have all told their stories and said it began with depression....I would imagine doping them up would only speed up their demise......so they are just left to eat and eat!...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join